986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How the hell are Porsche's so reliable? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57556)

Porsche9 06-10-2015 08:06 PM

How the hell are Porsche's so reliable?

Reliable yes, but only when properly maintained. I've had four and they all loved to be maintained and enjoyed eating $$ out of my bank account.

Interesting article that I came across and thought other members would be interested.

How The Hell Are Porsches So Reliable?

BIGJake111 06-10-2015 08:14 PM

Showed this one to the family. Gotta love his writing style, the ongoing bash of land rover models never gets old.

Luv2Box 06-11-2015 06:49 AM

I'm convinced my Boxster's ECU has an electronic link to my on line savings account and knows when I get a few bucks ahead and throws a code so I have to spend those vacation bucks on it.:ah:

Perfectlap 06-11-2015 07:02 AM

That wasn't a very good answer by the writer.

First of all, half of Porsche's fleet (slated to sell 200K cars total this year for the first time) are Boxster/Coxster, Carrera (all 48 variants) and the billionioare's car (aka 918 Spyder) which are all either sports cars or grand tourings. These are not daily drivers. And even the Cayennes for many families is a third car. These rankings/ratings should be based on cars of equal mileage across each brand. If only 30% of Porsches reach the mileage of 80% of Lexus cars, then only that 30% should be compared head to head. I think the Japanese would be a country mile ahead in the luxury car department if it were done this way.

And the idea that inherently an enthusiast car will eventually start to show big weaknesses if given enough time and mileage is bunk. Visit any track day or autocross and you'll see Miatas with engines that are the same age as some of the actual drivers attending yet these well-beaten cars remain bullet proof.
I'm not sure that Porsche/BMW/Audi/Merc ever figured out how to build a car with that kind of long-term durability while also preserving that steep margin for their wallets. When they decided to give it a shot they nearly went bankrupt and no one was interested in buying, even with a U.S. economy firing on all cylinders.

Also, the writer infers that the IMS is "kind of a big deal problem" for the 996, which is antiquated information. For at least six years there's been a way to address this flaw without having to remove the engine to weld coolant pipes or tear it down, as is the case with the older Porsches mentioned. Provided that you stay on top of the oil changes with a quality oil, proactively replace the water pump once the IMS is serviced, you can probably expect the best combination of low maintenance, highest performance among Porsche engines at the lowest cost to acquire. Well until the 9A1 engines start coming in below the $30K used car line.

flaps10 06-11-2015 08:17 AM

JD Powers is about the first 90 days of ownership. That's still honeymoon phase with any vehicle.

Deserion 06-11-2015 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flaps10 (Post 453388)
JD Powers is about the first 90 days of ownership. That's still honeymoon phase with any vehicle.

AFAIK there is the Initial Quality Study (Porsche was #1 for 2014 survey), and also the Vehicle Dependability Study which reviews cars 3 model years prior on their original owners (Porsche was #9 for 2014 survey).

KRAM36 06-11-2015 10:01 AM

My car is 12 years old with almost 118k miles. It's never left me stranded. I would say it's a very reliable car.

Hummer-addict 06-12-2015 06:49 AM

Mine had no issues till I paid it off...then my coolant bottle went and oil seperator...found out the hard way to only use oem parts and got to do the coolant bottle twice as it kept pushing coolant out the overflow!:mad: I still love the car so next I did the IMS,clutch,flywheel, slave, clutch fork, water pump, thermostat...only 50,000 miles it's reliable but maintnence can be pricey! :ah:

Perfectlap 06-12-2015 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hummer-addict (Post 453505)
Mine had no issues till I paid it off...then my coolant bottle went and oil seperator...found out the hard way to only use oem parts and got to do the coolant bottle twice as it kept pushing coolant out the overflow!:mad: I still love the car so next I did the IMS,clutch,flywheel, slave, clutch fork, water pump, thermostat...only 50,000 miles it's reliable but maintnence can be pricey! :ah:

Mine was bullet proof until the 70k mile mark. Most reliable car I'd ever owned, only one unexpected repair costing more than $100. Once the 70K mile mark was crossed, nearly everything let go. And this was a car that although driven year round, was only taken out of the garage on weekends. But what I didn't factor in was that 70K year round miles that include very tough winters and very hot summers are a lot tougher than mild weather mileage. People who are considering a water-cooled Porsche with high mileage should bear in mind where in the country the bulk of the car's mileage occurred.
These cars are reliable but were not engineered for year round, four season long-term durability. And the cost of repairs do not scale down with age.

Hummer-addict 06-13-2015 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 453516)
Mine was bullet proof until the 70k mile mark. Most reliable car I'd ever owned, only one unexpected repair costing more than $100. Once the 70K mile mark was crossed, nearly everything let go. And this was a car that although driven year round, was only taken out of the garage on weekends. But what I didn't factor in was that 70K year round miles that include very tough winters and very hot summers are a lot tougher than mild weather mileage. People who are considering a water-cooled Porsche with high mileage should bear in mind where in the country the bulk of the car's mileage occurred.
These cars are reliable but were not engineered for year round, four season long-term durability. And the cost of repairs do not scale down with age.

Mine is only driven in summer...maintenance is pricey but what a great car when it's running great!:cool:

Giller 06-13-2015 02:00 PM

They say the best things in life are free.....those people never drove a Porsche!