Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2006, 09:31 AM   #1

Aftermarket heated seats? Cold weather top-down driving

I'm thinking of putting in after-market heated seats in my 01 2.7L.

Anyone tried this? I ran into a guy who said he could do it (he's got an automotive upulstory (how do you spell this?) shop. He said he could do it for about $400USD taxes included for both seats.

He showed me what he would put in. It's a flat piece of heating element that looks like a tan piece of cloth and is about 1 foot by 2 feet. The wiring, switches and installation are included in the price.

The switches are 2-position, that is, they have a High and Low setting as well as off.

If you have seat heaters, can you comment on their ability to keep you warm on a cool day with the top down? I have seat heaters in my other car. They really only heat my bum and lower back. And when I drive the Boxster with the top down, I'd usually wear a jacket if it's cold and so warmth isn't the issue. It's actually my HEAD that gets cold. And so I'm not so sure seat heaters would help me.

socratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:23 PM   #2

It's definately a bum and lower back type of thing.

I think they do a very good job of keeping you warm on cool days (I'm assuming you're looking at 40-50 deg F) if you combine that with the heater on HI. If at highway speeds, I roll up the windows and direct the heat to the feet. You'd still need a jacket. Seems to work for me anyway on trips through the mountains.

Mostly I like the heated seats for really colds days (top up) before the car has warmed up. It's also nice that my wife can turn on her seat and be comfortable without me having to crank the heat (temperature wars).

BTW, $400 seems pretty reasonable - particularly if he connects them to the factory locations on the center console.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 09:22 PM   #3

Socratic, what province or town are you in? $400 for heated seates would be great. My wife's BMW has heated seats and they are sooo nice on a chilly day. I have wanted to retrofit the heated seats into my boxster but the factory setup is extremely expensive.
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:44 AM   #4

We love the heated seats even here in NC. With top down they definitely extend the time before you put the top up. With max heat plus heated seats it makes topless possible on pretty durn-burn cold days.

Denver's right about getting into cold car even with the hardtop on.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 01:03 PM   #5
olly986

Socratic you do not mention what car you own, do not forget that if you have a plastic rear window you should not lower your top if anything below 17 degrees celsius, which is in farenheit.....no bloody idea but not much, risking to crack and whiten your rear window.

see ya
Old 04-10-2006, 07:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve00s
Socratic, what province or town are you in? $400 for heated seates would be great. My wife's BMW has heated seats and they are sooo nice on a chilly day. I have wanted to retrofit the heated seats into my boxster but the factory setup is extremely expensive.
Steve, I'm 3 hours north of you. I'll send you a PM with the guy's business contact info.

It's starting to be a good time of year to zip up I5.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:44 PM   #7

Too bad there's no way to direct warm air at the back of your head.

I heard that some Mercedes convertibles have this ability.

I'm thinking that with the engine inches away from your head, there might have been a way for Porsche to pipe in hot air to the head area.

I've been tempted at times to wear a Yukon hat(!)
Old 04-11-2006, 11:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by socratic
Too bad there's no way to direct warm air at the back of your head.

I heard that some Mercedes convertibles have this ability.

I'm thinking that with the engine inches away from your head, there might have been a way for Porsche to pipe in hot air to the head area.

I've been tempted at times to wear a Yukon hat(!)
Actually, Recaro makes some Porsche GT seats with heating and ventilation both for the seats and around the neck. Don't remember the price but saw them as I was perusing some websites a few nights ago....

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote