986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Clear chip guard question. (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57165)

Snowman 05-13-2015 03:55 AM

Clear chip guard question.

..or whatever these are called;
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/...1050/guard.jpg

I'm not crazy about how they've yellowed. Does anyone have any experiences or thoughts on either replacing them or removing them?

I called the dealer and they gave me the name of the two clear bra installers they use when people want new ones. They said they've seen mixed results with getting the new ones to look as nice as factory.

I'm fine leaving them off also.

Burg Boxster 05-13-2015 05:37 AM

With a white vehicle, you could run naked as chips won't show as readily compared to dark color cars. But, they are very beneficial for preventing area from getting messed by front wheel sling - particularly if you AX, DE, or drive where there are lots of loose stones. So, replacing is best bet and inexpensive as I recall.

A number of 997 owners have gone retro and refreshed w/ matte black guards (ebay example here) and in some instances it looks really good. On my 997 I had installer replace w/ Xpel clear and oversize new ones a bit based on wear marks outside originals.

You can DIY as area does not have a complex surface or have a decent local clear bra installer do for you in ~ 30-45min. If DIY, use a heat gun (prefered) or hair dryer on low setting to heat film to aid in removal - but pull back very slow and evenly. Hit up youtibe for some quick instructions. Then clean remaining residue w/ an IPA solution and to prep area. Install new according to mfg. I'm sure there are some Boxster/Cayman kits on eBay if you want to DIY.

Good luck :)

PS - Advances in film material relative to ones currently installed on your car is amazing. New stuff (especially Xpel) has virtually zero orange peel and guarantee against yellowing for upto 10 years. One tip is to NOT use any yellow carnuba wax on the film. Instead use a synthetic polymer blend as I'm told (and has worked for me thus far).

PPS - I've had some success cleaning yellowed film up too. Use Blue Coral metal polish (yes metal). Basically it strips oxidized top layer away which you then use a fine polish on to get back to gloss. Seal w/ a synthetic wax/protectant.

2K-986-S 05-13-2015 06:31 AM

I had the 3M Invisible Shield installed on two of my vehicles 5 years ago and although they have done their job protecting the surfaces , they have turned yellow and it looks like orange peel.

For my 2000 S I went with 3M latest product called Scotch Guard Pro. I purchased the kit from https://www.invisiblemask.com (Hood, lights, fenders and number) it comes with a free installation kit and it turned out great.

I just ordered some bulk material so I can do the same area in your picture. I recommend purchasing the insurance, as I had to do the front bumper twice. Even with the additional cost of the 2nd bumper the job still cost less than having a pro do the install.

Snowman 05-13-2015 12:54 PM

Thanks, guys. I'll talk to the two installers about the Xpel. I'm beginning to wonder if I didn't contribute to it yellowing. I'm a big carnuba user, car and motorcycle. Oh well. I'll see what I'm up against. Before and afters when I make the jump.

Thanks again.

Perfectlap 05-13-2015 01:17 PM

it will yellow regardless, especially if air quality is an issue.

BYprodriver 05-13-2015 02:01 PM

I believe "guards" in front of rear wheelwells for "widebody" 911's have limited usefullness, & all other applications only usefullness is limited to whoever is receiving the sales profits.

antny 05-14-2015 12:22 AM

Find someone who uses llumar paint protection. A friend of mine installs it and it is some of the best film that is not supposed to have its glue not turn yellow

Snowman 05-15-2015 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYprodriver (Post 449581)
I believe "guards" in front of rear wheelwells for "widebody" 911's have limited usefullness, & all other applications only usefullness is limited to whoever is receiving the sales profits.

The more I think about it and look at them, that's almost certainly the direction I'm going. I don't see a single mark near there. I think I'll try Burg's suggestion for removal this weekend and see what she looks like without them.

jessezipper 05-17-2015 04:45 AM

Check out this stuff called xpel... There's a place in Monroe Michigan that specializes in this kind of stuff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk