986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ultimate radio reception fix? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56209)

PaulDash 03-09-2015 02:42 PM

Ultimate radio reception fix?

My radio reception has always been horrible. Doesn't matter if it's AM or FM. Doesn't matter if it was the stock CD-22 or the Becker Indianapolis Pro that I put in to keep the stock look and have a Bluetooth phone hookup.

This month, the Box is going to get some new Alcantara upholstery (separate thread coming soon). This means taking apart the entire dash, A-pillars, et cetera.

My car has option code 618 - Preparation for telephone installation. I'll obviously never be putting in a 15-year old Nokia GSM module in there, but I do have a little antenna sticking up from the top of my windshield frame. Here's what I'm thinking...

Would it be possible to replace the little GSM antenna with a FM radio antenna and connect that to the antenna amplifier? Should this improve reception? Will there be any problems with interference with other cabling going up the A-pillars? Finally, will I ruin my resale value because I've effectively removed option 618? ;)

Looking forward to all constructive feedback.

I'll post photos and write-up of the project if I do decide to go forward with it.

PaulDash 03-11-2015 04:01 AM

Bump. Almost a hundred of you read this post already.

Can anyone help?

Pdwight 03-11-2015 04:38 AM

Not sure about resale value

I spent a few years doing UHF and VHF Radio service way back in the 80's. Any antenna is just a wire or conductor, the problem with cars is they are large metal boxes as far as RF goes. Any antenna that you can get outside is going to be an improvement. I am curious why you have bad reception now ? My S has what I consider good reception, try checking you antenna lead for continuity...willing to bet there is an open circuit somewhere.

mump 03-11-2015 05:00 AM

if you figure it out, please post your fix. my reception is awful too.

brjak 03-11-2015 09:39 AM

I had horrible AM reception. (97 Boxster). Took to a radio place, they installed a "am signal booster" $40.00 CDN. reception is better, but not great.

Smallblock454 03-11-2015 09:49 AM

Take a normal FM rod antenna (hope that's the right term). Maybe this won't look beautiful on the car, but will be much better than any electronic amplified "short crap antenna".

M4SGK1986 03-11-2015 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brjak (Post 439832)
I had horrible AM reception. (97 Boxster). Took to a radio place, they installed a "am signal booster" $40.00 CDN. reception is better, but not great.

Does anyone know if you can get a booster for the PCM 2 unit? i also struggle with poor reception usually on FM. very crackly and its worse when the wipers are on!

brjak 03-11-2015 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M4SGK1986 (Post 439836)
Does anyone know if you can get a booster for the PCM 2 unit? i also struggle with poor reception usually on FM. very crackly and its worse when the wipers are on!

It simply plugged into the antenna hole, than the antenna plugged into it. real simple, it can work with any radio.

PaulDash 04-02-2015 01:48 AM

Simple fix

In the end, I didn't convert the GSM antenna to FM, although I'm still thinking of removing it.

The fix for the radio reception was simple - it turned out that my windshield antenna was not connected (and I think there was a problem with the wire), so a new antenna (a length of wire) was glued horizontally under the front right dash cover trim. It works beautifully.