Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2015, 01:25 AM   #1

brakes sticking

if i leave my car for 5 days, when i get in start it up, release hand brake, can't pull off brakes are sticking, then they give with a bang then they release. is this normal.

lee1710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 04:32 AM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

No. drum break E brakes can be cleaned and adjusted. Rear hubs come off, drum brakes inside. With drum pads off, see how freely the cable moves.

ETA...No matter what anyone tries to sell you, it's NOT the rotor edge cutting through the sensor wire. TOTALLY different issue.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:23 AM   #3

I dunno Tim, it sounds to me like the rotor has fused itself to the sensor wire and is preventing the wheel from turning.
Old 05-08-2015, 05:54 AM   #4

Garage
On very rare occasions, when the humidity is very high, mine has done the same thing. At first it was a bit alarming, but after realizing what it was, I didn't worry about it. If it's doing it every time, all the time?? That would be a different story.
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:09 AM   #5
Registered Boxster abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
No. drum break E brakes can be cleaned and adjusted. Rear hubs come off, drum brakes inside. With drum pads off, see how freely the cable moves.

ETA...No matter what anyone tries to sell you, it's NOT the rotor edge cutting through the sensor wire. TOTALLY different issue.
I dunno maybe we should email ESC...
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee1710 View Post
if i leave my car for 5 days, when i get in start it up, release hand brake, can't pull off brakes are sticking, then they give with a bang then they release. is this normal.
Mine stick after I wash my wheels and let them dry. If I drive very soon after washing my wheels there is no sticking.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:53 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzle of Bees View Post
Mine stick after I wash my wheels and let them dry. If I drive very soon after washing my wheels there is no sticking.
Mine did this when I used to wash it & not drive until the next day.(4 years old 20K miles) The rotors have a thin layer of corrosion from washing them, that fills the space between rotor & brake pad. It's as if the brakes are locked until you drive off & grind away the corrosion.
Old 05-08-2015, 02:22 PM   #8

This IS normal in the UK after leaving the car unmoved for several days - especially if left outside.
When I lived there, the bloody awful weather used to rust the brake discs (rotors) to the pads within 24 hours. Just go round the car yards and look at all the rusting discs on cars that haven't moved for a couple of weeks....