986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I can't believe I could be so (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57574)

78F350 06-13-2015 07:39 AM

I can't believe I could be so

Stupid, ignorant, careless...
Late at night I was checking over my wife's Boxster before she planned to take it for a day-long drive. I noticed that the windshield washer fluid was empty.
In the dark.
In the driveway.
In a hurry.
I unscrewed the cap.
I poured the washer fluid.
...into the brake reservoir.

***words that will not display***

I realized what I was doing the moment it started to flow from the bottle, but it was too late. I could not make it unflow.

***words that will not display***

I hate to waste a good flush, so today I am putting the repainted calipers intended for my car onto hers. :(

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1434209774.jpg

thom4782 06-13-2015 07:53 AM

Did the washer fluid float to the top? If so, it might be a good idea to suck it out before it gets flushed through the system. I don't know if that will make a difference, but it can't hurt to put less washer fluid through the system during the flush.

Hummer-addict 06-13-2015 08:21 AM

Oh man...I'm sorry to hear this...definetly gotta flush the system now...

78F350 06-13-2015 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thom4782 (Post 453688)
Did the washer fluid float to the top? If so, it might be a good idea to suck it out before it gets flushed through the system. I don't know if that will make a difference, but it can't hurt to put less washer fluid through the system during the flush.

I'm not sure, but I think the brake fluid floated to the top. My brake fluid and washer fluid were both blue. Changing the brake fluid to gold to see that it all flushes.
I sucked all I could get out of the reservoir, then disconnected the lines from the master cylinder to drain it.
Taking it slow and step by step today with lots of breaks.

Tip: Do not put much torque on those little screws that hold the rotor to the hub. Just put some loctite on and snug it. With the wheel on, it is not coming out anyway.
Getting mine off today, one stripped out and had to be drilled.

thstone 06-13-2015 09:45 AM

Oh man, sorry to hear this. At least you can correct it yourself - mostly a PITA rather than any real damage to the car.

And I hate those little f'ing rotor screws. They always strip out.

husker boxster 06-13-2015 10:23 AM

I'm not sure how, other than being in a hurry and thinking of multiple things, but I did the opposite - I poured brake fluid into the windshield washer tank. And to add injury to insult, I got my turkey baster out and put the sour mix into the brake fluid can, contaminating the 1/2 full fluid that was left.

I decided to take a 10 min break and focus better. Then went back to Porsche to buy another $38 can of brake fluid.

steved0x 06-13-2015 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 78F350 (Post 453707)

Tip: Do not put much torque on those little screws that hold the rotor to the hub. Just put some loctite on and snug it. With the wheel on, it is not coming out anyway.
Getting mine off today, one stripped out and had to be drilled.

I actually used anti-seize on my screws, they had enough built in loctite-ness that I could barely get the out...

Hummer-addict 06-13-2015 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husker boxster (Post 453717)
I'm not sure how, other than being in a hurry and thinking of multiple things, but I did the opposite - I poured brake fluid into the windshield washer tank. And to add injury to insult, I got my turkey baster out and put the sour mix into the brake fluid can, contaminating the 1/2 full fluid that was left.

I decided to take a 10 min break and focus better. Then went back to Porsche to buy another $38 can of brake fluid.

Much easier fix...:rolleyes::D

KRAM36 06-13-2015 05:23 PM

Bummer deal, the calipers look really nice though.

Toppy986 06-13-2015 07:30 PM

I found a stupid way to get the rotor screws out, we'll sort of. I was changing the plugs with the wheels off, started the engine and let the clutch out in gear with the park brake on, sheared the little screws right off, funny how when we hear a loud bang the first thing we do is look for oil on the floor.. After cleaning my pants saw the screw heads on the floor. some times we really do dumb things, it is a testament to the strength of the park brake.

healthservices 06-14-2015 08:13 AM

Don't forget to bleed the clutch if the car has one as the reservoir is shared...