Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2006, 01:03 PM   #1

Genuine Porsche Parts vs. After-Market...

Im new to this whole porsche thing having just purchased my 2001 boxster a few months ago. I would like to purchase an oil filter, cabin filter, and new engine air filter as part of getting the car ready for spring. I have priced the parts out at porsche but I have also looked on ebay where the prices appear very tempting for after-market stuff. It seems like "Mahle" brand parts keep popping up and some of the ads are claiming that they are OEM....just wondering who does make these filters for Porsche and is this aftermarket stuff worth getting. Additionally, if anyone could comment on aftermarket brake pads and rotors and whether or not this stuff is any good as well.

Thanks in advance for the info!

Jeff.

jeff740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 01:18 PM   #2
bmussatti

Jeff:

Go to these sources for your Porsche parts:

1) our sponsor www.986online.com

2) www.sunsetporsche.com

3) www.suncoastporsche.com

You will save big buck vs. the local dealerships!
Old 04-04-2006, 01:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff740
Im new to this whole porsche thing having just purchased my 2001 boxster a few months ago. I would like to purchase an oil filter, cabin filter, and new engine air filter as part of getting the car ready for spring. I have priced the parts out at porsche but I have also looked on ebay where the prices appear very tempting for after-market stuff. It seems like "Mahle" brand parts keep popping up and some of the ads are claiming that they are OEM....just wondering who does make these filters for Porsche and is this aftermarket stuff worth getting. Additionally, if anyone could comment on aftermarket brake pads and rotors and whether or not this stuff is any good as well.

Thanks in advance for the info!

Jeff.
Hi,

Mahle is the OEM supplier to Porsche. Bosch and Meyle make most of the electrical/switch components, etc. Others are Audi, Sandia, Beru, etc.

There is no Hard and Fast rule on OEM vs AfterMarket. On some things, AfterMarket is just fine and usually less $$$. But, OEM Parts (from a Dealer) generally carry a two year warrantee (but costs more $$) against defects. Sometimes (such as Drivetrain, suspension parts) this is good insurance. On other items, it's not so important - how many defective Brake Pads, or Washer Fluid, Wiper Blades, Bulbs, etc. have you heard of?

Also, there's AfterMarket and there's AfterMarket. Brake Pads from Mintex, Porterfield or other recognized manufacturers such as Bilstein, Wilwood, Dansk and others have their own Quality Control standards, but maybe not so for Joe's Brake Pads - one to be avoided.

Sometimes it can bring headaches larger than the savings, but it makes sense to save a buck where you can, and only buy OEM where this is important. This is especially true when you factor in the Car's naturally high depreciation. You only know by asking and researching. And again, this universe is evolving, new AfterMarket manufacturers and products are being offered all the time, some good, some not worth your time. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 03:58 PM   #4

JIm, you have for the most part answered my question. It seems wise to order necessary parts from the dealership when a 2 year warranty seems like a good idea but in the case of the filters is this really necessary?? I actually purchased an oil filter from the dealer recently and as I looked at it I wondered how different is it than ones advertised on 986.com or ebay. What I think I am trying to get at is that whether or not Porsche purchases the Mahle filters and then places them in genuine porsche parts boxes and I end up paying a premium for that little cardboard box. I did visit 986.com and they have the filters for about $8 bucks cheaper than what I paid at the dealer but am I getting the same quality of filter?? Same thing with the air filter...is the air filter that I buy from the dealership simply a Mahle filter in a Porsche box??? I figured that porsche probably isnt in the business of making air filters so they must be supplied by some outside source.

Thanks.

Jeff.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff740
JIm, you have for the most part answered my question. It seems wise to order necessary parts from the dealership when a 2 year warranty seems like a good idea but in the case of the filters is this really necessary?? I actually purchased an oil filter from the dealer recently and as I looked at it I wondered how different is it than ones advertised on 986.com or ebay. What I think I am trying to get at is that whether or not Porsche purchases the Mahle filters and then places them in genuine porsche parts boxes and I end up paying a premium for that little cardboard box. I did visit 986.com and they have the filters for about $8 bucks cheaper than what I paid at the dealer but am I getting the same quality of filter?? Same thing with the air filter...is the air filter that I buy from the dealership simply a Mahle filter in a Porsche box??? I figured that porsche probably isnt in the business of making air filters so they must be supplied by some outside source.

Thanks.

Jeff.
Hi,

I should have been more clear. The answer is YES. The Oil and Air filters sold at the Dealership are merely Mahle Filters in proprietary packaging. It's the same as their own Boxster specific part. Hope this helps... Jim'99
Old 04-05-2006, 03:51 PM   #6

Thanks Jim! Thats the answer I was hoping for. I was a little concerned that the Mahle filters might have not been as good as the Genuine Porsche Brand filters but seeing as how they are the same....I think I'll just keep the savings in my pocket and leave the Porsche box for someone else.

Additionally, you wouldnt happen to know who is the OEM for the brake pads and rotors or will any of the more well known brands be sufficient??

Thanks.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:12 PM   #7

brake pads are Galfer up front and Textar in back. rotors are Zimmerman.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by insite
brake pads are Galfer up front and Textar in back. rotors are Zimmerman.

Hi,

Actually a variety have been used. These vary from Galfer, Textar, Pagid for OEM and Brembo for the High-friction Pad option...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
Old 04-06-2006, 04:01 AM   #9

brembo i'd seen. didn't realize they used Pagid as OEM at times...

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 06:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Jeff:

Go to these sources for your Porsche parts:

1) our sponsor www.986online.com

2) www.sunsetporsche.com

3) www.suncoastporsche.com

You will save big buck vs. the local dealerships!
Please also do not forget us - also a sponsor - as we have both Genuine Porsche parts and aftermarket parts for both 986 and 987, and serve only Boxsters.

http://www.epiqautosport.com

Most of the factory parts like filters, spark plugs, brake pads, etc. are made by other companies, and you can buy them either as an OEM branded part (like the brake pads) or the same thing from the manufacturer in the manufacturer's box and save probably 20% on it.

2005 Boxster S - Atlas Grey/Black, PASM, Sport Chrono, Bose
2006 Infiniti M35 Sport
2007 Cadillac Escalade (tow vehicle with bling)

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

http://www.epiqautosport.com/images/epiqtoddavatar2.jpg
EPIQTodd is offline   Reply With Quote