Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2005, 08:23 AM   #1

Lightbulb Clear film protection

Has anyone had experience with doing their own clear protection on the front of their Porsches? It seems like a really good idea but since the going price for installation seems to be $800-$1000, I checked into doing it myself. Kits are available for about $200 and it looks relativly easy. I'd like to know what the reality is. The kits I found are at this web site:
www.clearmask.com/
Any real world experience would be appreciated.
Thanks, Steve

blkflg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 08:59 AM   #2

You can get it done for around $500 if you look around.

For putting it on yourself, it will be very difficult to do the bumper on your own. The rest is pretty straight forward and regular shapes. The bumper has a lot of ins and outs that make it difficult if you don't know exactly how to do it.

Maybe you can find a shop that will do the bumper for you and you can do the rest. I'd hate for you to work hard to do the bumper then be PO'ed because it's not perfect and you have to remove it.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:19 AM   #3

BLKFLG - Good site. This looks like the right material. I have been looking also, but put off by the price. I might order the wheel arch kit (only $28) and play around with it to judge whether I can get in applied correctly. Small investment to see how it works -
Agree with delerious on the bumper - lots of curves. I put carpet protector ($10/roll at Lowe's) on the bumber for track days. It's cheap and will last one day easily, but it would sure be nice to have a permanent solution.
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:43 AM   #4
bmussatti

I have seen the clear protective films on several cars, and IMHO, I think they look awful. For one, you can see a definitive edge, where the paint transitions to the film, which is about 1/2 down the hood. The film also has less luster to it and really adds to the 'orange peel' effect on the hood. The bumper parts looked even worse, very cloudy with aging!

I have seen this coating on several Boxsters, and these were applied by Porsche at the factory, and the cars were executive driven by Porsche employees. Apparently Porsche orders the cars this way for their North American employees. You'll find a few at the dealers, in their new car and used car inventory. They are almost exclusively Midnight Blue Metallic with Full Leather Sand Beige, PASM and Sport Chrono. Car's MSAP was $69.2K.

The Porsche option is called "Show Finish". I don't remember the option code. I'll look for it again.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
For one, you can see a definitive edge, where the paint transitions to the film, which is about 1/2 down the hood. The film also has less luster to it and really adds to the 'orange peel' effect on the hood. The bumper parts looked even worse, very cloudy with aging!
That depends on the brand and installer. I had the 3M film installed nearly 3 years ago and it still looks fantastic. Bumper is shiny and practically invisible. Fenders look great and you have to look very close to see where the film stops. We had a custom sheet put on that covers the entire hood so there is no line. Randall saw it and it seemed like he couldn't tell it was on until he was pretty close (let me know if that's wrong, Randall).

The only parts I don't like are the mirror covers. The curve is so tight it has a tendency to pull up there. The only other thing I don't like is since I got a cut in the hood piece, I will have to replace the whole piece. It did keep a large rock from causing major damage to the hood, though, so I'm sure the plastic will be cheap compared to the possible damage without it.

If you get it done, just make sure you get the good film (3M is thickest and no yellowing) and a great installer.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 11:46 AM   #6
bmussatti

The Porsche option code is #742- Show Finish.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:31 PM   #7

it came with my car, I bet you can't see the lines.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 01:52 PM   #8
bmussatti

Perfectlap, looks very good, in the photo, and your car is a light color (Silver). On darker colors, the line shows a lot more.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:09 PM   #9

I had a choice of two Arctic Silvers, one with and one without the clear film. I chose without. Yes, I'll have more chips, but I've seen the film get pitted, too, and the car with it just didn't look good to me. The film adds 100% more orange peel to the look of the paint, and it was very visible indoors and out. Porsche has great-looking paint, and I felt the chip resistance was outdone by the decrease in beauty.

It's everyone's choice - I just didn't like all the film all over the place.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliriousga
Randall saw it and it seemed like he couldn't tell it was on until he was pretty close (let me know if that's wrong, Randall).
Yup, darn near invisible and I'm just about as anal about paint jobs as anyone I know.

But then again, your car is speed yellow. I bet the film on my black box would definitely show the lines where it ends.

This whole thread makes me sad, by the way... my hood, front fenders and bumper are so dinged up that I really should have them painted. I just don't have the cash!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:16 AM   #11
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour

This whole thread makes me sad, by the way... my hood, front fenders and bumper are so dinged up that I really should have them painted. I just don't have the cash!

Hey Randall, we don't want to see you sad. Please cheer up!

I have an idea! There are over 3,000 members on this forum. I say we all send you $1 each to help you fix your dings...and cheer you up. I'll be the first to mail out $1 today. Please PM, or post your mailing address ASAP.

Regards!
Old 11-11-2005, 03:49 PM   #12

Here's a picture of my Lapis blue 2001 with Zaino and AutoBahnd clear bra here... you can see the line, but it is still not as noticeable as you might think in most situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Perfectlap, looks very good, in the photo, and your car is a light color (Silver). On darker colors, the line shows a lot more.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:42 AM   #13

Hmmm no threads here for awhile. I just picked mine up, full frontal clear bra all the way to windshield! Woot!

Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote