Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2015, 11:00 AM   #1

Garage
One Dash Speaker Not Working

This morning when i drove to work i noticed that one dash speaker was not working, right hand speaker, RHD car.

When i got home i took both the speakers out and i plugged the right hand speaker into the left hand side and it worked. So i know that both the speakers work. Any ideas what the problem could be? Could it be the amplifier?

Here are some details:

Car:- 2004 2.7 Boxster

Head Unit:- PCM 2 RDW Becker unit with the NAV. Model Number BE 6632 Part Number 996.642.214.06

Amplifier:- Becker type DSP-Amplifier Model Number BE 6600 Part Number 996.645.331.03

Steve

Last edited by M4SGK1986; 03-25-2015 at 11:26 AM.
M4SGK1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:10 AM   #2

Garage
Could be a bad speaker wire or a bad channel in the amplifier. Just for grins check the balance L to R.

2002 Boxster Seal Gray Metallic: Desnorkled, Changed ashtray to non-smoker's bin, Removed stickers from sunvisors, Added rear speakers, LED Shifter, Porsche logo on trunk lid, New top with heated glass window, Aspheric Driver's Side Mirror Upgrade, More to come...
randy7601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:26 AM   #3

Garage
Yeah i tried the left to right and when i turned it to right i had nothing. I think the next thing to try is test the channels on the amplifier with a meter and failing that, as you suggest try checking the wiring.
thanks Randy
Old 03-25-2015, 12:18 PM   #4

easier test... undo and swap side to side.

If dead one follows to new side, it's obviously the driver. Plus this way, if it's the driver (or even if not) you'll already have them both out ready to upgrade (which you'll want to do once you see how pathetic they are. You also get to check wiring while here...

Good luck
Old 03-26-2015, 02:29 AM   #5

Garage
I agree with Burg, thats your quickest test - if the speaker works then you will know its either the wire or the amp channel... then go to your amp and hook speaker up directly to the AMP with a new wire and if it works then you know you need to run new wire from your AMP back to your dash... if the speaker doesn't work when directly hooked to amp then you need to just replace your Amp most likely.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:33 AM   #6
ONF

Steve,

I have just bought a replacement amp, same model as yours as I had no sound coming through any of the speakers.

Got the amp from america, second hand but meant to be working and now I have sound but very muffled like there isn't enough power driving the amp or something. Posted on here for any ideas but nothing yet.

I'm in Birmingham as well so If you want to try the amp I bought let me know, will hopefully tell you if the amp is the issue and tell me if the amp i bought is faulty or if there is another issue!

Let me know if you want to meet up to see if you can get to the bottom of it. I've still got my old amp so could try both and see if there is a difference.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:50 AM   #7
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
easier test... undo and swap side to side.

If dead one follows to new side, it's obviously the driver. Plus this way, if it's the driver (or even if not) you'll already have them both out ready to upgrade (which you'll want to do once you see how pathetic they are. You also get to check wiring while here...

Good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCactus View Post
I agree with Burg, thats your quickest test - if the speaker works then you will know its either the wire or the amp channel... then go to your amp and hook speaker up directly to the AMP with a new wire and if it works then you know you need to run new wire from your AMP back to your dash... if the speaker doesn't work when directly hooked to amp then you need to just replace your Amp most likely.
Come on, guys! Is it really too much to read one post? It was made clear on the original post that...oh, never mind.

Try switching channels on the amp, then ditch the stock system since your iPod has more power and clarity
Old 03-26-2015, 10:07 AM   #8

Garage
True... probably best to just trade in your car for a brand new 2015 model. Problem solved!
Old 03-26-2015, 10:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Come on, guys! Is it really too much to read one post? It was made clear on the original post that...oh, never mind.

Try switching channels on the amp, then ditch the stock system since your iPod has more power and clarity
Must have something to do w/ the prime-meridian line or something wonky w/ the time-stamper here. Can't believe I [would have] missed his statement he tried swapping side to side...
Old 03-26-2015, 10:22 AM   #10
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Haha! Funny stuff
Old 03-26-2015, 11:03 AM   #11

Garage
haha 2015 model would be very nice.

Anyways, i have an update. i have just had a multi-meter and tested all the connections and i have signal readings on all the amp pins (except the earth of course) and i have a signal reading at the speaker so that eliminates a possible break in the wire. i tested it with the stereo turned on and got the signals tested it with the stereo off and no signal, exactly as it should be but no sound. when i adjust the balance over to the right i get nothing other than the base in the door speakers.

only possible thought is could a component in the amp have failed but still sending power out? or is there a crossover box/ frequency switch between the amp and the speaker that could have a component failure? if it is the frequency switch i have absolutely no idea where it is located, most likely somewhere hidden in the dash.

Oh, and i swapped the speakers again just to double check, and had the stereo unit out and tested all the connections there.

its a mystery.

thanks for the help chaps
Old 03-26-2015, 01:13 PM   #12

Garage
Some more food for thought, i just seen a mechanic friend and just run the problem past him. when i did the meter test at the speaker i got a reading on both sides of the connector. He mentioned that surely i should have positive one side of the speaker connector and negative on the other side, but i had a positive reading for both. i never checked the left hand side to see if i got the same. so tomorrow i will check the left side to see if i get a positive and negative. if i do then it may mean that the wire may have shorted against the positive some where so i get two positives going to the speaker. i may then try running a new negative wire and earthing it to see if that works.

i'll let you know my findings.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:47 AM   #13
ONF

Steve,

I've just checked with the multimeter on the amp and speakers etc. I've posted the readings I'm getting on the other thread. Interesting to see if they match up with the readings you're getting. Seems like we both have issues with the dash speakers
Old 03-28-2015, 11:47 AM   #14

Garage
Right, today i checked the left side to see if i get the same readings in the connector as i do on the right and i do. As the left works and the right doesn't, knowing that both speakers work ok, i'm thinking this is a fault with the amp. I am struggling to locate a replacement amp, plus i am only assuming it is the amp at fault. I might see if i can get it tested and/or repaired if needed.

Does anyone know if you can buy an aftermarket amp that will work with the MOST fiber optic system (plug and play)? I don't want to change the PCM unit as i want to keep the stock appearance.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:21 PM   #15
PKE

Used amps sometimes come up for sale on a famous auction site.
PKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:07 PM   #16

Becker Amp Fibre Optic

Just replaced this weekend a CDR23 and Becker 6600 Amp with a Kenwood and In Phase Amp so selling off the unwanted parts. Ill even put it in.

PM Me

Andy
nando986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:23 AM   #17
ONF

Andy,

If Steve doesn't take it could you let me know, I'll be interested. We've both got sound issues and swapped each others amps at the weekend and turns out we've both got broken amps so both on the hunt for replacements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando986 View Post
Just replaced this weekend a CDR23 and Becker 6600 Amp with a Kenwood and In Phase Amp so selling off the unwanted parts. Ill even put it in.

PM Me

Andy