Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2023, 01:04 PM   #1

My 1999 Boxster Base doesnt want to Start

Hey all...

Im a brand new member. I bought a 1999 base on Copart with 45k miles for $4750. I LOVE IT.

When it was delivered... the battery was dead and needed a jump. I bought and installed a new one.

The radio had a blown fuse. Fixed.

It started and ran great for a few weeks.

I washed it. Overnight, it froze. When i checked the next day... puddle of water under the front of the car. Popped the hood... and the area under the battery was filled with ice. The puddle was from it melting and draining.

However, ever since then, it doesnt want to start. Ill charge the battery all night. Try ignition. It will click most times. Then nothing. Ill jump it with a spare battery and it will run idly for hours. Lights on... stereo on. No problem. If i turn it off and restart... more clicking. But not always. Sometimes, it fires right up. Turn off, turn on, no problem. Then ill try again... more clicking. Or sometimes it will barely turn over enough to start... sounding like the battery is on the verge of dying.

Im thinking a loose/corroded cable. It diesnt seem like a battery/starter/or alternator issue. Once she starts (EITHER on her own or with a jump) it runs fine.

What should i try?

Thanks.

Randywhatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 03:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randywhatson View Post
Hey all...

Im a brand new member. I bought a 1999 base on Copart with 45k miles for $4750. I LOVE IT.

When it was delivered... the battery was dead and needed a jump. I bought and installed a new one.

The radio had a blown fuse. Fixed.

It started and ran great for a few weeks.

I washed it. Overnight, it froze. When i checked the next day... puddle of water under the front of the car. Popped the hood... and the area under the battery was filled with ice. The puddle was from it melting and draining.

However, ever since then, it doesnt want to start. Ill charge the battery all night. Try ignition. It will click most times. Then nothing. Ill jump it with a spare battery and it will run idly for hours. Lights on... stereo on. No problem. If i turn it off and restart... more clicking. But not always. Sometimes, it fires right up. Turn off, turn on, no problem. Then ill try again... more clicking. Or sometimes it will barely turn over enough to start... sounding like the battery is on the verge of dying.

Im thinking a loose/corroded cable. It diesnt seem like a battery/starter/or alternator issue. Once she starts (EITHER on her own or with a jump) it runs fine.

What should i try?

Thanks.
Start with cleaning both battery connections.
Battery posts and cable connectors
They\n check and clean the connection of the negative cable where it hooks to the body.
If this does not solve your problem then you need to do a voltage drop test of the starting system

blue62 is online now   Reply With Quote