Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2015, 07:18 AM   #1

2004 Porsche Boxster s

Hi there, new Boxster s owner and loving the car so far.

My only gripe is the water in the passenger side footwell, the carpets are damp from the last few days of rain we've had here in the UK! :ah:

I've read up and seen that it may be caused by the drain plugs being blocked, can anyone show me a diagram or picture of where these are underneath the car as my garage took a look today and say they couldn't find them??

I understand there are 4 of them?

The bottom of the door is bone dry and it's only down at the side of the footwell and behind the seat, the damp doesn't spread across towards the transmission tunnel.

Any help would be appreciated

north-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:33 AM   #2

Garage
Hi, and welcome to the forum. Here's one from another poster.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/37955-drain-holes.html

You do not want the water to get near the electronics under the seat. It can be disastrous!
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:59 AM   #3

North Star,
Suggest you research the issue of wet carpet diligently.Under the seat is a 'magic electronic box'. If it gets wet ,it will fail !That will be very expensive.
Solution is to open the drain holes and if you are concerned, drill one or two new drain holes near the box to ensure that it remains dry.
To do this you will have to remove the seat. In LHD countries, the box is under the drivers seat.So in your case (U.K.) it is(?) under the passenger seat.
There are products to waterproof/seal the box. I just raised mine on some 4mm spacers and drilled 2 drain holes .
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:05 AM   #4
I am my own mechanic....

Drivers side. See it under there?

Passenger side. Has leaves around it.

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:07 AM   #5
I am my own mechanic....

Push your finger down through it with water in there. It pushes the mud out. Then flush it. Not sure how easy to get them out to clean.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:15 AM   #6

Hi all,

Thanks very much for the replies, managed to clear the drain holes today, all 4 were blocked hence the water collecting behind the passenger seat.

Thankfully the water seems to have been kept to the small insert back from the box and not in where the box sits, i have dried the box and the surrounding area with a towel and left it there to soak up any damp, hopefully that will save the box?

I have dried off as best as i can o the carpet for the moment and will strip out the seat and lift the carpet to dry off that and the underlay below it.

I will also get my local garage to drill a couple of new holes for me to prevent it getting so bad again.

As for the black box how would i know if there was a problem with it, all electrics seem to be fine and there are no warning lights on the dash when driving?

One problem i do have is the car not locking remotely with the key, i have to manually lock it with the key and it beeps twice when locking or unlocking the car.

Is this a sign of a problem with the black box?

Other than all that i'm really happy with the car, when the roof is down and you are blasting around the Country roads here in Scotland it's a great car to be in
north-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:22 AM   #7
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I mounted my immobilizer in a shallow sealed "Tupperware" type container. My car is always garages and very rarely sees rain, but it's now 1 less thing to worry about.

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote