986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   03 - how loud should the door speakers be? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56162)

bobs_boxster 03-07-2015 06:02 PM

03 - how loud should the door speakers be?

New to me 03 S and my first porsche.

I'm curious how much sound should be coming from the door speakers?

With the (stock) radio tuned to full rear on the fader I don't get any treble and not a lot of sound at all.

Looking for some feedback on if others have more sound from the door speakers.

thanks,
bob

Meir 03-07-2015 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobs_boxster (Post 439324)
New to me 03 S and my first porsche.

I'm curious how much sound should be coming from the door speakers?

With the (stock) radio tuned to full rear on the fader I don't get any treble and not a lot of sound at all.

Looking for some feedback on if others have more sound from the door speakers.

thanks,
bob

The doors speakers are actually 6" woofer, so they play only low range.

newBgeek 03-07-2015 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meir (Post 439328)
The doors speakers are actually 6" woofer, so they play only low range.

Actually 5 1/4" "subwoofer", LOL.

Smallblock454 03-07-2015 11:49 PM

Q: which sound system do you have?
Sound package?
Bose sound system?
And which head unit do you have: CDR 23, or PCM 2?

The fader works different on that systems. I personally have the sound package with CDR 23 which has 16 cm speakers in each door and 10 cm mid speakers and tweeters in the dashboard.

The Bose system has an additional subwoofer and midrange speakers in the back. Also it has a different amplifier.

There is also a standard system which has only speakers in the dash.

I prefer to use the fader to add a little more bass to the music. There is not too much hearable music coming out of the door speakers. They are designed to be sub woofers. The stage should be on the height of the dash, not on the heigth of your knees. ;)

I have modified my sound package system by addidng an individual 6dB / octave crossover to the mid speakers and tweeters, because the mid speakers in the dash tend to sound a little bit agressive because of windscreen reflections and the stock electrolyt condensator for the tweeters is just cheap crap. So it sounds a lot better now, because i've cut freqencies around -6 dB at around 1.500 Khz for both mid speaker and tweeter.

Regards from germany
Markus

DavidsBoxster 03-08-2015 02:57 PM

I just swapped out the door and dash speakers with Infinities on my 2000 Base which has the 4 speaker system. Tomorrow the new double din HU from Crutchfield should be here. Just for kicks I cranked it up with just the door speakers in and what a disappointment. Not much comes out either but sounds better then the oem speakers. After I installed the dash speakers it sounded so much better. With that said, should I switch out the factory amp with a decent 4 channel amp and how much better will it sound?

bobs_boxster 03-08-2015 06:41 PM

Thanks for all the replies. As far as I know the radio is a factory unit and I do get base out of the doors, just not a lot. That's fine though since the engine sounds really nice.

thanks all,
bob

JayG 03-08-2015 06:59 PM

add the rear speakers, they make the most difference

DavidsBoxster 03-09-2015 06:13 PM

Hey Bob, I am picking up an amp on Thursday and installing this weekend. Will let you know if it makes a big difference.

JayG, thanks for the heads up. I am looking in to getting those next. Do you have a preference on where to get the rear speaker setup?

newBgeek 03-10-2015 10:25 AM

I'm in the process of upgrading my door speakers to a 6 1/2" component set and did a sound test with one of the stock woofers still in the door with one of the component tweeters. Surprise! The stock woofers actually sound really good with very good bass. It has a fairly large magnet for such a small speaker which helps it alot.

I could have saved myself some cash by just buying just the tweeters and saved myself a ton of work!

schnellman 03-10-2015 11:57 AM

Imho

I prefer 0 Db. The flat six symphony is far more entertaining.