986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Spec Boxster did run at POC's STS event Sunday (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5685)

EPIQTodd 04-11-2006 12:23 PM

Spec Boxster did run at POC's STS event Sunday

Some asked for updates on the Boxster Spec series - here's one from Boxster Bob (a friend of mine whose record I just broke this weekend):

A Spec Boxster from San Diego ran at Sundays STS #3. The driver has a lot of experience racing (Mazdas) and was instrumental in developing the Spec Box Rules. This car was totally stripped out, no side windows, no convertible top (it had the hard top), no air compressor, etc., etc. The car had over 100K on it but the motor had less than 40K. The driver told me that the car had been gone through from top to bottom: suspension, brakes, motor, etc. It was very well turned out, looked great, and was running Hoosier Tires on 17" wheels.

Unfortunately (in my view) it did not seem to be that fast. Counter Clockwise with the Bowl, the fastest time was a 1:32.706, again with an experienced driver. That is only 0.216 seconds faster than Todd French in his 987 S with Michellin Cups. I would have thought with the weight advantage it would have been in the high to middle 1:20's.

PS: It was classed in in J Production

Some of you wanted updates, and I wish I had taken a picture too. Sorry. Here's one of me at the track, however...

http://www.epiqautosport.com/todd5.jpg

BuffaloBoxster 04-12-2006 05:18 AM

This might be a dumb question, but what's "spec" about this particular car? It sounds to me like he went through the entire car...

EPIQTodd 04-12-2006 06:26 AM

Spec means it has a very detailed set of specifications that makes each car in the class totally equal, so all that is left from that point in making a differece with times is driver. The spec classes make it so that the variations from car to car, even within a stock class, do not give any advantages. The 944 spec class has been popular for a few years, and there is talk of a 911 spec class as well.

BuffaloBoxster 04-12-2006 08:44 AM

I understand all that, but in general spec classes are meant to take a lot of the technical work out of racing.. Just doesn't seem that way to me is all..

Not that a spec Boxster class, however it's implemented, is a bad thing...

Brad Roberts 05-02-2006 03:33 AM

Hi gang!

We went through the whole car because it has 180k on the chassis/tranny/axles. The 2.5 engine was replaced with a 40k version and all worn suspension related components were replaced.

I posted this (in my own defense) :cheers: on The Boxster Racing board:

Let me clear up a few items on the Spec car:

I had NEVER run that course "ever".. I ran clockwise without the bowl 1 time over a year ago. I only ran on Sunday at the event and was testing some new suspension parts for the spec class (sway bars and drop links).

I have quite a bit of NorCal track time, but close to none in SoCal.

The car is still over 2900lbs with me in it.

I find it difficult to compare it to another Boxster with 60-70 more hp?? I had him covered up in all the turns, he would obviously out run me on the straights.

Bottom line: the car is a blast to drive and I encourage more people who are thinking about racing a Boxster to take a closer look. The cars are easy to maintain and can easily be driven to the events if need be. This is all with stock air cleaner.. stock muffler.. stock brain.. You can run a different muffler but no headers or removal of cats.

Brad Roberts 05-02-2006 03:38 AM

This shot were taken back in Jan. when I ran with PCA for some of the first intial track tests at Willow Springs. The car ran 1:36's straight out of the box on Kuhmo's. The car now has a pretty cool graphics package that makes it stand out in photo's.

Oh.. FYI: This was my first event ever for Willow Springs (also the second time for driving a Boxster on a track) Bottom line: the car has a TON of potential.

Enjoy!

B

http://70.95.223.32/Boxster/Our986/Image7.jpg

limoncello 05-02-2006 03:48 AM

I think the spec concept is great. It allows good fun racing while reigning in the spending wars. Spec Miata really took off, and is a blast to watch. Since Boxsters sold in number, the earlier ones are reaching the age/price point where it's going to be reasonable to outfit a spec Boxster.
Good work guys! Y'all are paving the way for good times ahead, and whether I choose to dive in or not with my own car, I look forward to watching some good action at the track.
Related topic - check the Boxster Racing Board website for lots of good track info.

98Boxster98 05-02-2006 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Roberts
Bottom line: the car has a TON of potential.

Cool photo! Thanks for the driver viewpoint, Brad. I find the Spec Boxster development interesting and exciting.

Brad Roberts 05-02-2006 10:45 AM

Thank for the kind words. I sat on the POC board basically as a technical director putting the rules together towards the end of last year. We continue to test as often as possible the "pieces" we specified in the rules. I jumped in and got involved because of my past involvement with Spec Miata and the NASA Mazda Pro7 series and my love for Porsches. I know all to well about the teething pains Spec Miata endured while growing up.

I'm finding out a good solid car can be built for around 25k depending on the starting price of the donor. We *figured* 30k.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions about the series.

I'm currently looking to work with someone in SoCal to fund/build some rental cars and put together a "arrive&drive" program for potential clients. I have several years of PRO experience with GT3 cup cars and GT3RSR's in the ALMS series and Grand Am (I'm not a Pro driver)

Thanks for your time.

Brad