Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2006, 09:41 PM   #1

Dension iPod Adapter out today!!!

Check out the link for the Dension Gateway 500 MOST iPod adapter!!!!

http://support.dension.com/dension/icelinkgateway500.php

rickhuizinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:55 PM   #2

It's not available in the US??

Peter Schwarzenbauer

My car @ Car Domain

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled01.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled02.jpg
Arctic Silver '05 Silver Boxster
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:57 PM   #3

Check out the densionusa.com home page. It has a countdown clock for introduction of a new unknown product (which happens to be listed on their European website)
rickhuizinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:26 PM   #4

will this work if you have the Bose system?
Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:53 AM   #5

Woohooo! About time!
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 08:21 AM   #6

FYI, Denison is known for announcing a product's availability well before it is launched - sometimes years. They've been promising Ipod adapters for Porsches adn BMW's in the USA for many months. Back in September there was a November date for launch, then November rolls around, and it's January. January comes along, and launch date for sure this time is March. March comes and goes and it moves to May, etc.

2005 Boxster S - Atlas Grey/Black, PASM, Sport Chrono, Bose
2006 Infiniti M35 Sport
2007 Cadillac Escalade (tow vehicle with bling)

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

http://www.epiqautosport.com/images/epiqtoddavatar2.jpg
EPIQTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:11 AM   #7

Hmm. That doesn't look like it's going to be very affordable. That's a lot of hardware. Wonder if it'll be at a reasonable price point or not.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:41 AM   #8

Wow, after further inspection...that IS a lot of equipment. I bet it will cost as much as the damn upgraded stereo. I shouldn't criticize the cuisine before it is served, however I have a feeling.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

Old 04-09-2006, 02:28 PM   #9

Not that bad

doesn't look like that much stuff. The little aluminum box looks to be about 4"x1"x2" judging by the size of the USB port on it. All you'd need to connect for the ipod is power, MOST fiber and the iPod connector. Then it's up to you to install any or none of the clips.

Looks like the electronics in the unit also allow you to play MP3s from any USB hard disk device or even a USB thumb drive, which is kind of neat!

Considering I paid muchos for the car, I don't really care how much this kit costs... I'm tired of listening to the same CD over and over, or to annoying DJ's in the morning...

Porsche is listed as launching end of June (no year specified, but let's assume it's 2006 this time!)
oranje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:47 PM   #10

You do know you can change the CD, right? I paid big bucks for the car, I'm paying big bucks to have Reus Systems redo the stereo, but I'm not sure I can stomach paying an exorbitant amount of money for this. If it comes out under $400, maybe.

edit: Did I really write "absorbitant"!? Man I must've been tired.

Last edited by eslai; 04-10-2006 at 10:24 AM.
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 11:35 PM   #11

MOST Icelink looks to cost around US $ 399

I saw something like that on their site
Sigh.... There goes $400
I mean c'mon, how hard would it have been to put an AUX jack on the back(or front!) of the fricken Becker unit.
orthopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:27 AM   #12

Why on earth would anybody bother to buy that? After all that then you have to buy an Ipod then have that stupid looking thing sitting around in your car. Personally I hate ipods and all MP3 players they are stupid looking and are for teenagers on buses..

If you really want an MP3 player for your car why not get a Phatbox. It's plug and play, comes with any size drive you want 20gb - 140gb and hooks to and works directly from the factory stereo.

You create directories for your music based on album, or mixed music etc.. I have one in my Jetta and will be getting one shortly for the Box. I have about 40 albums and say 5-6 mixed music directories and it's all controled from the stock stereo. Hell the thing even talk to you, it's amazing. It has a hard drive cartridge that you plug into a cradle through USB and you use their software to load music, create directories etc. I have one directory alone with about 500 songs in it so random lasts for ever.

http://www.phatnoise.com/products/digitalmediaplayers/pn_phatbox.php?selectedMake=Porsche

$699 for 40gb plug and play. It bolts right into your cd-changer slot.

Last edited by 986Jim; 04-10-2006 at 03:32 AM.
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 05:34 AM   #13

Whoa Jimbo,

What you say is the truth Kemosabe...however, we 987 have some kind of digital stereo thingy that won't take those kind of add-ons. The 987 owners are waiting for some kind of digital go between to be able to hook those up (somebody can explain the MOST problem much better than I can.) Right now, we can't hook up anything.

My entire music collection is on my IPOD. I love it...I can take my collection on the plane, the car, when I deploy and I can even listen to it in the hotel room through the FM transmitter. The last thing I want to do is buy another gadget. Although I do have my eye on those Garmin GPS running watches....
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

Old 04-10-2006, 05:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Jim
Why on earth would anybody bother to buy that? After all that then you have to buy an Ipod then have that stupid looking thing sitting around in your car. Personally I hate ipods and all MP3 players they are stupid looking and are for teenagers on buses..

If you really want an MP3 player for your car why not get a Phatbox. It's plug and play, comes with any size drive you want 20gb - 140gb and hooks to and works directly from the factory stereo.

You create directories for your music based on album, or mixed music etc.. I have one in my Jetta and will be getting one shortly for the Box. I have about 40 albums and say 5-6 mixed music directories and it's all controled from the stock stereo. Hell the thing even talk to you, it's amazing. It has a hard drive cartridge that you plug into a cradle through USB and you use their software to load music, create directories etc. I have one directory alone with about 500 songs in it so random lasts for ever.

http://www.phatnoise.com/products/digitalmediaplayers/pn_phatbox.php?selectedMake=Porsche

$699 for 40gb plug and play. It bolts right into your cd-changer slot.
Once again, Newer models are out of luck:
Quote:
Please Note
This edition is not compatible with PCM (navigation system) or with 2003 and newer Porsches.
Nice idea, however!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
eslai You do know you can change the CD, right? I paid big bucks for the car, I'm paying big bucks to have Reus Systems redo the stereo, but I'm not sure I can stomach paying an absorbitant amount of money for this. If it comes out under $400, maybe.
Got any info on Reus Systems?? I'm interested!

Peter Schwarzenbauer

My car @ Car Domain

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled01.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled02.jpg
Arctic Silver '05 Silver Boxster
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
Got any info on Reus Systems?? I'm interested!
I went up a couple months back and listened to the 997 Cab they were working on. It was magic.

What I'm getting done is what they call an "enhancement". They'll add an amp and a sub in the passenger footwell (this is a bit of a bummer--it's going to crowd that space by about four inches by the center console).

The amp works in conjunction with the stock amp, tweaking the output levels. I think he may add some resistors to the dash tweeters as well. The custom subwoofer, and its placement are key.

It doesn't sound like a lot of work, but it's seriously awesome. I only heard the 997 Cab in a setup that was about 75% complete and I was already sold. Imaging, sound stage, frequency response, etc.--they're all as they SHOULD have been when you ticked that (@#$^#$@ option box for the @(#&*$^@#^ Bose system.

Mine will be the first 987 they've done, after that they'll be able to offer a "kit" so to speak which should be able to be installed by them within a day. The price will probably be over $3000 though. Again, you're paying for the sound, not for a flashy, blinky head unit and two twelve-inch subs that rattle your door panels (although don't be fooled--that sub puts out plenty of bass).

If you love music, wait for my review and decide for yourself (or come listen--anyone in SoCal is welcome to come to SD and open their ears ). My car should be going in at the end of this month, to be done within a week or so.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:11 AM   #16

I'm a little confused by Dension's big news...

Going by their usa website, the big countdown/rollout is for something called DICE? which may or may not be compatible with Porsche/MOST? But on dension.com they're promoting MOST integration, via the same product or something different...Icelink Plus? for the bargain price of $159.99...

Is anyone else confused by all this? If not confused, please enlighten me, as I'd like to listen to my stupid-looking Ipod in the Boxster, instead of having to take the bus every day with those annoying teenagers.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:45 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
I went up a couple months back and listened to the 997 Cab they were working on. It was magic.

What I'm getting done is what they call an "enhancement". They'll add an amp and a sub in the passenger footwell (this is a bit of a bummer--it's going to crowd that space by about four inches by the center console).

The amp works in conjunction with the stock amp, tweaking the output levels. I think he may add some resistors to the dash tweeters as well. The custom subwoofer, and its placement are key.

It doesn't sound like a lot of work, but it's seriously awesome. I only heard the 997 Cab in a setup that was about 75% complete and I was already sold. Imaging, sound stage, frequency response, etc.--they're all as they SHOULD have been when you ticked that (@#$^#$@ option box for the @(#&*$^@#^ Bose system.

Mine will be the first 987 they've done, after that they'll be able to offer a "kit" so to speak which should be able to be installed by them within a day. The price will probably be over $3000 though. Again, you're paying for the sound, not for a flashy, blinky head unit and two twelve-inch subs that rattle your door panels (although don't be fooled--that sub puts out plenty of bass).

If you love music, wait for my review and decide for yourself (or come listen--anyone in SoCal is welcome to come to SD and open their ears ). My car should be going in at the end of this month, to be done within a week or so.

Yep Rick Reus is a good guy....You should hear my 986 with the full SST 16.2 System ....Cant get any better than that....Oh and i opted for the speakers in the rear view mirror as well....AWESOME STUFF
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 12:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail26
Whoa Jimbo,

What you say is the truth Kemosabe...however, we 987 have some kind of digital stereo thingy that won't take those kind of add-ons. The 987 owners are waiting for some kind of digital go between to be able to hook those up (somebody can explain the MOST problem much better than I can.) Right now, we can't hook up anything.
So my post applies to us Kemosabe's with 986's (986Forums?) without Nav which I would guess is a large majority on the site.

Anyway, sorry to hear about it not working in your 987, thats a bummer. The Phatbox is miles ahead of a plug in Ipod system. Been there done that, the Phatbox is simply 1000x better. But if it doesn't work, then it doesn't work and Ipod it is for you.

Maybe it's just me, but im against things you have to charge up and fiddle around with wires inside a car.
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 04:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
If not confused, please enlighten me, as I'd like to listen to my stupid-looking Ipod in the Boxster, instead of having to take the bus every day with those annoying teenagers.
Dude,

You crack me up...I can't wait to plug in my stupid looking IPOD too! Maybe we should have a "plugging in your stupid IPOD" party. Jeph can bring the bottle caps and Randall can bring Knight Rider. Maybe we should invite a few annoying teenagers? What say you SD?

By the way, I fly into San Diego International quite often and get food at Anthony's Fischette by the beach. I love the swordfish nuggets.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

Old 04-10-2006, 07:53 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to bhduxbury
how's that phatbox (PHAT!) working out for you on the airplane? or on in the hotel room? or in the rental car? or on public transport? or at your friend's house? or on a walk or jog or at the gym? does it play the video from your latest track event so you can instantly show the guys at the bar or your extended family on a visit -- because you "just happen to have it" in your car or in your pocket? does it keep your contacts and calendar synced? what about your pictures? does it hook up to a tv, too, and do all of the above spur-of-the-moment style? and i'm sure it all is as easily organized and seamlessly integrated into your life with wide-ranging content as itunes and the itunes music store can make it. 40 whole gigs. wow. how much did it cost again?

// end of ipod-inspired rant -- no offense -- you obviously love your car solution.

Last edited by bhduxbury; 04-10-2006 at 08:03 PM.
bhduxbury is offline   Reply With Quote