986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Does anyone use Liqui Moly motor oil? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57277)

tommy583 05-22-2015 02:12 PM

Does anyone use Liqui Moly motor oil?

I was looking for the different motor oils that were Porsche A40 approved. Liqui Moly 5-40 came up. I don't remember anyone talking about it in any of the 5000 oil threads. So I was just wondering if anyone is using it and how has it worked out for you? Thanks.

tommy583 05-22-2015 06:55 PM

I guess not.

Timco 05-22-2015 09:42 PM

What oil do you use / should I use is a taboo topic. Been discussed too many times, many hurt feelings and purse swinging. Sometimes their husbands even chime in. If you don't just search oil or any related topic, you're really just wasting our time we could be spending discussing seat belt stitching color.

I personally use straight Slick 50. I believe the hype. That, and Split-Fire plugs.;)

As for oil? I like the topic. The car says 0-40 Mobile 1. It coats the moving parts. Some on here know in great detail how different oils have additives and the ability to bond to or protect moving parts better than OEM based on the real ability to perform better under extreme conditions.

As with anything on these cars, there's aftermarket crap for all of it. Some really does offer noticeable or proven advantages.

Flavor 987S 05-23-2015 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy583 (Post 450799)
I was looking for the different motor oils that were Porsche A40 approved. Liqui Moly 5-40 came up. I don't remember anyone talking about it in any of the 5000 oil threads. So I was just wondering if anyone is using it and how has it worked out for you? Thanks.

There are over 100 Porsche approved A40 oils. Even one called Elf. I always liked that name.

Some of the best Porsche approved oils are:

Mobil 5W50
Motul 5W40 Excess

Some of the best non Porsche approved oils are:

Red Line 5W40
Joe Gibbs DT40

I've used all of these except Motul. Currently hooked on Mobil 5W50. Based on over 100,000 Porsche miles in 2 different water cooled cars (987S Boxster and now 991S Carrera PowerKit).

lkchris 05-23-2015 06:50 AM

Liqui Moly had trackside banners at COTA in Austin for MotoGP and they have monthly ads in Panorama and Roundel and Star, so they certainly would like our business. Since I do as much "made in Germany" as I possibly can, maybe I'll get some next time.

Jake Raby 05-23-2015 10:02 AM

Remember, all it takes to get an approval is cash up front...

lkchris 05-23-2015 10:11 AM

Yeah, Porsche is really a disreputable company that way. Why do we even own them?

Of course the oil company has to pay the independent tester ... but the oil has to pass.

CHRISP357 05-23-2015 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Raby (Post 450906)
Remember, all it takes to get an approval is cash up front...

Really? They don't have to meet any factory specs huh? Just flash some cash and Porsche will put them on the list?
Jesus.

tommy583 05-23-2015 08:08 PM

Well the forum was a little slow for the last week, so I thought I'd stir something up lol. No but really I've used Mobil 1, Castrol, and Motul. I was just wondering if anyone was using it. I know some peps say to use an oil high in zinc, but none of them really say how much is in there oils. Just wondering if anyone used it or not. Disclaimer I don't own a cat, nor do I hate them :p

Jake Raby 05-24-2015 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHRISP357 (Post 450911)
Really? They don't have to meet any factory specs huh? Just flash some cash and Porsche will put them on the list?
Jesus.

Only the API requires testing of oils for certifications. Guess what, they use two base engines for all the certs, and neither is anything close to a Porsche.

Money can buy anything, even a decal under the deckled of a vehicle with a certain brand name on it.

BRAN 05-25-2015 01:49 AM

Money can buy almost anything...but at which costs? :matchup:
Reputation is the highest good/asset a company can possibly have (of course next to its employees).
So companies set up market barriers of all kind to "protect" their high good "Reputation".
The more equal the brand reputations are, the lesser the "costs" to paticipate from the bigger brand.

uhm...i am rambling...

My dealership used Shell last time, I will have a serious talk with them...put my foot in the ground and ask for Liqui Moly :D
But honestly I have no clue about oils, so if the specs "seem" the same, the only thing i can rely on is "brand reputation"...and Liqui Moly at least wins a lot of prices for their oils, so that will turn into "Reputation" later.

uhm...i am rambling again...
I will speak with my dealership.:D

lkchris 05-25-2015 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Raby (Post 451117)
Only the API requires testing of oils for certifications. Guess what, they use two base engines for all the certs, and neither is anything close to a Porsche.

Money can buy anything, even a decal under the deckled of a vehicle with a certain brand name on it.

I doubt Euro manufacturers care one whit about AMERCIAN petro institute.

Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, VW-Audi ALL specify testing by independent labs to verify compliance with THEIR specifications, which go beyond generic EUROPEAN specifications.

Euro specs are ACEA, not API, and here's what Wikipedia says about ACEA

Quote:

ACEA

The ACEA (Association des Constructeurs Européens d'Automobiles) performance/quality classifications A3/A5 tests used in Europe are arguably more stringent than the API and ILSAC standards. CEC (The Co-ordinating European Council) is the development body for fuel and lubricant testing in Europe and beyond, setting the standards via their European Industry groups; ACEA, ATIEL, ATC and CONCAWE.

Go ahead and put non DPF-safe motor oil in your diesel and see what you get. For a Mercedes that will have to be 229.51. 229.5 doesn't get it. The rule is don't even top up with noncompliant oil.

njbray 05-25-2015 10:33 AM

I have it in my 2001 at the moment - seems to run nice and smooth.
I emailed Liqui Moly and they recommended 'Liqui Moly 2332 Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40 Engine Oil' as the best for my car, so I ordered a couple of 5 litre jugs through Amazon.