986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   crankcase filter box leak??? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57212)

jessezipper 05-16-2015 06:14 PM

crankcase filter box leak???

hey all!!! ill be heading to milan,tn (10 hour drive) to look at and possibly trade for a boxster... owner states its a crankcase filter box leaking oil..

ive searched and really cant find anything on this... any help from you porsche guys??? im familiar with bmws. to me it sounds like an oil filter housing gasket?

the porsche in question is a 2001 boxster s with 130k miles, auto ... he states he will not start it due to the leak ...

Timco 05-16-2015 06:17 PM

Wait. What??

Say that one more time?

Crank case filter box leaking oil??:confused:

And this makes it not start why??

Three letters. P, P, I.

jessezipper 05-16-2015 06:24 PM

forgot to add... his mechanic told him this ..

thats what the guy is telling me... he wont start it, says we can push it onto a trailor and if i want to add oil and start it,to load onto a trailor .. thats on me

Timco 05-16-2015 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessezipper (Post 450023)
forgot to add... his mechanic told him this ..

thats what the guy is telling me... he wont start it, says we can push it onto a trailor and if i want to add oil and start it,to load onto a trailor .. thats on me

A roller ain't worth much. I would not gamble on this unless it's almost free. You want service records and a PPI.

There's no such part, and it shows neither have any idea what they were looking at.

KRAM36 05-16-2015 06:47 PM

You're looking at $6k or more to put a used engine in it.

jessezipper 05-16-2015 06:59 PM

That explains why my search didn't go so well, lol... He's gonna hopefully send me a pic of said leak tomorrow... Was gonna trade my 2000 323i that's in damn good shape for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pdwight 05-16-2015 07:04 PM

Walk away

If you want a Boxster find one with service records and you can drive to a dealer for a PPI

jessezipper 05-16-2015 07:07 PM

Yea that was the original plan, the bmw is my spare hobby car , not my dd. he's asking $5k for the Porsche or trade. Only time I can get off to go down there is this coming Saturday

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Timco 05-16-2015 07:12 PM

$5k is low for an S. Be suspicious.

Pdwight 05-16-2015 07:14 PM

is there a link to the sale, perhaps some of our folks could tell you more if we could see more info and pictures

jessezipper 05-16-2015 07:18 PM

When asked about the ims he stated it wasn't that, the body is super clean tho. Is it worth it if the engine is rebuildable at worst? I'm mechanically inclined and have rebuild bmw engines , and my dad and buddy are very familiar with vw engines .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jessezipper 05-16-2015 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pdwight (Post 450035)
is there a link to the sale, perhaps some of our folks could tell you more if we could see more info and pictures

2000 Porsche Boxter S

anyone near milan tn and wanna go look?

jsceash 05-17-2015 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessezipper (Post 450020)
hey all!!! ill be heading to milan,tn (10 hour drive) to look at and possibly trade for a boxster... owner states its a crankcase filter box leaking oil..

ive searched and really cant find anything on this... any help from you porsche guys??? im familiar with bmws. to me it sounds like an oil filter housing gasket?

the porsche in question is a 2001 boxster s with 130k miles, auto ... he states he will not start it due to the leak ...

I'm wondering if the unfamiliar mechanic is talking about a bad AOS. It fits the description for someone unfamiliar with these motors. Second the motor may not run if its ingesting oil and the plugs are fouled. Wouldn't be the first car diagnosed dead with a bad AOS.

jessezipper 05-17-2015 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsceash (Post 450076)
I'm wondering if the unfamiliar mechanic is talking about a bad AOS. It fits the description for someone unfamiliar with these motors. Second the motor may not run if its ingesting oil and the plugs are fouled. Wouldn't be the first car diagnosed dead with a bad AOS.

yes today he confirmed the aos is bad and leaking

jessezipper 05-18-2015 11:05 AM

So he sends me a pic and says this is the only sign on leaking oil http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05...d2aae47409.jpg

Timco 05-18-2015 11:39 AM

That engine has sucked a lot of oil up into the intake manifolds. Remove and clean them out. Clean throttle body. Check for leaks at plug tubes. Look under it. Get new AOS ASAP.

Look at the engine pic in then "what have you done to your Boxster today?" thread, last page.

BFeller 05-18-2015 12:33 PM

Can't the AOS blow enough oil through the intake to hydrolock a cylinder?

Jamesp 05-18-2015 02:35 PM

I'd be very careful here - you stand to get burned big time. Rebuilding the engine is hyper expensive. A set of rings is $1200. The engines are built as throw aways which is why folks quote replacing them instead of rebuilding them. Knowing what I know now I'd offer a maximum of $4k (roller value) with the intention of putting in another $6k and lots of work to get it back on the road. Not wanting to start it convinces me the engine is toast. Really fun to drive, and to work on as well, but it's an expensive hobby, and many folks end up upside down with these cars. A great hobby if you don't mind burning through cash!

jessezipper 05-30-2015 02:27 PM

Either way the guy backed out last minute before I was gonna drive 10 hrs to meet him

flaps10 05-30-2015 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessezipper (Post 451876)
Either way the guy backed out last minute before I was gonna drive 10 hrs to meet him

That sucks. This sure sounds like "your" car.

My First Porsche - 03 986 "blown engine" - Rennlist Discussion Forums