Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2015, 10:37 AM   #1

Wheel Bearing Noise - Not

For the past two weeks, I've been having noise coming from the right front passenger side when the car is moving. It was getting louder from day to day. It had a rhythmic repeating sound that went faster as the tire went faster. It would go away when I turned left but was there if I turned right or went straight. It would go away if I breaked lightly. Based on reading the postings on the board I thought it was the right front wheel bearing. This is a recording of the sound. http://youtu.be/hgqmLoLP1UY

It got so loud I was worried about the car getting damaged. But there was a big rain storm which flooded the street and I drove through the deep water and when I passed the water the sound was gone. I thought maybe the bearings got lubricated and once it dried the sound would come back.

I called the repair shop and made an appointment because I didn't want to drive it anymore. Well when I took it to the shop, the sound was still gone and now a week later it is still gone. Guess it was not the wheel bearing and probably not lubrication as the water would've dried. My father-in-law says it was some rust or crud that had built up that washed off....

I've read about a lot of people on the boards getting their bearings replaced.... Just wondering whether they needed to drive through deep water instead....

Last edited by Fyeganeh; 05-24-2015 at 10:40 AM.
Fyeganeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:49 AM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

Just do the bearings. You'll be surprised how much less "road noise" you get, and you can tell the difference in smoothness. Do both fronts, not just one side.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 12:22 PM   #3
Crib

Garage
It could also be as simple as some gravel or dirt being stuck in the calipers, that got washed away by the water.

I had that problem twice on a Volvo i owned, and the sound was really loud...
Crib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:37 PM   #4

Listen to Tim

I re did my bearings and the difference was amazing...the car is so quiet now.

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote