Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2015, 05:47 AM   #1

Did anyone notice these pics posted over on planet-9?

981 Boxster Spyder first pics

I had read of several reports of a possible boxster GT4 prototype that was photographed testing (which doesn't make as much sense to me as a spyder variant would) but this is the first semi-official news I have heard of the return of the spyder. It would be really sweet if the car got the same basic mechanicals as the GT4 but with the spyder body treatment.

papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:05 AM   #2

Garage
I saw that over on Jalop. I'm a big fan of the 987 Spyder, but not sure I want to see that tent-top again. Something shaped more like a Cayman Targa would be cool...like a little 918.
tomonomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonomics View Post
I saw that over on Jalop. I'm a big fan of the 987 Spyder, but not sure I want to see that tent-top again. Something shaped more like a Cayman Targa would be cool...like a little 918.
Sounds like you were right. Porsche is rumored to be putting the kibosh on a 991S engine in the Boxster.
That fact that we are now seeing the camping tent top on the 981 reinforces the rumor that the Spyder will be as fast as they will allow a Boxster to become. Too bad... a PDK "RS-light" Boxster with 385 HP would be a lethal combination. And real GT3 dry sump engine would be a rear engine's nightmare.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 02-14-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote