Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2015, 07:30 AM   #1

When to shift gears (don't laugh, it's on a Tiptronic)?

Never driven a manual or a Tip before and have been playing around with it on manual mode in my new Boxster but am not sure when I am supposed to shift. I like getting the revs up to 6k in 2nd gear, for example, but am wondering if that is bad.

Where should the revs generally be? Should they only be at over, say, 4k for just a few seconds? Is staying in 2nd for a good bit of time bad since I like the revs to be at 4k or more? Totally clueless. This is for driving on flat, city roads btw not a track.

Last edited by new2bxstr; 03-10-2015 at 07:37 AM.
new2bxstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:41 AM   #2

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Let the engine warm up, I usually wait until 180 on the temp gauge. After that it's just what you want your fuel economy to be, usually I shift at 3.5 -4k spirited driving at 6k and if there is a mustang or jap crap around redline
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:42 AM   #3

Awesome thanks!
new2bxstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:44 AM   #4

Garage
Completely depends on how you are trying to drive it. If you are doing some "spirited" or "aggressive" driving, then taking it through the Rev range will reward you with the powe you have available. Under normal driving conditions... I've read.. that while the engine is under normal operating temp (temp Guage reads 180) it's advised that you keep your RPM'S under 2,000, and after the engine is at normal operating temp, to keep it around 2,500 while moving (not at stop lights ). From personal experience, my car seems to run better, and even idle better if I have some spirited driving during my drives. I wouldn't suggest over revving or intentionally doing harm, but some fun is always ok!
Redboxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:44 AM   #5
Registered Boxster abuser

Pay attention to what the tip shifts at when in automatic mode. Then when in manual mode adjust the shifts to your driving style at the time.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:10 AM   #6

Garage
Drive it like you stole it... the car is built for performance - if not trade it in for a Corolla.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:19 AM   #7

Garage
The good thing about "M" mode on a Tip is you can't over rev it as it will shift into the next gear at red line. My '99 has the LN IMS bearing and LN recommends keeping revs up above 2K RPM even when cold. I usually shift, depending on conditions, around 2.4K-2.6K RPM until the car is warmed up, then depending on road conditions and situation, will take it all the way. I've tracked my car several times and drag raced it at Sears Point and never done damage to either trans or motor. The car was made to drive hard and doing so with a Tip is much safer than using a stick where you can over rev and cause damage.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:27 AM   #8
Artist, 986S tinkerer

If you put the Durametric on a tip you will notice that there are NO over revs, simply because, even in manual mode, the transmission will shift up automatically when it gets up to the red line (maybe slightly before?). It will also automatically shift into 2nd gear if you come to a stop, even in manual mode. See? It's idiot proof! (lucky for me )
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:16 PM   #9

Your variocam kicks in at 4200 RPM, so that's where the power is poured on and you get the most torque. Over 6,000 RPM the power increase is minimal. So, after you warm up the motor and you want to drive it hard, staying between these ranges will give you the most performance from the motor.

I like to think taking the motor into the 6000 rpm range each time you drive it does an excellent job of lubricating the inner most parts of the motor. My mechanic says it will shorten engine life a bit, but not revving it up will shorten engine life much faster.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:43 PM   #10

Garage
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:21 PM   #11

When cops aren't around. Loud noises attract unwanted attention.

When you seem to be bogging down on a hill, downshift. Early Boxster TIPs couldn't downshift unless in manual. After I think 2000, you could downshift without touching the gearshift knob. Best thing about my second box was this feature. I had some twisting up and down hills stretches I could use on the way home from work and that is where I did probably 90% of my shifting. Most of the time I let the TIP choose.

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote