Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2015, 05:34 AM   #1

stereo replaced

Moved to a new house with one less garage bay so with 2 kids both with cars, we needed to thin the herd (and the wife said we could get rid of a car but not a kid) so we sold my son's old Volvo sedan he'd been driving through high school, traded my wife's Benz on a new Civic Si for my son, I tuned the 2001 Boxster S into a daily driver (once the snow melted) and the wife is driving my X5.

The Boxster only has 28K miles and is in perfect shape however I really missed the integrated USB and Bluetooth of the newer cars and I have never been happy with the rear speaker kit I added in the rear compartment as you couldn't really hear them.

Let me say now, that I am not an audio nut and would not appreciate a high-end install like many of you. I wanted a reasonably priced unit that looked good once installed. And just as important to me was Bluetooth and the ability to seamlessly stream my iPhone nav app through the radio.

I bought a Kenwood single DIN from Crutchfield and installed it last week. Looks great and sounds better than stock... and the best part is the stock front speakers are connected through the RCA connectors (and through the factory amp) and the rear aftermarket kit (the eBay version that looks like the OEM kit) plays through the internal Kenwood amp so you can now hear them.

Nice simple, cost effective upgrade and I can go back to stock if I sell the car.

I'm very happy with it and happy with Crutchfield's customer service as I had a few install questions they talked me through.

Vince

m332is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:43 AM   #2

That's funny! I installed a Kenwood Bluetooth unit this weekend too. Used the factory amp and speakers. Sounds great, and I was able to get a fairly close match of the ac unit lighting to one of the colours of the Kenwood.
I also moved the AC unit down to the bottom slot, and put the Kenwood just above it. Next is the Nexus 7 tablet, that will go in the now empty double din space I have. I have the tablet hacked so it will charge, but allow me to use a USB hub at the same time. So I can connect all kinds of neat things to it. I'm just testing it for a few days before I do the install.
pony13ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:43 AM   #3

What kenwood deck did you go with? Can you share any detail on the ebay rear speaker deck?
cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:25 PM   #4

Garage
I am planning on building a bigger garage.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:47 PM   #5
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
What kenwood deck did you go with? Can you share any detail on the ebay rear speaker deck?
I have a rear speaker box in black that I might want to get rid of. Let me know if you want some pics of it.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by m332is View Post
I have never been happy with the rear speaker kit I added in the rear compartment as you couldn't really hear them.
Interesting. Is that the PNP or Porsche rear speaker kit? If so, I can hear mine just fine. Did you set up the Fade in the head unit?