986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Porsche CEO say Boxster/Cayman will get 4 cylinder next year (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57241)

Porsche9 05-18-2015 08:56 PM

Porsche CEO say Boxster/Cayman will get 4 cylinder next year

I'm not too excited but we will have to wait and see.

Porsche CEO Says Boxster/Cayman Will Get Four-Cylinder Power Next Year

antny 05-18-2015 11:34 PM

Turbo 4 will be interesting. It just will not be cheap to do a turbo upgrade I would guess.

Pominoz 05-18-2015 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porsche9 (Post 450312)

I'll never buy a 4 pot Porsche. It will be interesting to see what the demand is like.

Steve Tinker 05-19-2015 12:31 AM

If the Porsche 4 cylinder turbo engine is anything like the Mercedes Benz AMG engine fitted to the A45 it will be a cracker.
No way will Porsche make a 4 pot turbo engine that will produce less power than the MB AMG - it will more than likely blow our 6 cylinder cars into the weeds........

PS - I can't believe how cheap Porsche's are in the ad next to the article in question - less than half what we pay in Australia - the very cheapest Boxster is over $US120,000 before any extras. Makes me weep.

Giller 05-19-2015 03:27 AM

Times and technology change. The turbo 4 is going to produce what, around 300 hp? I'll keep an open mind and see, as opposed to sticking my head in the sand.

Timco 05-19-2015 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Tinker (Post 450318)
If the Porsche 4 cylinder turbo engine is anything like the Mercedes Benz AMG engine fitted to the A45 it will be a cracker.
No way will Porsche make a 4 pot turbo engine that will produce less power than the MB AMG - it will more than likely blow our 6 cylinder cars into the weeds........

PS - I can't believe how cheap Porsche's are in the ad next to the article in question - less than half what we pay in Australia - the very cheapest Boxster is over $US120,000 before any extras. Makes me weep.

How many HP did Magnum PI's 308GTI have? 300 even?

I hear you have some issues with Johnny Depp's Yorkies, too. Strange land, down unda.

Pominoz 05-19-2015 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Tinker (Post 450318)

I don't really care too much about absolute power. To be honest, with the pathetic low speed limits, and the fanatical revenue raising via speed fines in Victoria, backed up by zillions of speed cams, and camouflaged speed cops hiding in the bushes, anything more than my 2.7 is totally unusable.

It's the handling, and the sound of that flat six, that the big pleasure. To me, it's just not a Porsche without that flat 6.

Don't mention the price of cars in Australia :(

Perfectlap 05-19-2015 06:34 AM

For 99% of buyers it will be fine. They won't even know the difference between NA and a Jetta/Golf sounding car, turbos have come a long way in the last decade. And on paper, the performance will be better than outgoing flat 6.
It will be a lot cheaper for VW to now lean on turbo power than to spend all the time and money to get more and more power out of a NA engine. The mid-engines have never been big volume movers, so VW wants to at least see higher margins on these cars.
I don't buy CAFE being the thrust of the move to turbos because those standards are fleet based and the four door Porsches do the heavy lifting in meeting CAFE. Also, the penalties for failing to meet CAFE are a literal drop in the bucket for a highly profitable company like Porsche on track to sell 200+k cars nearly all at enviable margins. Those penalties are more like loose change under the seats. These turbos are about creating cars with highly predictable profit margins that aren't catching fire forcing total recalls. With the turbo four they get profit, power and fairly quiet warranty periods.

antny 05-19-2015 07:23 AM

If you think that is bad the new Camara is coming out with a 2.0 turbo 4. You want to talk about a dog. That car will not be fun to drive. Now a lot of manufacturers are putting turbo 4's to get to the gas mileage standard that the govt is oushing. I think the change is more of a have too thing not a want

Deserion 05-19-2015 08:01 AM

I have no issues with a 4-cylinder Porsche. It's not like they have experience with the 356, 550, 912, 914, 924, 944, or 968.

Perfectlap 05-19-2015 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deserion (Post 450362)
I have no issues with a 4-cylinder Porsche. It's not like they have experience with the 356, 550, 912, 914, 924, 944, or 968.

True but those early cars were much smaller and lighter so the four was enough.
and the later Porsches with turbos really weren't sought after for their engines, some of those I could outrun on my bicycle riding down hill... and my bike has no lag.

p.s.
BigJake posted a link previously on how Walter Rohrl publicly opined that the new turbo fours in the Boxster/Cayman sound ridiculous.
Apparently in response the engineers have contracted Michael Bay to whip up some Hollywood special effects audio every time you depress the clutch.

Heiko 05-19-2015 09:31 AM

Wait until they intro the new 'Boxster GTS D' D for Diesel :D :D :D :D

thstone 05-19-2015 10:33 AM

:barf: :barf:
:barf: :barf:

One for each horizontally opposed cylinder.

Been there and done that and it sucked.

New turbos don't have the huge lag but they definitely aren't linear - in a corner you never know how much power you're going to get when you step on the throttle.

woodsman 05-19-2015 11:21 AM

Would a 4 cyl T not weigh less per HP than a NA 6? And than there's the packaging advantage although a turbo in a mid-engine car is going to have additional heat issues. Torque is king...

j.fro 05-19-2015 03:39 PM

Wish I had a mid engine 4 cylinder Porsche... With 4 cams, no side windows, and a useless top.

crooster 05-19-2015 05:42 PM

I have a 4 cylinder turbo Porsche. I like it. Boost is addictive!

Jake Raby 05-19-2015 06:20 PM

Just wait till you see what I do with this. One will be on order just as soon as possible, and it'll come apart the first week!

I cut my teeth on 4 cylinder Porsche engines and I am glad to see that things are going full circle.

nieuwhzn 05-19-2015 09:27 PM

Ahum, huh, everyone understands that a flat four will sound like a beetle or Subaru, right!
Look, I love my Viggen. Lots of torque, a real beast. But, it just isn't the same as the linear response of the Boxster. It's going to be a very boring world if all cars are 4 pot turbos.

healthservices 05-20-2015 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heiko (Post 450371)
Wait until they intro the new 'Boxster GTS D' D for Diesel :D :D :D :D

I would give my left nut for a performance diesel, Of course it would most likely not be available in the states because of emission reasons :mad:

BFeller 05-20-2015 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porsche9 (Post 450312)

Does it come with a IMS?