Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2015, 11:50 AM   #1
2 fast 4 U

Tie Rod End Stuck Help!

I started to change my tie rod ends and they were pretty tight to unscrew but were manageable until I got to the end of the thread it just jammed up. I can't get it to come out or screw back in, am I missing something I don't understand how it would just tight up just before coming off.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:14 PM   #2

Garage
probably galvanic corrosion on the threads.. tommy583 is having the same issue on another thread with a caliper bolt!

always coat the threads with copper grease where you have steel to ally it save a lot of pain and swearing.

i just changed out the steering rack on my 986 and the 'push in' connectors,, yes you've got it steel into ally !! grrrr.. I ended up using the dremel to cut out the old steering rack female to get the push in connector out.

if you have replacement track rod ends, try getting some heat on it, then soak in release oil, leave for 15 mins, rinse and repeat.. or you could cut a groove down the side of the sleeve with a dremel or grinding wheel and either get release oil in there or cut away the tie rod ends without dmagaing the thread.
2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 03:02 PM   #3
2 fast 4 U

The way it's looking I may just have to change both the outer and inner tie rod. Just didn't want to take out the whole thing it's tight getting the inner rod out.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:25 AM   #4
2 fast 4 U

It just won't budge anymore. It just stopped turning and seems completely stuck. I tried heat it up many times and applying penetrating oil and no luck. How are is it to take the inner and outer tie rod out together?
Old 04-30-2015, 04:47 PM   #5
2 fast 4 U

Can you take the entire inner and outer tie rod out without separating them. Mine is stuck the outer tie rod won't unscrew it came out 3/4 of the way and now it's completely stuck.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:04 PM   #6
Registered Boxster abuser

Stupid question but are you sure you do not have the lock nut against the tierod end?

Get the tool first to remove the inner tie rod. It is probably a generic vw one but not sure. ask Oreilly. Then if the socket is not long enough, hack saw the inner tie rod end in half. Of course i would use a cut off tool.

Last edited by healthservices; 04-30-2015 at 07:22 PM.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:08 AM   #7

Best of luck with this

I had the same situation on an E36, after you get it apart and start putting it back together "AntiSeize"

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote