Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2006, 01:01 PM   #1

Post Doing the Boxster's Brakes

Hello, I currently own a 1999 Boxster with about 38,000 miles. The brakes do not seem that great. That is, my daily driver Chevy Cobalt stops on a dime by comparison. I've heard mention of a "brake warning light", but I have no such indication. Could it be that someone disabled this at some point?

The rotors are fairly deeply grooved and I have no doubt that I will have replace them as well as the pads. First off, is doing the brakes on a Porsche any more complicated than doing the brakes on any other car? Are there any quality instructions out there on how to do it? Also, where is most affordable place to get the rotors and pads? Should I go online or just head down to the local Murray's Auto Parts?

GunNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 01:13 PM   #2

You DEFINITELY need new pads - the Boxster stops better than almost any car on the road, and most car mags' tests say the same thing.

Changing pads is easy - as easy as any other car, if you know how to do it. A Porsche dealer or independent will charge you an arm and a leg for labor, and full retail for the pads. I can certainly recommend replacing the pads you have now with Pagid OEM (street) pads - a bit more expensive, but better stopping power and wear. We've got them on special now, about 25% less than they normally are, because we bought a bunch and have them in stock while we had the chance to get them cheaper.

http://www.epiqautosport.com/mode/products/prid/153/1120

Only $56.20 for the set of fronts or rears. Be sure to get a new brake pad sensor as the one you have obviously isn't working anymore. It's good practice to get a new sensor whenever you change your pads.

2005 Boxster S - Atlas Grey/Black, PASM, Sport Chrono, Bose
2006 Infiniti M35 Sport
2007 Cadillac Escalade (tow vehicle with bling)

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

http://www.epiqautosport.com/images/epiqtoddavatar2.jpg
EPIQTodd is offline   Reply With Quote