Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2015, 04:51 PM   #1

Looking at buying a boxster - help with my decision

Hey guys,

Looking at trading my 2003 bmw z4 3.0i (rebuit title) with 53k miles for a 2000 Porsche Boxster S with 98k miles (clean title) in pristine condition. The owner really seems to know what is going on with his car. I am more curious on cost of ownership with the Porsche vs my BMW. I would assume the BMW might be slightly cheaper for parts/labor but the dealer here in town sells both Porsche and BMW out of the same shop. Any thoughts on this to help sway me one way or the other? I love my bimer but always wanted a Boxster S.

bnreed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:01 PM   #2

You'll love the Boxster S much more!
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:19 PM   #3
Hawaiian Driver

The Boxster S will turn more heads and it is much more forgiving when pushed hard. Sometimes I'm surprised at how visceral the car feels when at my limits. Mechanical music, adrenalin surge, or something like that
Old 05-11-2015, 05:35 PM   #4

Owned a 2001S and loved it. Mine was reliable as heck.

Very different driving feel from the Z4.

You know your car's maintenance history, do you know the Boxster's?

I always suggest getting a Pre-Purchase Inspection done at buyers expense by a mechanic who specializes in Porsches. Should enable you to predict when maintenance will need to be done.

They are getting on in age and things plastic/rubber tend to go with age. Little things like motor mounts, suspension bushings, fluid tanks, etc. And you have to stay on top of maintenance.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:26 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Plan on spending $2,000 per year on the Boxster for maintenance and repairs. You may not need it all in one year, but other years will definitely catch it up. This assumes that the work will mostly be done by a Porsche independent mechanic. If you can do your own work on the car, then decrease by 30%. If you're going to use a dealer, then increase by 50%.

In my experience, a Boxster is higher in ownership costs than a similar year BMW 3-series, but I am not sure how it compares to a Z4.

Read up on the Boxster intermediate shaft bearing (IMSB) issue. If this has not been replaced in the Boxster you are considering, then you will have to decide if it is worth the cost ($2K) to have it replaced. The Boxster community is split on this issue and only you can decide if you need that peace of mind or can live with it as-is.

Do not buy any Porsche without a PPI! A few minor issues can quickly add up to several thousand in repairs. The PPI will be the best $300 you ever spend. This way you will know exactly what you're getting into.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 05-11-2015 at 07:31 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:17 PM   #6

I bought my 2000 S a few years ago with 103k miles, now I am up to 117K. I did the IMS bearing before I picked it up. The previous owner had recently done the clutch but elected not to do the bearing. If you combine the bearing replacement with a clutch job, then the cost for the bearing drops considerably, since most of the labor is an overlap with the clutch job (figure maybe $3000 total?) At your mileage you could be getting close to new clutch time.

I agree with the $2000 per year. Mine is running well, but I had a scare recently where I thought I was going to have to do an expensive service to replace variocam chain pads. Luckily it turned out to be a false alarm.

This past weekend I took the car out to Sebring for a combine DE with the Citrus and Suncoast PCA regions and had a blast.

Lap of Sebring in my 2000 Boxster S

I have been loving the car. They are great cars.

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
In my experience, a Boxster is higher in ownership costs than a similar year BMW 3-series
Not my experience. We have a 2005 BMW 325xi and a 2003 Boxster S. The BMW has a little over 100,000 mi., the Boxster a little under. The BMW has been more expensive to own so far. although we love it too.
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:04 PM   #8

Strange.....right the opposite here

I have a 1998 E36 and a 2001 S. When I got the E36 it was not running and had been sitting for 2 years in the sun. I had the drivers seat reupholstered and a new headliner installed professionally. I replaced the bad fuel pump ($22) and except for oil changes and 1 set of brake pads in the past 5 years it has been my daily driver.....the Boxster true to form about $2K per year with me doing all the work

PS the E36 151K miles, the 01S is at 72K

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote