Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2006, 09:06 AM   #1

Best place for amp

I am going to have an amp installed in my '02 S to improve sound quality and would like to know what the consensus is on the best place to place the amp. Thanks!

VS1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:28 AM   #2

Front trunk is where the factory amp goes..
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:10 AM   #3

the best advice i can give is to pick lightweight components and do not add weight to places that did not have weight. in my first boxster i put subs in the doors. it was a very nice custom job. it looked stock too, but after new mdf baffles and dynamat went in the doors it was way too heavy. the car is very sensitive to extra weight in strange places. i also had a big amp mounted on the front trunk floor in front of the spare tire. this was bad too.

go with the lightest smallest amp you can and put it where the factory did. better yet just live with your crappy stereo. trust me. i went through a couple different stereo designes and none are perfect. if you must install an amp, replace the dash speakers and make sure those little subs in the doors dont get any more than 50 watts. changing the door speakers is not worth it, cause you will have to build a baffle in the door to replace the little plastic ported box that porsche has in the doors. no aftermarket speaker is gonna sound really good in that little enclosure. the after market speaker will be designed to work in a larger area like a door. that means building a baffle and dynamat.

Finallygottaporsche is offline   Reply With Quote