Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2015, 10:33 AM   #1
Ste

Garage
Engine Misfire Cylinders 4, 5 & 6

Hi,

this is my first post and my first Porsche Boxster! Have had it just over a week now, it's a 2000, 2.7 with 65K miles. Unfortunately in the last 3 years it has only covered 3,000 miles and in the last year only 100, not good for any car especially with the British weather.

Initial test drive seemed good, smooth and lots of power through the rev range, a week on and it's not so good. Initial symptoms were not being able to pull away smoothly from standstill and the car nearly stalling at anything below 2500 revs, anything above this seems fine and the engine pulls strongly. Idle seems ok and sits at about 800-900 revs but when you apply the throttle (in neutral) you get nothing and it wants to stall, occasionally this causes a small backfire, popping sound. If you increase the revs slowly until you reach 2500 and then rev hard it seems ok.

Pulling out of the driveway experiencing the same symptoms, the CEL flashed for a few seconds and then went away, I stopped and parked up. The OBD-2 scanner reported:

P0300 - multiple misfire
P0304 - misfire on cylinder 4
P0305 - misfire on cylinder 5
P0306 - misfire on cylinder 6

All were 'pending' codes.

I have read a number of posts with people reporting similar issues but was hoping to get some personal experience from the forum and any help would be most appreciated.
Normally with misfires I would think either plugs or coils, and when I can I will check but I am wondering about the significance of all 3 misfires being on the same bank, I have heard suggestions such as MAF, o2 sensors, lamda sensors but if it was any of these would I not expect another accompanying error code?

Please let me know if you need any more info, but hopefully your experience will help point me in the right direction. By the way I still love my new Porsche!

Last edited by Ste; 04-13-2015 at 08:59 AM.
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:22 AM   #2

Garage
where in the UK are you ?
2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:30 AM   #3

Try disconnecting the MAF and see what symptoms appear. If it resolves, take the MAF out and clean it with MAF cleaner, not electric parts cleaner but real MAF cleaner.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:54 AM   #4

Garage
Had the same thing - Changed out MAF - All better now
Duezzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:25 AM   #5
Ste

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
where in the UK are you ?
Hi, Leicester
Old 04-15-2015, 10:27 AM   #6
Ste

Garage
Thanks!, will try disconnecting the MAF and clean if needed.