Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2015, 09:28 AM   #1

End of Guvs Yellow 986

As the title says I got totaled by a Polish arctic driver on my way home from Bedford last night on the M6.

Driving in the center lane minding my own business in heavy traffic on a average speed limit part of the M6, lot of traffic, keeping up with the speed limit at the time, when the above decided he fancies a lane change from the left lane to the center, what he didn’t see was me just cursing passed as he was LHD and I was down in what I think was his blind spot, (or he didn’t look there) anyway the car behind me (later told me) he could see what was going to happen and eased off and backed up waiting for the inevitable to happen, well I got fishtailed spun over into the 3rd lane rear ended into the central reservation, my first thoughts were What (the fu*k) I’ve had a blow out, managed to get control of the car for a second then lots it again and seen the front of this arctic bearing down on me I then bounced back into the centre lane, he either clipped me again or the momentum of the spin change, anyway I ended up spinning the other way and clipped the center reservation barrier again this time with the front offside, and came to a stop in the 3rd lane, thank god there wasn’t a massive pile up only down to the quick reactions of the driver behind me and the speed of traffic at the time.

I came out unscathed as I braced as soon as he hit me while holding onto the wheel for grim death trying to correct it which I did for that one moment, however my son was thrown about and suffered bruising and suspected broken/fractured ribs he was taken to hospital from the scene for a checkup all ok, I refused to go and waited for recovery with the car.

The wombles were there quite quick and after asking me if I was ok and me saying yes to that question he then said “well if there is no one injured there’s no need to call the police” again (fu”k) I then said I have a bad shoulder and as you can see my son is in pain, call the police and an ambulance. By this time I had spoken to the guy behind me and asked what the hell happened he told me the story and I got details as a witness as did the police.

After about an hour on the hard shoulder things had calmed down the traffic PC dealing with accident came and had chat and told me they were impounding the arctic and taking the driver for further questioning as he didn’t have all the correct paper work, you can image what I thought straight away was “he’s not insured” I was calmed down by the PC saying that the interpreter has spoken to the firm and they have got the necessary insurance he just didn’t have the paper work, so the police are keeping the arctic until they are satisfied all is in order.

Guvs

Guvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:40 AM   #2
On the slippery slope

Garage
Guvs,
Sorry to hear about your car. The good news is you guys are OK
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:41 AM   #3

Glad you're ok. Yellow can be replaced, people not so much.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:42 AM   #4

Garage
Dame bro, your story made me sick to my stomach just reading it... so sorry. I know insurance never pays out what its 'actually' worth to you and all the countless hours you put into it. Rest assured once a Boxster owner always an owner - I see a new Boxster in your future bro. Keep it real - stay positive.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:51 AM   #5

That stinks! Sorry to hear about your car but glad to see no one was hurt. It could have gone really bad.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:04 AM   #6

Garage
So sorry to read this thread Guvs. Firstly, I hope your son is doing ok and it's nothing more than some bruising.

I'm sure you are relieved it wasn't anything worse. Cars can be replaced.

I hope you find another Boxster that will bring back the smiles. All the best!
Old 04-06-2015, 10:13 AM   #7

Garage
First off, happy to hear no one was hurt seriously. Second, the car, although totaled, held up well for what happened.

Lastly, what is a womble and artic.? Is an Artic a refrigerated lorry?
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:14 AM   #8

Sorry to hear and at the same time glad to hear you and your son are mostly OK.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:16 AM   #9
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Oh man, I feel sorry for you.
At least you guys are ok.

Jeeez, my saying..."beware of evil trucks", always get away from them as fast as possible.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:27 AM   #10

Cars can be replaced. It's very easy for a minor accident to quickly turn into a freak accident with far more dangerous consequences.

That being said, I always feel a little sad when I see an old car wrecked.
Even though it makes no sense to get attached to a hunk of metal and rubber, plenty more ready to take its place.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFeller View Post
First off, happy to hear no one was hurt seriously. Second, the car, although totaled, held up well for what happened.

Lastly, what is a womble and artic.? Is an Artic a refrigerated lorry?
Thanks everyone for you kind comments, and yes me and my son are both well over it now and no after affects, the hunt is now on for a replacement and I think I might have found it.
A womble is a cartoon character over here in UK (not sure if you have seen them over with you) they are fictional pointy-nosed, furry creatures that live in burrows, where they aim to help the environment by collecting rubbish left laying about.

We have units of two men in range rovers that patrol the busy motorway over here waiting for accidents to happen, and when they do they are usually first on the scene and after checking everyone is ok, it is they’re job to get the motorway flowing as fast as they can, and the police will arrive when there is a unit free to sort out the legal stuff, you often see the patrol units on the motorway sweeping up all the rubbish after an accident hence the nick name “Wombles”
As for arctic that’s just a nick name for a very large 18 wheeler truck, the one behind me in the second photo is the one that hit me, not thought of them being refrigerated I think it’s because the are articulated (swivel between cab and trailer)
Guvs.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:47 AM   #12

Glad to hear you and your son are not badly injured.

Seems like the stats say that Boxster crashes don't often have critical injuries so its a pretty safe car.

I never drive beside a truck and try to stay out of everyones blind spot most of the time. Improves the odds quite a bit.

With cell phones and distracted drivers though its just getting more risky being on the road.

Just this morning I saw that a driver hit a concrete barrier end-on in a highway construction area. No other cars involved, probably a distracted driver.

When a Boxster has had an accident I always say its upgrade time. In your case perhaps a 2004+ with a few nice additions is in order.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:58 AM   #13

Garage
So sorry to see that you went through this. It is never fun, best wishes moving forward.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:18 PM   #14
Certified Boxster Addict

Wow! What a story! My heart sank as soon as I saw the first picture.

Glad that you and your son are ok - that is what matters most. Sorry to see the sad state of the Boxster. I also had my Boxster totaled by someone else and so I can understand how you are likely feeling. Keep us up to date on what happens next.

And thanks for the explanation about the wombles!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:05 PM   #15

Quote:
I refused to go and waited for recovery with the car.
What did your wife say?!?

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl - My 914-6 Build/Project Story
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by patssle View Post
What did your wife say?!?
"How’s our son" typical, she knows what I'm like when it comes to my cars and Bikes she knew I'd be alright.
Guvs.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:53 PM   #17

Garage
Glad you and your son are ok Guvs. I came within a second of getting T Boned today in a parking lot. An idiot blew through a stop sign easily going 60. Again, this is in a parking lot. He was just a flash in my windshield. Be careful out there everyone.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:46 AM   #18

Others have said it, but i will say it again.......glad you are OK! Things can be replaced, maybe an upgrade is in order?
Old 04-08-2015, 02:47 AM   #19

I hate to hear it happened but glad you guys came through it. Could have been a lot worse. Now you can hunt for your next Boxster.
Fortunately they made a lot of them.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:35 AM   #20

Garage
Looks nasty, i hate the M6 with a passion, glad to hear you and your son are OK thats the main thing. Most accidents with lorries involve a LHD truck.

M4SGK1986 is offline   Reply With Quote