986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Pumping Gas (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5692)

janzenms 04-11-2006 07:02 PM

Pumping Gas

I hope no question is too stupid for you guys. :-) But what am I missing?

Every time I fill up my Boxster it seems to overflow a little. Tonight the whole damn pump came flying out of the fill hole when it hit the top. Luckily it didn't crash into the fender on its way to the ground.

I'd think it is this car, but in past years I've experience similar weirdness with rented Boxsters.

Am I doing something wrong or is pumping gas into Boxsters just a little weird?

Or do I need a refresher in petroleum transfers? LOL

-Mike

Rail26 04-11-2006 07:05 PM

Um, I let go of the handle when it clicks. I don't try to top it off....maybe that is the issue?

janzenms 04-11-2006 07:09 PM

nope... not topping off

Nope... I'm not trying to top it off. When the punp stops I remove it... there just always seems to be a little pool of gas left. It's almost like it the pressure of the filled tank doesn't stop the gas flow soon enough.

blinkwatt 04-11-2006 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janzenms
Nope... I'm not trying to top it off. When the punp stops I remove it... there just always seems to be a little pool of gas left. It's almost like it the pressure of the filled tank doesn't stop the gas flow soon enough.

Mine did this as well. Next time when pumping gas hold the handle up at an angle and pump it. That fixed it for me.

janzenms 04-11-2006 07:20 PM

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Mine did this as well. Next time when pumping gas hold the handle up at an angle and pump it. That fixed it for me.

I'll try that, thanks.

fab 04-12-2006 04:01 AM

Are you pumping from the same gas station? or does it occur regardless which gas station you use?

70Sixter 04-12-2006 09:14 AM

Probably due to those awkward CA vapor recovery systems. I've had that problem with wife's Grand Cherokee in CA. Some will hardly pump w/o shutting off every few moments.

SD987 04-12-2006 11:35 AM

"Or do I need a refresher in petroleum transfers? LOL"

Here's a quick refresher:

1. Try to park reasonably close to the pump, and do not operate the pump upside down, like this gentleman:

http://i2.tinypic.com/v8knbp.jpg

2. Make sure the pump is removed before driving off:

http://i2.tinypic.com/v8l993.jpg

MNBoxster 04-12-2006 01:10 PM

Hi,

There is a design issue with the flexible fuel hoses inside the Tank which cause difficulty in fueling the Car such as you describe. It is covered in TSB #2015 and requires a modification to the internal Flexible hoses. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

denverpete 04-12-2006 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

There is a design issue with the flexible fuel hoses inside the Tank which cause difficulty in fueling the Car such as you describe. It is covered in TSB #2015 and requires a modification to the internal Flexible hoses. Hope this helps...

Jim - If I'm not mistaken, they will fix this for free only under warranty - correct? I was reading somewhere that it's not necessarily a cheap fix (but what is?).

MNBoxster 04-12-2006 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denverpete
Jim - If I'm not mistaken, they will fix this for free only under warranty - correct? I was reading somewhere that it's not necessarily a cheap fix (but what is?).

Hi,

I have no idea if it's a Warranty item or not, probably is though. In the TSB it states:
  • Labor Operation # : 20 15 19 99 * Time: 70 TU Description: Remove and install fuel level sensor. Perform fuel hose modification
    * State: "Fuel Tank Hose Modification" in claim drop-down box.

This leads me to believe that you are correct, but it's worth checking. Also, if it's that bad to refill, there may be little choice but to have the work performed. If you have the procedure and don't mind working around the open Fuel Tank, it appears to be a fairly easy DIY task...

ralegen 04-13-2006 11:42 AM

I would do what Blinkwatt says. Hold it at an angle. I noticed this too; my guess would be the distance from the inlet and the base of the pipe leading to the tank is short. I have no idea about that, but more than likely it's due to the pressure getting a lot higher in the tank compared to the outside; Boyles law. The gas pressure will want to come out thereby moving the gas (liquid) out. Well whatever, just angle it.. drain the remainder of gas fluid in the pump, and keep the opening on gas tank inlet, open with the spout end of the pump. It works for me.