Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2015, 09:57 AM   #1

Porsche: Oil Change intervals

This link is still up for maintenance intervals on Porsche.com, it was last updated in 2010.

For m96 engines they recommend 2001-2004 Boxsters (assume its intent is to address single row IMS?) oil to be changed every 12,000 miles or every 2 years.

For m97 engines they recommend these 2005-2007 engines have their oil changed every 20,000 miles or every 2 years (???)

For 2008 engines (last year of m97) they bring it back down to 12,000 miles BUT they want the oil changed at least annually for the first time.

For 2009 engines (no IMS), they cut the oil change to 10,000 miles but want it changed every year.

Huh???
You would think Porsche would be doing its buddies at Mobil 1 a solid (= $$$$) by halving these interval recommendations. But no....
How can the factory and just about every expert and enthusiast community be at such opposite ends?

p.s.
This is not a discussion of your favorite oil, your favorite filter, why the other guy's oil sucks, etc. Simply trying to understand Porsche's position here.

Attached Images

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-04-2015 at 10:56 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:05 AM   #2

Garage
The older cars were likely all out of warranty in 2010, so they don't really care if you change the oil. They can sell more Porsche replacement parts that way.

For the newer models in which they still might have some liability to cover parts/labor, well you best be changing your oil frequently, or we'll void that warranty too.

The updated 2016 chart will probably have "At your leisure" listed for the M96 intervals.
tomonomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonomics View Post
The older cars were likely all out of warranty in 2010, so they don't really care if you change the oil. They can sell more Porsche replacement parts that way.

For the newer models in which they still might have some liability to cover parts/labor, well you best be changing your oil frequently, or we'll void that warranty too.

The updated 2016 chart will probably have "At your leisure" listed for the M96 intervals.
Wait a minute... if more Porsches suffer engine failure, then there are no more trips to the Porsche dealer parts desk and no more future appointments for jacked up oil change bills.
Maybe Porsche and LA Dismantlers have some hush hush deal on the side? (kidding).

These water-cooled engines aren't all kicking the bucket at 100K miles. Some forum members here like Floridabill who apparently follows strict dealer service, are well into the 300K mileage territory.
The water-cooled engines do not require engine rebuilds as a regular part of this ~80K-200K mileage which seems like a way for Porsche to keep selling parts and scheduling service for Boxster/996 fleet.
Especially if the cars still look great on the outside.

If Porsche have determined that the used buyer in a good % (whatever that number may be) will not consider a brand new or CPO Porsche, and their only way to bring in revenue for these drivers is to sell them parts/service wouldn't they have an incentive to keep the engines properly lubricated?

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-04-2015 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:55 AM   #4

Garage
Personally. I have always thought that oil is cheap compared to engines, especially Porsche engines. I change mine every 5K and while it doesn't look terrible, it does look like it is due to be changed. It may not be necessary, but it certainly makes me feel better.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Personally. I have always thought that oil is cheap compared to engines, especially Porsche engines. I change mine every 5K and while it doesn't look terrible, it does look like it is due to be changed. It may not be necessary, but it certainly makes me feel better.
helps your fuel economy too.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:31 AM   #6

Long oil change intervals, along with "permanent" automatic transmission fluid have to do with European environmental restrictions - not engine duration (think carbon foot print).

I read a good link about it when I was changing the transmission valve body in our Touareg. No way in hell does auto trans fluid go forever. By claiming the fluids don't need to be changed, it allows them to pollute more in other ways and get a pass.

I'll see if I can find a credible source.
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:40 PM   #7
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
With my prior VWs, I did 10k service intervals without any fuss.

However, with the Porsche I do 5k intervals.

2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote