Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2015, 05:06 AM   #1

Input wanted. Keep Boxster or move to Audi S6 with V10

Okay guys I need some help here. Just the other day around the corner from me popped up a 2007 s6 with the V 10 Lamborghini Gallardo engine. The price seems great and the car is immaculate. This baby has 435 horsepower and the Quattro tranny with paddle shifters. I think I'm going to take it for a test ride today. From what I have read its a badass car and super fast. It has low miles and looks very nice but it's a real sleeper. It doesn't have any bling factor to it at all being a silver 4 door sedan. My wife and I both enjoy our Boxster S very much it's triple black and looks really sharp. She likes the fact that the Boxster is a convertible but we also have a convertible jeep as a toy as well. We have two boys age 4 and 6 that love the Boxster and want me to keep it but they can obviously never ride together. Now I'm just thinking that the Audi would be even more fun to drive just curious of your thoughts? I would probably have to sell it in order to get the S6. This will probably probably be the closest I will ever come to a Lamborghini LOL.

Springman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:33 AM   #2

I would only get it if you can keep the Boxster. The S6 is a very special car but a completely different car than the Boxster. IMHO, the 8 year old S6 looks dated and the thrill of the 435 HP will quickly pass.

If you can get it for a good price and keep the 986.... go for it.

Great Car & Driver write up from 2007;

2007 Audi S6 - First Drive Review - Car Reviews - Car and Driver

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:40 AM   #3

If you only have room for two, I would sell the jeep.

I like to say you are a roadster guy or you are not. The first car in my garage will always be a roadster. The wife unit and kids require a second car.

I've seen that V10 up close in an R8 Spyder. My indy was installing a supercharger and other mods. I think it was ~700 HP post wallet lightening.

I'd be a bit hesitant to go out of warranty on any Audi much less an expensive one that you plan to use for regular life in NY. Winters are brutal on these delicate German cars, mostly because if you've been to Germany you know they actually invest in their roads. That's a long tradition there, they go triple deep. Meanwhile over here our roads are great at keeping parts manufacturers and mechanics employed. For a family hauler, I'd go CPO Panamera or CPO Cayenne Turbo.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:51 AM   #4

Thanks guys, I see what you both are saying. Here is the other thing that I did not add my wife loves her jeep but it rarely gets used the same way I love the Boxster but it doesn't get much use either. She drives a new Volvo wagon which is her company car and free and I drive an F150 Supercrew so we have have plenty of kid haulers. We really have no need for a sedan so I guess there is the answer. We would both love a Panamara but haven't found one in our price range yet.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:58 AM   #5

If you want a rock solid, fast sedan, buy a 2008 or 2009 Lexus ISF. It will be just as fast and potentially much more reliable.

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:26 AM   #6

With that V-10 maintainace will likily be Lamborghini like. Have you looked into the costs? As these cars get older they can make upkeep costs of a Boxster look cheap. That was the case for me with my E55 AMG. BTW the power is addictive but can rarely be used unless you are looking for some jail time. I took the E55 to the drag strip a few time and that was enough. The thrill wears off quickly and then you either get over it or want more. Look at all the 1,000 hp street cars people build.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:57 AM   #7

^ so true. and there's something almost not right about getting a Lamborghini and it not being a V12. It's like buying a Boxster with a VW four banger turbo.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:09 AM   #8

Garage
Life is short, buy the V10. The chance to get that kind of motor in the future is diminishing by the day. Ferrari is going to turbos, Mercedes does not make many, bmw is done ...there are only so many V10s that mere mortals can afford. Buy it. Boxsters are a dime a dozen and they are only getting better so if you sell the Audi later you can buy a 987 or 981 and that won't be bad either.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:20 AM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

I'd say keep the Boxster. You and the family love it and it is fun in almost every way possible.

The power of the V-10 will quickly get old and at the end of the day, you're still be driving a boring looking 4-door sedan.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:21 AM   #10

I have to agree with landrovered. This isn't even a question.

I'm assuming there's a forum for audi guys with this exact car, and that you've lurked enough to know what the potential deal breakers are for this specific vehicle? Compare that with the vehicle in question and then decide.
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I'd say keep the Boxster. You and the family love it and it is fun in almost every way possible.

The power of the V-10 will quickly get old and at the end of the day, you're still be driving a boring looking 4-door sedan.
I thought I was the only one that didn't get the Audi thing. A6, A7, A8, S6, etc. they all look the same to me. I'll take an 8 year old cuvy Jaguar or Aston Martin any day.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:49 AM   #12

Sounds like everyone in your family wants to keep the convertible in the family. I have loved convertibles forever and this is my third. I have regretted selling each one. I plan on keeping this one forever. I have had really fast cars in the past and speed literally will just get old in the future. If you needed a quick family hauler I would say go for it. Sounds like you have all bases covered for vehicles now. Convertible fun car, truck to haul, family car to run and get groceries and the jeep for fun and inclement weather. I just not a Audi fan. Driven many S4's and a RS4 and they are just boring to me. Still need to drive a R8 though lol
antny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:36 AM   #13

The Audi sounds like it would be a blast to drive. I have a Viper V-10 in my Dodge Ram and in the 4 years I've owned it, I have never tired of the 500hp or the 6 spd manual tranny. Lambo developed the Viper engine and for me, it has been very reliable. I'd pick up the Audi if it's a really good deal. I would also check the Audi forums for any known problems and cures. If it all seems manageable, then I'd go for it. Life is way too short.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:38 PM   #14

Honestly, that's an ugly sedan.

435hp isn't that big of a deal.

The only thing exotic about it will be maintenance.
OKCShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:53 PM   #15

I just moved from a 450 wheel torque monster STI to a base Boxster and I could not be happier! The STI was insanely fast, and had miles of grip. But the Boxster is so much more enjoyable to drive every day. And yeah, that's an ugly Audi.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:44 PM   #16

Thank you guys for all the input. I decided against the Audi, it's just too boring looking. The boxster turns heads all the time the Audi just looks like another 4 door sedan. Now thinking about it what I really want to do is get rid of the jeep and the Boxster and get a 911 convertible
Old 05-14-2015, 06:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springman26 View Post
Now thinking about it what I really want to do is get rid of the jeep and the Boxster and get a 911 convertible
I am fighting the urge to get a 997.2 GTS cab. Please get one so I can live vicariously through you!

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Thank you guys for all the input. I decided against the Audi, it's just too boring looking. The boxster turns heads all the time the Audi just looks like another 4 door sedan. Now thinking about it what I really want to do is get rid of the jeep and the Boxster and get a 911 convertible
Now you are talking.
antny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Well, I had the similar plan a couple years ago and did not work as planned. Promised my wife to sell the boxster for 911 convertible. Ended up with a boxster and 911 in the garage while keeping 2 daily drivers.
Boxster and 911 are completely different car, with boxster a more athletic. 911 has more power and refinement.