Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2015, 05:15 PM   #1

Cpnvertible Top Problem

I just today had an issue with my roof on my 01 Boxster. I was closing it and at the point of fully closed instead of the motor shutting off and the light on the dash going out the motor started to do a slower humming and then cut out. I tried to open the roof and it opened up the rear cover partway and stopped no more up or down. I left it for a while and it moved a little more then stopped again. I can home roof closed/latched but rear access part way open and left it for a few hours. Then my daughter hit the button and I watched what was happening and no obvious binding noises and motor sounded more normal as the roof opened all the way up but seemed like the left side opened more fully then the right side and the right side of the rear cover wasn't as fully down. Eventually the rear panel cover went down fully but the light on dash for the roof did not go out. Upon trying to open the roof the left side was lagging and not opening at the same rate as the right so I am thinking perhaps the left cable to the motor may be bad? I would appreciate your suggestions.

FYI The light on the dash for the roof is on as is the parking brake light and the windows go down part way when the latch is opened. Thanks!

Blue01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 04:49 AM   #2

I sorted out the issue it was a broken left side cable from the motor to the left side clutch. No damage to the hardware just a broken plastic ball cup that I replaced with new ones found on Ebay for $ 20. Put new OEM cables on both sides made sure all was perfectly aligned and lubed up all tracks and pivot points.

Voila perfectly operating roof again for under $ 150 and a few hours of my time. Lots of good info in this forum and happy to have the top working well for the season!

Blue01 is offline   Reply With Quote