Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2015, 08:22 AM   #1

New Owner. What would you do?

As it says, I am a new owner of a 2003 boxster with 112,000 miles on it. I have been doing research on this site while shopping, and I appreciate all the info that you guys or girls have supplied here. The runs good, and I am wondering, if you just bought a 2003 with 112,000 miles on it, what would be some of the first things you would do to it. I'm talking in a maintenance or performance type thing. Thanks for all your help in adavance!

noot98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:25 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by noot98 View Post
As it says, I am a new owner of a 2003 boxster with 112,000 miles on it. I have been doing research on this site while shopping, and I appreciate all the info that you guys or girls have supplied here. The runs good, and I am wondering, if you just bought a 2003 with 112,000 miles on it, what would be some of the first things you would do to it. I'm talking in a maintenance or performance type thing. Thanks for all your help in adavance!
First thing is to make sure the IMS bearing has been done! Secondly, get yourself a short shifter and an exhaust. Thirdly, upset your neighbors when warming up your car.
ルーカス is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:40 AM   #3

Did you do a PPI on it before taking possession? If not, go get one now. That will tell you a lot about what you need to do. That's a lot of miles and a 12 year old car, so I'm sure there are lots of things that could be done. Motor mount, CVs, transmission flush, coolant flush/fix, AOS,....the list is huge of things you could do.

Obviously then the IMS is a big question mark. If it hasn't been done, that is certainly something to consider.

I would highly recommend getting your name on the list for a skybreaker, as it's just wicked cool and all Box's should have one.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:57 AM   #4

If you think about doing a coolant flush, also consider changing your termostat, as well as your coolant resevoir.
cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post

I would highly recommend getting your name on the list for a skybreaker, as it's just wicked cool and all Box's should have one.
Sorry not trying to hijack thread. But, as a new owner as well, Can you please explain Skybreaker?
Old 03-18-2015, 03:08 PM   #6

Assuming you have no maintenance history and no PPI.

Replace oil, inspect oil filter.
Clean radiators, a/c radiators.
Water pump replace with OEM.
Check brake pad wear.
Change brake fluid.
Measure tread depth. Check tire dates. Check wear for signs of misalignment.
Consider paying a Porsche expert an hour or so to look at the car and give his opinions.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ルーカス View Post
First thing is to make sure the IMS bearing has been done! Secondly, get yourself a short shifter and an exhaust. Thirdly, upset your neighbors when warming up your car.
Ims was replaced. Are u talking about headers? Or muffler? What exactly about the exhaust should be changed? Thanks!
Old 03-18-2015, 04:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
Assuming you have no maintenance history and no PPI.

Replace oil, inspect oil filter.
Clean radiators, a/c radiators.
Water pump replace with OEM.
Check brake pad wear.
Change brake fluid.
Measure tread depth. Check tire dates. Check wear for signs of misalignment.
Consider paying a Porsche expert an hour or so to look at the car and give his opinions.
Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
If you think about doing a coolant flush, also consider changing your termostat, as well as your coolant resevoir.
Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
Did you do a PPI on it before taking possession? If not, go get one now. That will tell you a lot about what you need to do. That's a lot of miles and a 12 year old car, so I'm sure there are lots of things that could be done. Motor mount, CVs, transmission flush, coolant flush/fix, AOS,....the list is huge of things you could do.

Obviously then the IMS is a big question mark. If it hasn't been done, that is certainly something to consider.

Ims done, no ppi, what is skybreaker?
Old 03-18-2015, 04:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brjak View Post
Sorry not trying to hijack thread. But, as a new owner as well, Can you please explain Skybreaker?
http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/54705-porsche-wind-deflector-edge-lighting-[-cad-prototyping-finish]-22.html

I just think it's one of the coolest....things....ever. IMO.

Edit - for some reason the link won't work, so do a search for skybreaker and you will see it. Way cool wind deflector.

Last edited by Giller; 03-18-2015 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Bad link
Giller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ルーカス View Post
THIS! I did a 997 shifter, Circuit Werks secondary cat bypass pipes, and Beluga Racing exhaust - all in for less than $600 off eBay.

And seriously, the biggest refresh I've done on this car is the motor mount - took years off the ride and handling. Used Pedro's TechnoMount, gives you $50 back for your old core.

Most importantly, drive the heck out of it.
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:09 PM   #11
Certified Boxster Addict

I'd change the oil and filter. Then drive the crap out of it. Everything else can wait.

Later when you don't want to go out and drive because you have 4 speeding tickets, then do a 60K mile major service so you have a good maintenance starting point.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote