Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2015, 01:29 AM   #1

5-speed transmission into S

hi. looking into what's required to put a 5-speed transmission into an S car. the big question for me is axles:

- the orignal 6-speed axles are too long, correct?
- the 5-speed axles won't work with the S hubs without a bunch of work (non-S bearings and hubs, etc.) correct?
- 987 axles will work with the S hubs and are shorter, but would require S transmission flanges in the 5-speed. Anyone know the length of a 987 axle (5- or 6-speed) vs a 986 5-speed axle?
- any other suggestions?

Thanks for any help.

The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 04:25 AM   #2

Garage
Some of this requires knowing which year(s) car and transmission.

1. You will need both transmission hangers (Mounts)
2. 987 axles take different speed sensors the sensor pre 987 picks up pulses from the outer surface. The 987 has the magnets on the face towards the bearing
3. 6spd axle splines are longer, so as you mentioned the bearing carrier will have to be changed.
4. 2002 and earlier transmission hubs on the 6spd take 10 mm bolts. The CV Bearing has a 10.1 MM through hole. The 5spd flange has an 8mm thread, and the CV bearing hole is 8.1 MM diameter through hole.
5. The 2003 and up axles have 10.1 MM diameters holes in the CV bearing for both 5spd and 6spd, but the 5spd still uses an 8mm threaded bolt, which has a shoulder to make the through size 10mm. You can get around this by drilling and tapping the axle flanges to 10mm (I have done this as a fix to stop breaking the bolts)
6. 5 speed axles are different lengths shorter than the 6Spd on the driver side and longer than the 6spd passenger side.
7. A 5spd clutch disc has a smaller pitch diameter spline, the same number splines, but a smaller pitch. so the disc's are not interchangeable.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 04:47 AM   #3

Garage
I researched going the other way and it requires.

1. Both carriers, bearings, hubs, rotors and calipers. (same brake pads)
2. Both transmission mounts
3. Both axles and axle bolts
4. Clutch disc and pressure plate.
5. Shift cable set.
6. A transmission

If your going to use a 987.1 must be 987.1 axle, bearing carriers, hubs, rotors calipers and sensors. 987.2 add control arms and links

The overall cost was too much, so I stopped looking.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:01 AM   #4

arrg. i knew the speed sensors changed in 2002, but thought that it was due to the change in abs from 5.3 to 5.7 - didn't realise the axles changed because of this as well.

so, that kills the 987 axle idea. i've been doing a bit of research (bearing cross-referencing) and the 986 5-speed axles might still work. the difference in 5- and 6-speed rear wheel bearings is in OD (+5mm for the S) and depth (+5mm for the S); the ID diameters are the same. So, i might be able to keep wheel carriers, wheel bearings, etc., and just use the 5-speed hubs with the 5-speed axles. from what i can see, only downfall is 5mm less thread for the axle nut.

possible?

The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote