Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2015, 04:54 PM   #1

Garage
Are parts going to get harder to come by

Last fall I decided to start buying parts to replace key front suspension components. At the time I just bought and there was no issues with inventory
- Tie rod inners/outers
- drop links
- Sway bar bushings

I wanted to replace with TRW parts
I did replaced the Sway bar items as no alignment was needed for them
Last thing I needed were the (2) lower Control Arms. I started late November scouring the innerweb looking or someone that had them (TRW) in stock at a normal price ($437.00 for one Genuine Porsche Lower control arm - come on)
Last week someone had them stock,I put order in for (2). One shipped the other went on extend back order
I found another supplier that had them in stock, cancelled back order and ordered the second one. It arrived today. I'm am such a geek that I got so exceeded I finally have them (There is something wrong with me

There where knock offs available but not the TRW brand. Is this going to start becoming more common place where original mfg parts are going to get more difficult to buy?
This exercise did introduce me to other suppliers out there. It takes a little more effort to find suppliers for certain parts

Old 02-23-2015, 05:19 PM   #2

Garage
According to Porsche the 986 Boxster model 1997-2004 is now a "classic" which means that Porsche will supply OEM parts until there is no more Porsche. You may not find the parts through third party sources but you will be able to buy genuine from Porsche.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:23 PM   #3
I am my own mechanic....

Atlanta Auto
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:44 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Atlanta Auto
That was first source that shipped 1 but backordered 2nd

I hear that porsche will supply genuine Porsche parts
That is great and very profitable for them
TRW lower control porsche $430. Private same part $180-$200

Those considering buying used porsche to DIY maitain and fix, its going to get more expensive to do

Hopefully the free market system will continue to recognize this and take advantage and sell original mfg parts at more competitive $$
As long as to mfg will sell to them. That's my concern that the mfg may start limiting how much trickles down to those 3rd party distributors
Old 02-24-2015, 05:18 AM   #5

Sunset Imports in Oregon sells genuine Porsche parts for 10% over hard cost to people calling in and shipping out of Oregon. Give them a call and check prices.

Walk into the dealership and go to the parts counter, however, and you'll get your head ripped off like every other stealership in the nation.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:24 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
Sunset Imports in Oregon sells genuine Porsche parts for 10% over hard cost to people calling in and shipping out of Oregon. Give them a call and check prices.

Walk into the dealership and go to the parts counter, however, and you'll get your head ripped off like every other stealership in the nation.
I think it depends on the dealership and whether or not they give a PCA discount. I routinely bought parts from Sonnen Porsche in Mill Vally because they would compete with Suncoast and Sunset on parts. When I bought my ROW suspension Suncoast wanted $1160+$50 to ship. Sonnen got it for me for $960 and with local tax I saved $80. Many Porsche owners shy away from local dealers because they think they will always gouge them but developing a good relationship with a dealer and using them as another resource for parts and maintenance is not always a bad thing, at the most it will cost you a phone call to check prices.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:25 AM   #7

Quote:

I agree, Sunset Porsche is my go to place for new OEM parts. They have just launched a web site for on line ordering. The shipping cost are high but both times I ordered through the site they shipped for substantially less and refunded money. Great place.

Genuine OEM Porsche Parts | PorschePartsHub.com

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:45 AM   #8

Those of us north of the 49th are still SOL when it comes to buying from Sunset:

"We do not ship internationally."
Old 02-24-2015, 06:58 AM   #9

Porsche germany has stopped inventory holding for 986 parts in 2014. So they have to order them from supplier now if you need something. That means that parts can't be delievered if the supplier doesn't exist no longer, or the supplier doesn't supply the part no longer. Also it means that parts are much pricier now. Some prices increased up to 50%.

Don't know if Porsche USA has stopped inventory holding for 986 parts too.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:01 AM   #10

Is there a sufficient quantity of the cars for the same sort of aftermarket to develop as did for the air cooled 911s?
Old 02-24-2015, 08:16 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Box View Post
I think it depends on the dealership and whether or not they give a PCA discount. I routinely bought parts from Sonnen Porsche in Mill Vally because they would compete with Suncoast and Sunset on parts. When I bought my ROW suspension Suncoast wanted $1160+$50 to ship. Sonnen got it for me for $960 and with local tax I saved $80. Many Porsche owners shy away from local dealers because they think they will always gouge them but developing a good relationship with a dealer and using them as another resource for parts and maintenance is not always a bad thing, at the most it will cost you a phone call to check prices.
You're lucky you have many Porsche dealerships within a small area competing with each other. Where I live, there is only one Porsche dealership within 120 miles, and they routinely charge 5-10% over full retail price for everything. No discounts, no budging on price. You don't like it, they firmly tell you to leave.
desert_porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:16 AM   #12

If these prices get anymore expensive then a well-maintained Boxster will hold decent value.
Nobody wants to buy a fixer upper when the restoration will only make money for the shop doing the work.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:56 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_porsche View Post
You're lucky you have many Porsche dealerships within a small area competing with each other. Where I live, there is only one Porsche dealership within 120 miles, and they routinely charge 5-10% over full retail price for everything. No discounts, no budging on price. You don't like it, they firmly tell you to leave.
What is the dealership so we all know to take our business elsewhere?
Old 02-24-2015, 05:12 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Box View Post
What is the dealership so we all know to take our business elsewhere?
Get to know your dealer's parts people. Why would they want to give you a break on anything if you show up once a year. They don't know you. Some portion of every repair comes from my local dealer. All my track inspections are done at the dealer. In the end I rarely pay full price for any Porsche part, and in many instances pay the same or less than aftermarket.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:03 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:

Not necessarily true. I live in Portland and buy parts from Sunset occasionally. They have always given me the discount, and will mail the part to me if they don't have it in stock. I have always found the parts staff to be very helpful and friendly (the sales staff can be a different story if you're not buying NEW)
Old 02-24-2015, 10:10 PM   #16
2002 Boxster S

Garage
You would think that the "classic" designation would mean that parts are available, but that's not always the case. I needed the 2nd gear/synchro rebuild kit and there are none to be had. Anywhere in the world, according to Porsche AG.

My indie finally located one in someone's parts stock, but it took him almost a month to find it. So, I'm not impressed yet with our cars being "classics". You may still have problems getting certain parts.