Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2015, 03:21 PM   #1

OEM Porsche Sat Nav Question

Hi fellow forum members,

The original stereo set up in our 98 Porsche is dead, and I have just commenced a search for the replacement. Whilst searching on eBay for a replacement I saw several OEM Porsche Sat Nav’s for sale. Looking to get some thoughts or feedback from folks who have contemplated installing the OEM Sat Nav, or done this install to better understand what additional parts are involved to make this happen. I understand that the after market Sat Navs will offer a lot more functionality, but if at all possible I would like to keep the vehicle as original as possible hence my query. As always, I appreciate the input and feedback.

Looking to add: Ferrari 328 GTS | Classic Rolls Royce
Britrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:24 PM   #2

Garage
I am unsure if it will fit into the dash but Porsche classic now offers a back dated sat nav with a really small screen. It's a good conversation piece and would keep the car fairly "original."
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:30 AM   #3

Garage
If i remember correctly, the maps are out of date and are no longer being updated.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:06 PM   #4

I used to have a Becker Traffic Pro 4763. You can see pictures here: http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-parts-sale-wanted/51927-porsche-becker-traffic-pro-4763-a.html It looks similar to the Becker CDR-220 and installs pretty easily without dash modification. The only tricky part is installing the navigation antenna.

I sold it because, as BFeller points out, they stopped making map updates. I think you would have the same problem with the early 2-DIN PCM units.

I now have a Pioneer 2-DIN unit. You can see some pictures in post 17 of this thread: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/51283-does-anyone-know-vss-wire-02-bose.html

While no one would think it was OEM, the 2-DIN unit integrates pretty well in the dash. The functionality of the unit will be far superior to a Porsche unit from the early part of the century. As you can tell from the thread, installation of a 2-DIN unit is more difficult because you have to modify the dash.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 05-01-2015 at 06:09 PM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:28 PM   #5

Below is an OEM nav unit that went into our generation Boxsters. You need both the head unit and the driver that sits below it. When I decided I "needed" a nav unit with additional features I wanted to stay OEM and looked at these. The dated unit is missing too many features and would have required some major wiring to get it up and running. Not to mention they are going for a pretty penny when you can find them.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote