Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2015, 05:20 PM   #1

father in law drops it on me..

my f.i.l. gave me his 2000 boxster as payment for work. It was sitting on his driveway for several years due to a horrible crash on his Harley. it smells of mold inside and needs months of rehab….

can someone tell my the major things to do get it running good? should i pull out gas tank and clean it out? i know oil and filter must be changed… what is a good oil and filter to buy? i know genuine parts are the safest. if a long time owner can give me a heads up on what is in my future.. i would be so grateful. I'm in new Orleans and like to jazz it up

labowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:28 PM   #2
Beginner

Garage
Congratulations, let me be the first to say "pictures or it didn't happen". Don't take the tank out. You can drain the tank by removing a quick disconnect on the firewall behind the drivers seat. its under the car, above a plastic shelf just in front of the engine. You'll need a fresh battery and you'll have to jumper the fuel pump relay. Timco just did that. New fluids are in order, then fire it up!
Old 05-27-2015, 05:37 PM   #3
I am my own mechanic....

The first thing you need is a press. As in printing press. Then get the plates for $100 bills, usually on eBay. You'll need a lot of paper, too.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:05 PM   #4

First, there are a thousand threads on here about oil and filters. Sit back, use the search, and prepare to be amused and bemused.
Second - not a bad idea to get it to a Porsche mechanic for a once over. Get it up on a lift and take a real, close look at suspension et al.
As Timco said - these cars can cost a mint, so best be prepared.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:16 PM   #5

How many years do you mean by several years?

it sounds like your FIL may be finally repaying you for more than just your labor.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:24 PM   #6

Old 05-27-2015, 07:21 PM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
The first thing you need is a press. As in printing press. Then get the plates for $100 bills, usually on eBay. You'll need a lot of paper, too.
Now that was damn funny! True and funny.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:24 PM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

In all seriousness, I'd put in some fresh gas, oil, and a filter and see if it fires. If the engine starts, then I'd follow up quickly with an entire major service.

Then I'd drive it until I found a problem.
Then fix it.
Then fix it.
Then fix it.

You get the idea...

If you can DIY some of the work, I would recommend a stack about 20 high of those home printed $100 bills to get you through the first year. If everything has to go to a shop to be fixed, go 30 high on the stack. And that will just be to get it and keep it mostly running. Rehab will take a separate stack...

Did your F.I.L. mention that there are no cheap Porsche's?
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 05-27-2015 at 07:34 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:15 PM   #9

also in new Orleans here. if you need some help with your new boxy feel free to private message me. I have figured out my way around the 986 and would be willing to assist you when I can.
rdass623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdass623 View Post
also in new Orleans here. if you need some help with your new boxy feel free to private message me. I have figured out my way around the 986 and would be willing to assist you when I can.
^^
+ 1

isn't this place cool or what..?
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:34 AM   #11
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
^^
+ 1

isn't this place cool or what..?
Oh, he'll ask about oil soon enough...
Old 05-28-2015, 02:28 PM   #12

Not to mention the CATS…….
Alfieg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:16 PM   #13

Don't let these guys put you off. The Boxster is probably one of the most reliable Porsches you can own. True sitting is never good for a car, but after a routine change of fluids, perhaps plugs and wires, a thorough cleaning of the interior, you should have the car back up and running presuming there were no prior major problems.

Pictures!!!
black_falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_falcon View Post
Don't let these guys put you off. The Boxster is probably one of the most reliable Porsches you can own. True sitting is never good for a car, but after a routine change of fluids, perhaps plugs and wires, a thorough cleaning of the interior, you should have the car back up and running presuming there were no prior major problems.
Did you actually manage to keep a straight face while you typed that? Most peeps budget about $2K a year upkeep on a healthy Boxster. I'm betting this one will be at least double that for the first couple of years until he gets it sorted out, if he's lucky. Moldy interior, sludge in the gas tank, gummed up injectors and fuel filter, mouse nests in rotted wiring, toxic old oil, another mouse nest in the air filter... it could be pretty scary. Any bets on what he'll find between the rads and the condensers?

Hey Randall, you gonna weigh in on this one? (Randall refers to his as the black hole for dead presidents)

Last edited by Mark_T; 05-28-2015 at 06:51 PM.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:46 PM   #15
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:

Pictures!!!
Reliable within the Porsche world....

I'll compare the repairs my car has seen against the '00 Ranger with twice the mileage and incomparable work loads. Guess which one has seen more water pumps, fuel pumps, fluid changes, suspension parts, and so on......

This is a high maintenance car at 11 years old. Unless you can afford to feed it properly and maintain it proper, be it yourself or at an Indy, it's not the car for you. Lots more attention per mile average than anything I've ever owned.

No regrets, however!!
Old 05-28-2015, 11:35 PM   #16

Quote:

I'll compare the repairs my car has seen against the '00 Ranger with twice the mileage and incomparable work loads. Guess which one has seen more water pumps, fuel pumps, fluid changes, suspension parts, and so on......
I've been around the block with british cars, you don't even want to go there, trust me.

Quote:

This is a high maintenance car at 11 years old. Unless you can afford to feed it properly and maintain it proper, be it yourself or at an Indy, it's not the car for you.
Any 11+ year old car is going to require attention and a repair budget. I don't doubt this car has the potential to be a money pit, but the fear mongering on some Porsche forums is unlike anything I've ever seen.

My face is still straight
black_falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:44 AM   #17
Beginner

Garage
Quote:

This is a high maintenance car at 11 years old. Unless you can afford to feed it properly and maintain it proper, be it yourself or at an Indy, it's not the car for you. Lots more attention per mile average than anything I've ever owned.

No regrets, however!!
Timco, Speaking of reliability, did you get your fuel pump sorted?
Old 05-29-2015, 03:34 AM   #18

I'll reinforce that any vehicle that is over ten years old and/or has been sitting for a long time will require a fair bit of maintenance before hitting the road.
As a somewhat recent owner on the used Porsche scene, I'll try to summarize my experience for a little perspective. Some have had a horrible experience, most have had a good experience. I'd guess mine is average.

I have two '99 986s. 97,000 miles and 140,000 miles. One I've had for two years, the other for 6 months.
I took each to a reputable Porsche independent shop for a once-over. Very important on these cars to keep them up.
The first one (97,000) had been fairly well maintained, but required just under $2,000 in maintenance to be put in 100% good form. After that , it was my daily driver for a little over a year and needed nothing. (still needs nothing other than regular fluid and filter services).
The second one was much more neglected and higher miles. Had been sitting awhile. Bought as a daily driver-work car. It needed a bit over $3,000 in maintenance before hitting the road. Since then, it has been very reliable (like the first one). I drive it over 3,000 miles per month as my job requires lots of traveling. Original alternator went out, a couple of leaks were fixed, original rear control arm replaced. Otherwise has been a rock and has never stranded me. Has been through floods, blinding snowstorms, long stretches on dirt roads, highway, city, and a minor accident. Still chugging. Gets a clean bill of health at every service interval.
Will they remain ths way long-term? I can't answer that yet, but that has been my initial experience with Boxsters.
The point is, it's likely going to be a stiff initial investment since it has been sitting. After that, you could have a nice car that you enjoy for years. Just be prepared to shell out more than the average car when it does need something.

PS: In recent years, I have owned a Jeep, Land Rover, Nissan Pickup, and Ford Focus (all about the same age as the Boxsters) as work cars. Except for the Nissan, they were all less reliable than the Boxsters have been (the Rover, insanely less reliable) and not as much fun to own.

Sorry for long-winded post. I thought some detail was needed.

Last edited by Retroman1969; 05-29-2015 at 03:48 AM.
Retroman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:55 AM   #19
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
Timco, Speaking of reliability, did you get your fuel pump sorted?
[frownie-face]

NO. I am full of fail and disappoint. Indy says oh, I can get these in fast and now it's Thursday. If it's not in his hand today in an hour and a half, I'll buy a plane ticket and fly to where one is I guess.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:59 AM   #20
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
I've been around the block with british cars, you don't even want to go there, trust me.

Any 11+ year old car is going to require attention and a repair budget. I don't doubt this car has the potential to be a money pit, but the fear mongering on some Porsche forums is unlike anything I've ever seen.

My face is still straight
Well, again, my example vehicle is 15 years old with more than twice the duty and a fraction of the repairs I've done in 3+ years of Boxster ownership. If I had to pay an Indy for every fix I'd be making a 911 S Turbo 4 payment.