986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cayman S (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5723)

BuffaloBoxster 04-14-2006 05:02 AM

Cayman S

Saw my first Cayman S yesterday at the dealer while I was having my Boxster serviced. All I can say is.. wow. Everything about the car that looked like it was awkward or ungainly in pictures actually flowed beautifully in real life. And not only that, but it has a kind of presence to it that the Boxster doesn't have. It just seems more exotic and exciting and just sitting in the lot commands attention more than the Boxster seems to.

I have to say it's been a long time since I fell that hard for a car :)

Brucelee 04-14-2006 05:30 AM

The car is selling well and the local dealer at least is pleased. However, the dealer does not believe this years sales will say much about the car's long term popularity, as first year Porsche sales are usually very strong.

It is next year they are worried about. Did they pirate sales from their own line or get new customers?

Look to 2007 for the answer to that one.

BuffaloBoxster 04-14-2006 05:41 AM

I'm just hoping that after three or four years I'll be able to snag one for about what I paid for my '01... If it's not popular, that's all the better for me.

Havin said that, it's got to be a hard sell to someone who isn't sure which model they want. I wouldn't want to try to sell a coupe version of a roadster that retails for $10k more.

Perfectlap 04-14-2006 06:36 AM

Compliments of my local Porsche dealer, my PCA will be providing a donor car for a CaymanS autocross. Each driver will be given one lap. Trophies bla bla.
Nice guys those Porsche dudes.

The resale value for the 2nd owner is going to be excellent. Everyone want to get their grubby hands on mid engine 911.

mach schnell 04-14-2006 07:34 AM

i question how well sales are doing, actually. my good friend is slowly and methodically working towards the purchase of a Cayman S (he's the guy who has to test drive the car about a zillion times to make up his mind). At any rate, he (and I) have been following the inventory at a variety of southern California dealers over the last 8 or so weeks and clearly, the same vehicles are being seen. In fact, we've actually found that if a Cayman no longer appears in the inventory at one retailer, it sometimes shows up in the inventory at another dealer. The interesting thing is that even with these cars collecting dust on soCal lots, the dealerships (from my friend's experience) are not budging much when it comes to making a deal. The other interesting thing is that I haven't really seen that many Cayman's on the road. Now, somewhere in the midwest you might think, oh it's a new model, etc etc etc. Well, this is southern California, every other car here is either MB, Lexus, Audi BMW or Porsche (oh yeah, of course, and the modified 87 honda accord!) - so, it stands out in my opinion.

However, if I were actually driving a Cayman, I'd probably think differently - ya know how when you buy a car and all of sudden it seems like 9 of every 10 cars you pass is identical to yours?!

BuffaloBoxster 04-14-2006 07:47 AM

They had only one at my dealer.. Silver/grey, no sticker. I didn't talk to the salespeople so I don't know how many they've sold. I will ask wehn I go back.

Brucelee 04-14-2006 08:27 AM

As a buyer, I would not buy a coupe here in SOCAL. The Boxster ragtop is just too inviting.

As a dealer, I find 911 coupes hard to move here.

I am sure each geography is different in this regard.

eslai 04-14-2006 09:19 AM

I've seen a few Caymans around and yes, it looks a bit more exotic than a boxster right now, but then the boxster came out how many years ago?

RandallNeighbour 04-14-2006 11:47 AM

I have only seen two on Houston roads thus far, and one at the stealership.

I do like that car though. I had better not drive one any time soon or I will want it bad and can't have it. Champaign taste and beer pocketbook!

03box 04-15-2006 08:00 AM

Cayman S

I test drove one last week and fell in love with this car. It is much quicker than my 03 Base and sounds meaner. I wish I had not driven one because now I want one. I will wait for a year or so when used ones hit the market before I take the plunge. I will never buy another new Porsche because of the beating you take on depreciation. My 03 had a sticker price of $51,000 and Kelly Blue Book says it's worth $28,000 on a trade. It only has 10,000 miles.