986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Do my own IMS? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56611)

Timco 04-05-2015 08:36 AM

Do my own IMS?

Seems the Indy guy who was willing to just do this for me at my shop while I was doing the clutch just never finds time, or I get busy. These things happen, car has been on stands for 2 months now.. damn

How difficult vs the entire disassembly is this bearing to replace? Rent his tools? If not, what all do I need? Can I find the needed tools locally or do I buy them?

Viper10000 04-05-2015 12:17 PM

After the flywheel is off its not very difficult at all. Just make sure you use the special tools and follow instructions. I did mine on my '02 Base and I'm in the process of putting it back together still. It's been on stands since January so I can definitely feel your pain there!

Duezzer 04-05-2015 12:51 PM

I used the EPS IMS replacement kit - It came with the pulling and install tools along with cam chain locks - Not sure which you are using but it was a simple in out process - took as long to lock the cams as it did to R&R the bearing The EPS bearing - been in the car a while now without any issues but also limited miles on it so far. There is huge debate about what is the right one to use - I don't care which anyone uses I am just saying this one came with the tools to do the job right.

I also like it comes with an oiling system - you will have to undue the front engine mount to get to the oil pump - have a new oil pump housing o-ring on hand just in case yours is hard or damaged during removal.

Have fun

Jamesp 04-05-2015 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timco (Post 443646)
Seems the Indy guy who was willing to just do this for me at my shop while I was doing the clutch just never finds time, or I get busy. These things happen, car has been on stands for 2 months now.. damn

How difficult vs the entire disassembly is this bearing to replace? Rent his tools? If not, what all do I need? Can I find the needed tools locally or do I buy them?

Replacing the bearing is Easy Peasy Lemon Squeazy. Pulling the old bearing can be done with self made tools and is a no brainer. I used a PVC fitting to drive in the new bearing into the IMS, and have to admit I ruined the first bearing and had to source another bearing to complete assembly.

BobRickel 04-05-2015 05:23 PM

[QUOTE=Duezzer;443684]I used the EPS IMS replacement kit - It came with the pulling and install tools along with cam chain locks - Not sure which you are using but it was a simple in out process - took as long to lock the cams as it did to R&R the bearing The EPS bearing - been in the car a while now without any issues but also limited miles on it so far. There is huge debate about what is the right one to use - I don't care which anyone uses I am just saying this one came with the tools to do the job right.

I also like it comes with an oiling system - you will have to undue the front engine mount to get to the oil pump - have a new oil pump housing o-ring on hand just in case yours is hard or damaged during removal.

I installed the EPS system in my 97 Boxster about 4,000 miles ago. Everything is purring along fine so far.

Jake Raby 04-05-2015 08:30 PM

Quote:

I also like it comes with an oiling system
You do understand where that oil comes from, correct? Its taken from the pump, which means its feeding the IMSB with unfiltered oil. The pump in these engines is before the filter.

Just something that few have considered.

Timco,
of course you can do this yourself. Mae sure that you qualify the engine first and approach with care, thats all it takes.

I am doing an "IMS 101" online class next month, its 8 hours all about the IMSB, retrofit and etc. You might want to join in. Its the best 595.00 you can spend.

flaps10 04-05-2015 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Raby (Post 443736)

I am doing an "IMS 101" online class next month, its 8 hours all about the IMSB, retrofit and etc. You might want to join in. Its the best 595.00 you can spend.

Dude. On line, that is awesome. I would way rather save the cost of airlines/hotel and go that route.

Duezzer 04-06-2015 06:51 AM

Jake,

Let me make sure I get this correct - the oil is sucked out of the oil pan by the pump - sent to the filter then dispersed through the engine returning back to the pan to be sucked up again.

Glenn

Perfectlap 04-06-2015 07:05 AM

I recall a guy on Rennlist being one of the first DIY'er of this on a 996.
He had no experience taking down a transmission or a jack to do it.
He fab'd up his own RMS removal tool out of pvc piping.
He otherwise had no special tools but granted he was also 928 owner so he had experience fixing things a lot. :)

Given the critical nature of this job, I would wait for your indy or give him an extra incentive.
IMHO there are DIY jobs that will only be done once so best to give it to the guy who has done it more than once.

Duezzer 04-06-2015 07:10 AM

Jake,

Most of the retro fits I have seen have no seals on the bearing. Suspect you could make the case that it is easier to get dirt into it by using oil supplied by the pump but bearings that are open are also at risk as they are partially immersed in unfiltered oil. Correct?

Timco 04-06-2015 07:13 AM

Will the options online say what tool I have to buy? I don't want to buy based on the tool coming with it. LN options seem solid. Leaning that way but lack having seen it done or the tool. Either way I'm doing this this week. I'm over having the car sitting there on stands.

Jake Raby 04-06-2015 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flaps10 (Post 443741)
Dude. On line, that is awesome. I would way rather save the cost of airlines/hotel and go that route.

This is just one class, not all of what I instruct can be done online; lots of it requires hands on experience.

I am offering the M96/ M97 "101" class online as well, schedule will be released in my newsletter next week.

My IMS Solution uses just filtered oil, fed directly from the spin on oil filter adaptor to supply clean oil to the IMS Solution plain bearing.

Timco,
The tools that you need will be dictated by the technology that you choose to employ for the retrofit.

Timco 04-06-2015 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Raby (Post 443769)
This is just one class, not all of what I instruct can be done online; lots of it requires hands on experience.

I am offering the M96/ M97 "101" class online as well, schedule will be released in my newsletter next week.

My IMS Solution uses just filtered oil, fed directly from the spin on oil filter adaptor to supply clean oil to the IMS Solution plain bearing.

Timco,
The tools that you need will be dictated by the technology that you choose to employ for the retrofit.

And should I choose one of your options, what specific tools do I need to find? Are we back to the public installing your bearing issue?

Thanks Jake, Tim

Jamesp 04-06-2015 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duezzer (Post 443766)
Jake,

Most of the retro fits I have seen have no seals on the bearing. Suspect you could make the case that it is easier to get dirt into it by using oil supplied by the pump but bearings that are open are also at risk as they are partially immersed in unfiltered oil. Correct?

I'm sure not Jake, but I agree with you. The worst of the trash in the oil likely sinks to the bottom near the pickup or outside the baffles. The pickup sucks up the oil, it passes through the pump and into the filter.

So my take on stealing oil -

From the pump, great from an overall oil pressure standpoint, not so good from a clean oil standpoint.

From an unused port on the head - great from a clean oil standpoint, steals oil pressure from that head though.

From an adapter at the oil filter- great from a clean oil standpoint, great from an overall oil pressure standpoint

From a splash oil standpoint - great from an oil pressure standpoint, so so from a clean oil standpoint.

My 2 cents.