Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2014, 11:12 AM   #1

Garage
Formula 1 documentary - NBCSN tonight

Just an FYI - tonight on NBC Sports Net at 8PM they are showing the '1' documentary, a very good (IMO) documentary that was discussed here a while back.

Also tomorrow AM the Monaco GP is on NBC at 7:30 AM EDT. They are repeating this mornings qualifying sessions this afternoon as well.

The weather in the northeast has been spotty, so I'm looking forward to some F1 Cars and Coffee tomorrow AM.

Enjoy the Memorial day weekend, and my thanks to any servicemen/women that are on this board.

-Tom

tomonomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:09 PM   #2

I was hooked up on the qualifications this afternoon. One thing for sure, this new car is horribly fast. Much faster than any previous f1 prototypes. Maybe because Monaco makes it looks twice faster dunno but only judging from those newly added onboard cams I'm actually surprised they can drive these cars (jets?) out of the corners

wroom for real wroom freaks lol
Old 05-24-2014, 03:44 PM   #3

Garage
Also check out /drive the YouTube auto show managed a tv spot, idk if they have a season or if this is a test pilot but it airs at 10:30 on the same channel. I caught the first airing after qualifying this morning, it was really good, a bit awkward at times being their first time on tv, but worth a watch
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:18 PM   #4

Garage
Wow. Great documentary. Really an amazing job.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:34 AM   #5

The documentary was excellent and very moving...it's difficult to think of how many greats were needlessly lost and the brave men, such as Stewart, who demanded changes for the sake of safety. Still no answers on why Senna was taken with the measures that were put in place by then.

Glad I recorded it because I will watch it again, soon.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:12 AM   #6

anyone have a linky?
dbansal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:07 AM   #7

It was aired on NBC Sports Network...check your listings for a re-broadcast.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:29 AM   #8

Garage
According to the website, it's on NBC sports again on Sun 6/8 9:30PM-12:00AM

Here's the trailer:

First trailer for new F1 documentary 1 - F1 Fanatic
Old 05-26-2014, 09:18 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
I was hooked up on the qualifications this afternoon. One thing for sure, this new car is horribly fast. Much faster than any previous f1 prototypes. Maybe because Monaco makes it looks twice faster dunno but only judging from those newly added onboard cams I'm actually surprised they can drive these cars (jets?) out of the corners

wroom for real wroom freaks lol

Yup, the displacement went down, but this new hybrid turbo works wonders on the torque. I especially enjoyed the fight for second place between Hamilton and Ricciardo at the end of the race. Hamilton is a great driver but he only could keep Ricciardo off his back because his Mercedes was much faster.
I usually don't watch F1 that much but I make an exception for Monaco! Still waiting for F1 to come to New York.
nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta View Post
The documentary was excellent and very moving...it's difficult to think of how many greats were needlessly lost and the brave men, such as Stewart, who demanded changes for the sake of safety. Still no answers on why Senna was taken with the measures that were put in place by then.

Glad I recorded it because I will watch it again, soon.
Senna was speared through his face shield by a piece of his suspension. Not so sure that could be "corrected."
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:18 PM   #11

I "guess" that's the result of the inquiry...still not certain to this day.

Last edited by jmatta; 05-27-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:42 PM   #12

Like any good Senna fan I blame Prost

2002 Boxster S
2006 Cayman S
N0tt0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:37 PM   #13

I rented this on Google Play for $4 when it first came out on video. Right about the time Rush was in theaters..not sure if that was a coincidence. This is definitely a movie for the surround sound home theater set up.

If you enjoyed this and have never watched the Quick and the Dead you should check it out. Stacey Keach narrates the documentary with the late François Cevert playing a prominent role right up to his death in Jackie Stewart's last grand prix. Cevert's story is more tragic than Senna's in my opinion because Senna enjoyed a legendary career while Cevert was on the cusp of greatness after being handed the reigns of the team by Stewart at a very young age.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:39 PM   #14

I rented this on Google Play for $4 when it first came out on video. Right about the time Rush was in theaters..not sure if that was a coincidence. This is definitely a movie for the surround sound home theater set up.

If you enjoyed this and have never watched the Quick and the Dead you should check it out. Stacey Keach narrates the documentary with the late François Cevert playing a prominent role right up to his death in Jackie Stewart's last grand prix. Cevert's story is more tragic than Senna's in my opinion because Senna enjoyed a legendary career while Cevert was on the cusp of greatness after being handed the reigns of the team by Stewart at a very young age.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:54 PM   #15

Garage
FYI - the '1' documentary is airing again tonight on NBC Sports.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:24 PM   #16

Another good one: "weekend of a Champion" on Google Play.
The infamous Roman Polanski follows Jackie Stewart at the 1971 Mónaco GP.
A sort of reality show for the 1970's.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:15 PM   #17
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Another good one: "weekend of a Champion" on Google Play. The infamous Roman Polanski follows Jackie Stewart at the 1971 Mónaco GP.
This "reality show" is also available in its entirety, for free viewing, on YouTube. More of a Stewart ego trip than anything else, when Jackie was THE driver from 1970 to his retirement in 1973.

If you don't believe me, just ask him.

Just sayin'...........

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamOxford View Post
This "reality show" is also available in its entirety, for free viewing, on YouTube. More of a Stewart ego trip than anything else, when Jackie was THE driver from 1970 to his retirement in 1973.

Just sayin'...........

TO
Couldn't agree more. Stewart without a doubt was the man back then but infallible arrogance imo overshadowed some of the more becoming traits.

BTW TO...."Just Sayin"...sounds like one of my kids typical responses lol
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamOxford View Post

Just sayin'...........

TO
F1 drivers of his era had a near 70% of being dead within 5 years.

That's not the sort of terrain that a person with low self-esteem is going to cut it in.

If you found a racing driver with that level of super human talent, in an era when GP cars weren't doing any of the driving for you whatsoever, against the best and bravest drivers in the world, on tracks that had laughable safety standards, when Bandini and Williamson were both roasted alive during a race, a driver that could stand going to 10 funerals per season during that five year era.... and this person was also a nice guy with a regular sized ego, then I would say your lofty expectations were met.

If I met a guy who pulled all that off, and managed to outlive it all, he could be as big as an arrogant prima donna as he wished. Because the bottom line is this guy could have decided to sell bar-b-q sets at the local hardware store instead.
How many of us would continue with our respective lines of work if we were told we had a 70% of being killed on the job by 2019? Not many...

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-09-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
F1 drivers of his era had a near 70% of being dead within 5 years.

That's not the sort of terrain that a person with low self-esteem is going to cut it in.

If you found a racing driver with that level of super human talent, in an era when GP cars weren't doing any of the driving for you whatsoever, against the best and bravest drivers in the world, on tracks that had laughable safety standards, when Bandini and Williamson were both roasted alive during a race, a driver that could stand going to 10 funerals per season during that five year era.... and this person was also a nice guy with a regular sized ego, then I would say your lofty expectations were met.

If I met a guy who pulled all that off, and managed to outlive it all, he could be as big as an arrogant prima donna as he wished. Because the bottom line is this guy could have decided to sell bar-b-q sets at the local hardware store instead.
How many of us would continue with our respective lines of work if we were told we had a 70% of being killed on the job by 2019? Not many...

Yes, they no doubt had a right to whatever mindset they wanted but don't kid yourself, no one put a gun to their heads telling them to race or else. There were hundreds of other hungry drivers looking to take their positions if offered. Thank God there were drivers like Stewart, Fittipaldi and Lauda to bring sanity to the track.

The driver line-ups ran the spectrum personality wise but Stewart's overt arrogance definitely rose head and shoulders above most drivers' inner confidence levels. Another question; why would he go to Roman Polanski (what a prince of a gentleman ) to make his film?

coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote