Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2015, 11:55 AM   #1

Help Releasing Seat Belt

I just purchased a set of used seat belts for my '00 Boxster. They arrived and the belts are completely retracted. I can't release any belt because each time I pull on it it locks. Can anyone tell me what the trick is to release the belt from the mechanism? Thanks for the help.

hahnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 02:33 PM   #2
Usercpy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hahnster View Post
I just purchased a set of used seat belts for my '00 Boxster. They arrived and the belts are completely retracted. I can't release any belt because each time I pull on it it locks. Can anyone tell me what the trick is to release the belt from the mechanism? Thanks for the help.
Try a little WD40 first. that worked for me.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:50 PM   #3

chances are your inertia locks are locked. inside a seatbelt retractor mechanism, there is a weighted pendulum which hangs straight down when installed in the car. when this pendulum is not hanging straight down the reels lock.

when your car is in motion, on a smooth surface, the reel is unlocked. when you hit the brake, accelerate hard or corner hard, the reel locks. this is caused by the disruption of this pendulum hanging straight down.

in order to unlock the inertia lock, you need to find the sweet spot then the reels will unlock. it would be advisable to get some big binder clips (those big ass paper clip things), and when you unspool the belts to clip them in their extended position.
rdass623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:17 AM   #4
Registered Boxster abuser

I agree, retractors must be in the mounted position to extend.

healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote