986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   A little Mechanic Rant (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56767)

TMass 04-18-2015 12:32 PM

A little Mechanic Rant

So 3 weeks ago I dropped off my 02 S to have the LN engineering single row to dual row put in along with replacing the plastic rear underside cover that had a bunch of duct tap on it. After 2 weeks and 2 days they called to say that the oil separator went out while putting it back together. They said they would do the labor free if I paid for the part $110...I said fine and asked if it would be ready this Friday (3 weeks) and they said yes. Called up Friday and said that they still had some smoke coming out of the exhaust. I went down there and the owner(who usually does this work had been out all week visiting his mother) so I talked with "X". X said that there was still smoke showing up when they started it especially cold start and the engine light was on....he said he had been going out there and starting running it every couple hours to "burn the oil off"....basically hoping it would get better. I commented hope is not a good strategy....looked underneath and no underside cover....they had not even ordered it after 3 weeks! i told them to have the owner call me first thing Monday morning.

My plan is that a I brought them a car that was running fine and wanted some preventive work done...I now have a car that is putting out smaoke with the engine light on. I leave for Texas Monday afternoon and will ask them if the car will be ready to pickup by endo of the day thursday. if not I will come get it and take it to the dealer (while I am in TX) and have them repair it and deduct it from their bill. Basically that will put it at one month to get these 2 items done. Sorry for the vent guys just eager to get my Boxster back.

Pdwight 04-18-2015 02:16 PM

OMG, that is terrible.

CHRISP357 04-18-2015 02:21 PM

I know I always pay more but whatever I'm currently driving, I always use the dealer. Haven't had any horror stories yet. (I hope I didn't jinx myself.)

flaps10 04-18-2015 03:00 PM

Why did they even touch the AOS while doing an IMS refit? Nothing about the job required touching the top side of the engine, let alone dropping it for the job.

Sounds like a place you should "mention" to save others the trouble of dealing with.

Best wishes on getting sorted. I'm sure it's frustrating. Stories like these just reinforce why no one touches my car with a wrench but me.

KRAM36 04-18-2015 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flaps10 (Post 445522)
Why did they even touch the AOS while doing an IMS refit? Nothing about the job required touching the top side of the engine, let alone dropping it for the job.

Sounds like a place you should "mention" to save others the trouble of dealing with.

Best wishes on getting sorted. I'm sure it's frustrating. Stories like these just reinforce why no one touches my car with a wrench but me.

Same for me, I do all my work and I know the job was done right

IMSB would be different, since I have a Tiptronic transmission. AOS can go out at anytime, but your situation sucks.

TMass 04-18-2015 06:46 PM

Thanks for the support guys....i feel this will probably end up in court. Maybe I am loading for brear.... he has done good work before but this time....%^^&** I do still need to talk the owner though.

I am trying to be fair.....but ready to blow.

thstone 04-18-2015 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flaps10 (Post 445522)
Stories like these just reinforce why no one touches my car with a wrench but me.

This is exactly why I spent this morning finishing up the water pump replacement in my 996. This way I know that its done right and I can save myself all of the frustration of having to deal with some tech would couldn't gave a fuch about whether the job was done right or not.

linderpat 04-19-2015 02:56 PM

the far bigger time bomb here is that you trusted an IMS bearing job to this shop. With these other things you are pointing out, I'd be very worried about what they did underneath. Are they an LN certified shop?

BruceH 04-19-2015 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linderpat (Post 445739)
the far bigger time bomb here is that you trusted an IMS bearing job to this shop. With these other things you are pointing out, I'd be very worried about what they did underneath. Are they an LN certified shop?

I was thinking the same thing. It sounds like it is time to find a new mechanic, owner or not:rolleyes: I would not let this shop do anything with the IMSB.

TMass 04-20-2015 03:35 PM

update: the owner returned and called me mid morning today. He apologized and said he had a family emergency and had to go to TX. He said he worked on my vehicle first thing this morning and it was up and running better than when i brought it in. He explained that when the oilseperator goes it can pop some plug caskets. the have to be reseated or you will get oil coming out the exhaust. He said the called him after i visited and he told them to not do anything else until he returned. My vehicle will be ready for pick up Friday morning when i return from business trip.

He as done good work for me at very fair prices to this point. Should i never go back or write this off to lesson learned and instruct only he is allowed to work on my vehicle from this point forward?

sorry for spelling typing on plane with some turbulence.

Chuck W. 04-20-2015 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMass (Post 445937)

Should i never go back or write this off to lesson learned and instruct only he is allowed to work on my vehicle from this point forward?

I would go back with you stipulation that he is the only one that works on the car. Family emergencies happen and family should always come first.

BruceH 04-21-2015 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMass (Post 445937)
He as done good work for me at very fair prices to this point. Should i never go back or write this off to lesson learned and instruct only he is allowed to work on my vehicle from this point forward?

sorry for spelling typing on plane with some turbulence.

That is really a tough call for us to make from a distance. If you are happy with his past work, then by all means return with your stipulation of only he works on it. Emergencies are part of life and I completley understand. It's good that he took control of the situation and explained why he was unable to complete the job himself.

mountainman 04-21-2015 11:52 AM

It is tough to find a good mechanic sometimes without this trial and error method which can be costly. As some have said, that is the reason I do most of my own maintenance myself. Took my 04 LE to TuneRS in coral springs,FL They did the DOF, new ISB, RMS and AOS in less than 24 hours. Great price, no problems or excuses and I couldn't be happier. Got several good reviews from others before using them. I guess for every good experience, someone else has a bad one. I think you were a lot more patient with them than I would have been.

healthservices 04-21-2015 11:54 AM

Wow, wonder what those seals could be. I'd like to know for future reference.