986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   1999 Boxster wont crank (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57479)

g.macrae 06-05-2015 12:07 PM

1999 Boxster wont crank

Dear all,

First, thanks for all the information gathered in this forum!
Unfortunately I still have troubles with my baby Boxster :(

Back story:
I have only 1 key and the remote no longer works (long story short, pushed the remote button over 365 times not in range of the vehicle), but ignition always worked good.
Put the battery back in the boxster after winter, started right away, no problem.
Last 2 times I drove it, she had trouble starting when the engine was hot (after pit stop and refill at gas station).
I had to crank it 2-3 times but after 3rd attempt it started and drove fine.
Few days ago I tried to start it to go wash it for the week end.....and nothing!
Dash is all lite up, I hear the clutch pedal click, but then nothing, no crank at all.

I tried jump start it, another battery fully charged etc... still the same.

So based on what I found it could be anything from:
- bad battery (doubt it since i tried another one and tried to jump start without actual battery in the vehicle)
- blown fuse (couldn't find one that was blown)
- bad clutch switch (how can I jump it?)
- key switch (easy fix apparently??)
- bad key transmitter (Fingers crossed it's not, since it had trouble starting b4)
- Bad alarm module (doubt it since it is bone dry and clean)
- bad starter solenoid-relay (rare)
- bad starter
- Other ???

Is there any way I can trouble shoot better before throwing parts at it?
Can I jump the starter to make sure it cranks for ex? I'm new to the Boxster not sure where its located etc...

healthservices 06-05-2015 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g.macrae (Post 452661)
Dear all,

First, thanks for all the information gathered in this forum!
Unfortunately I still have troubles with my baby Boxster :(

Back story:
I have only 1 key and the remote no longer works (long story short, pushed the remote button over 365 times not in range of the vehicle), but ignition always worked good.
Put the battery back in the boxster after winter, started right away, no problem.
Last 2 times I drove it, she had trouble starting when the engine was hot (after pit stop and refill at gas station).
I had to crank it 2-3 times but after 3rd attempt it started and drove fine.
Few days ago I tried to start it to go wash it for the week end.....and nothing!
Dash is all lite up, I hear the clutch pedal click, but then nothing, no crank at all.

I tried jump start it, another battery fully charged etc... still the same.

So based on what I found it could be anything from:
- bad battery (doubt it since i tried another one and tried to jump start without actual battery in the vehicle)
- blown fuse (couldn't find one that was blown)
- bad clutch switch (how can I jump it?)
- key switch (easy fix apparently??)
- bad key transmitter (Fingers crossed it's not, since it had trouble starting b4)
- Bad alarm module (doubt it since it is bone dry and clean)
- bad starter solenoid-relay (rare)
- bad starter
- Other ???

Is there any way I can trouble shoot better before throwing parts at it?
Can I jump the starter to make sure it cranks for ex? I'm new to the Boxster not sure where its located etc...

Welcome

okay...

no crank?

Or crank and no start?

Big difference and just want to be clear.

Jamesp 06-05-2015 03:59 PM

lights work but no crank sounds like the clutch switch and yes you can jump it. I personally would only do that for troubleshooting or I'd start the car in gear.

healthservices 06-05-2015 04:03 PM

yep, if it is a no crank, push start, and see if it will go. if not push it back up the driveway... :mad:

g.macrae 06-05-2015 07:15 PM

hi healthservices.
last time I drove it, I had to crank a few times before the engine would finally start.
The starter would turn the engine for a few sec and then stop without starting it.

Now starter wont even turn.

jamesp, no problem for me not to have the switch, none of my European cars ever had such device....I can just disconnect the switch and jump it with lets say a paperclip?

healthservices 06-06-2015 04:48 AM

At your starter has two wires one big thick wire, and one small little signal wire, tap into the small signal wire. You should have battery voltage there when you turn the key to crank. If it does not, that is your issue and you should find out why there is no signal. If it does have battery voltage, then your problem is at the starter.

Make sure the car is not in gear and apply battery voltage from the car to the signal wire, engine should crank over.

The ignition switch is a common issue with these cars. It is easy to replace. And fairly cheap, If you mail order it can cost less than $10 but typically less than $50

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk