Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2015, 07:22 PM   #1
Shacky

First time car wouldn't start for me

After taking long ride with the wife I dropped her off then had another 30 minute drive. Parked and came back out 10-15 minutes later and car would not start. Cranking like crazy but nothing like it was out of gas. I thought maybe it flooded. Temp gauge was into the "0" of 180 but certainly not hot enough to shut it down. Went back in store to let it cool off just in case. When I came back out still nothing. Waited another 10 and while waiting I noticed puddle under car towards front of cabin area. After a little panicking I crawled on ground to stick my finger in puddle hoping it wasn't oil or antifreeze. It wasn't. Just water - looked like condensation from AC but this car's so new to me I wasn't sure before feeling and smelling.

Something told me to turn off AC before starting and...started right up.

Now I don't know if turning off AC had anything to do with it but I'm puzzled and could use your advice.

It's a '99 with 75K.

shacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:13 PM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

Pay attention to if the tach moves as it turns over if it fails to start. When it fails, there's some testing to do while it won't start. Water under car is from AC. Turning that off had zero impact.

You know, I never considered dropping my wife off, then taking another personal drive. Good thinking.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:35 PM   #3

This is a classic for a failing CPS (crank position sensor) which tends to fail when hot. Starter cranks the engine OK, but it refuses to fire. Its not particularly difficult to change and is not too expensive.
Use the search function using CPS....
Old 06-16-2015, 06:37 PM   #4
Shacky

Thanks guys! Glad to hear one fix isn't expensive

shacky is offline   Reply With Quote