Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2015, 03:45 PM   #1
Rookie

Garage
Help with a used suspension deal.

BILSTEIN Sport Suspension KIT Front + Rear Struts Assembly.
Eibach lowering springs.

All for $450, donor car is a 2002 S 60k miles, exact milage on suspension unknown. I would love to lower my car an inch or two. However, I also love my 19" SSR GT3 rims. I have 10mm spacers on the rears. I can take some specific measurements if it helps answer the following questions:

1. Is it as good of a deal as it seems? Parts guy claims the Bilstein kit alone is $1200. He says no signs of leakage.

2. What can I do to verify that I can actually use the lowering springs? Parts guy claims hes not sure exactly but it looks like it lowered the donor car about 1" to 1 1/2".

3. How much can I expect my ride quality to suffer?

Any input, at all, would be helpful. I know nothing about suspensions. I dont track the car. Mainly city driving with occasional spirited back roads driving.

Last edited by TypeA; 07-29-2015 at 03:49 PM.
TypeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:21 PM   #2
Rookie

Garage
Well I guess its a wait and see on question #3. From what I can find Eibach ride the best for street applications. Ive found conflicting reports on who lowers the car more, HR or Eibach.

Quotes for install have ranged from $850 plus alignment to $450 alignment included. That was asking the generic springs/struts install question. What I purchased has the springs already installed and for all I know that will save me and take me under the $450 quote Ive already received. Heres a shot of the front and rear assembly. I also have a new soft top waiting for install, and a windbreaker that may eventually ship out of China...but I figure Ill get the struts installed before the new soft top sometime in the next week or two. Ill get some before and after pics and measurements for anybody in my situation (clueless) and considering this upgrade in the future.

Front assembly:

Rear assembly:

Old 08-10-2015, 06:57 AM   #3

Garage
I saw the same ad this weekend and was pretty interested, that's a pretty good deal! But I bought a used M030 kit 2 weeks ago... Let us know about the new ride
EJ-Fresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:21 PM   #4
Rookie

Garage
Got these installed and still learning the car. As I pull out of my driveway it slopes down to the street and I can hear the struts compress. Is this normal?