Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2015, 05:47 PM   #1

Anyone repair their console hinge and not use the kit ?

I have my console out right now for the installation of a short shifter, I figured I might as well repair the hinge where the dirtbag who robbed me broke mine almost a year ago. Looks like the hinge area is just under 3 inches in width, was browsing Lowe's and looking for a solution but before I proceed I thought I should inquire here first.

PS if you are removing your console and have the Bentley manual it is wrong, there is a hidden screw under the useless coin holder that is not shown in the manual.

Also I am toying with the idea of lightly sanding mine and painting it flat black with some of the plastic paint that is now available...anyone tried that ?

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:33 PM   #2
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
I repaired mine using the kit. All the kit contains is a hinge and a few rivets if I remember correctly. I'd imagine a similar hinge and rivets would work just fine.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:20 AM   #3

I've used the plastic black paint from Autozone. Since there were scratches, I had to sand the original finish off. I then sprayed on a couple coats. I sprayed the second coat from a further distance to give it the rough texture. I was impressed with the results.
jklaspok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:13 PM   #4

Garage
Here is the link i used!

Fixed my armrest hinge in less than 25 minutes - Porsche Babblers
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:08 PM   #5

BIt the Bullet

Ordered the Porsche repair kit

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote