986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Used porsche car parts off ebay (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56036)

myn8m3is8ndy 02-28-2015 11:55 PM

Used porsche car parts off ebay

Would you trust used parts off ebay?? like a pair of rear axles??

jacabean 03-01-2015 05:12 AM

i buy lots of used porsche parts on ebay . The best used dealer in my opinion is Quality Porsche Parts .

Chuck W. 03-01-2015 05:57 AM

It depends on the seller. Some, no way. Others, like Quality Porsche Parts that jacabean mentioned, are first class.

jdraupp 03-01-2015 06:18 AM

Replaced my starter with a 50 dollar salvage part off of an 08 cayman. Zero issues. A heck of a lot cheaper.

CraigM 03-01-2015 06:57 AM

I agree it depends on the seller, and also on quality pics of the specific item. But I would not avoid a part just because it is on eBay. Haven't bought a ton of used parts, but yet to be disappointed.

thstone 03-01-2015 07:13 AM

I buy used parts from eBay and from a local dismantler (not LA Dismantler, they are silly expensive) and have always had a good experience.

For me, new or used depends on the price differential between new/used and whether I can live with something like half of the expected life compared with a new part.

KRAM36 03-01-2015 07:40 AM

Yeah, Quality Porsche Parts is top notch. Got two Air Intake Boxes and a set of coil packs from them. All in perfect condition, shipped quick and packaged very well. You get what you see in the pictures with those guys.

Don't think I would purchase any used suspension parts though.

Luv2Box 03-01-2015 08:55 AM

Quality and Oklahoma Dismantlers are both good.

KRAM36 03-01-2015 09:03 AM

My turn signal broke, so I went on the hunt for a replacement and ended up buying a 4 stalk from this seller. Perfect condition and functions 100%. I have a Durametric, so I could turn on the 4th stalk operation. Also got the wire harness to connect it from forum member Pdwight.

Porsche 996 99 05 986 Boxster 97 04 4 Stalk Combination Turn Signal Unit | eBay

mnc-i 03-01-2015 11:38 AM

myn8m3is8ndy,

Whether you are buying off ebay, craigslist or a salvage yard: it all comes down to due diligence on your part.

Two days ago I responded to a guy parting out a Boxster in the Dallas/Ft Worth area. He quoted me $75 for a 3-spoke Tiptronic steering wheel w/airbag.

I took the bait and scheduled a visit with the seller for the next day, but had to postpone it another day due to snow/freezing rain/icy roads and a winter storm advisory.

Before I got in my car to travel up to Dallas/Ft Worth, I received an email from the seller stating he forgot he had already promised the steering wheel to someone else who was paying via paypal.

I don't know if the seller discovered he could get more than $75.00 for the parts or if the other guy needed the part more than me, but you have to be careful...Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

MNC-I

mountainman 03-01-2015 11:41 AM

I have also had pretty good experiences with used parts off ebay. I do try to buy low milage parts when it can be determined and from reliable sellers. Another big consideration for me is the difficulty involved in replacing it if it did turn out to be bad. Some jobs are so labor intensive that it just doesn't make sense to take a chance on a used part. Unfortunately you can even get a defective new part.

rfuerst911sc 03-01-2015 11:47 AM

I'm pretty sure your car is driving around with used parts in it :D

KRAM36 03-01-2015 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman (Post 438342)
I have also had pretty good experiences with used parts off ebay. I do try to buy low milage parts when it can be determined and from reliable sellers. Another big consideration for me is the difficulty involved in replacing it if it did turn out to be bad. Some jobs are so labor intensive that it just doesn't make sense to take a chance on a used part. Unfortunately you can even get a defective new part.

No truer words have been spoken. If it's a labor intensive job, don't take the chance. My starter was making the embarrassing squeal noise so I bought a new starter vs doing a lube job on the current starter and having it do the same thing a few months later. This is not a job I want to do again anytime soon.

woodsman 03-02-2015 12:30 PM

Jeez after 5 years of ownership my Boxster had so many new parts on it that it smelled new! It was my cherished possession. I was only concerned about finding the very best replacement part I could find ( almost always a Porsche part IMHO). I thought I'd keep it forever but...Now I'm going to fork out twice as much on something else Porsche. Used parts? Not unless I'm planning on selling it soon. I see junkyards as goldmines just not for my P-car!

BYprodriver 03-02-2015 01:32 PM

I have bought many Porsche parts from E-bay & returned 4 or 5 that were not as described. If you buy thru Paypal you have good leverage.