986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Rookie Question (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55605)

Ryan986 01-29-2015 06:21 AM

Rookie Question

03 boxster S front trunk will not close. Just stays "popped". is there a trick to this? Its my first boxster and im sure im doing something wrong.

BRAN 01-29-2015 06:38 AM

hmmm...use the force, Luke

I guess, you just need to press the trunk down a little (slight force / flat Hands) ;)

Timco 01-29-2015 06:40 AM

I only push down on the badge. Should just click down.

RandallNeighbour 01-29-2015 06:41 AM

The latch is located between the Porsche crest and the front of the hood, so don't press down on the Porsche crest... find the top of the latch and push down on that bit until you hear a click.

Lots of guys push down on the crest and end up doing damage to their hood!

tommy583 01-29-2015 06:45 AM

You should be able to just push it down until it clicks shut. Some people push down on the crest. I push down with my fingers on either side of the crest. If it still wont close it may be out of adjustment.
If this is the case you may have to turn the little black rubber stoppers on each side of the hood. They are in the front on the bottom side of the hood. They may not seem like they turn, but they do. I'm not sure if they need to be turned clockwise or counter clockwise.
The latch has some adjustment as well. But try the first two suggestions first to see if they help. :)

Perfectlap 01-29-2015 06:49 AM

make sure there isn't something in the latch or blocking it. You shouldn't need to push down too hard, it closes easily.

BruceH 01-29-2015 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timco (Post 433779)
I only push down on the badge. Should just click down.

There was an article in Excellence a while back that specifically stated to not do this. Just press below the crest to secure the hood.

Ryan986 01-29-2015 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy583 (Post 433781)
You should be able to just push it down until it clicks shut. Some people push down on the crest. I push down with my fingers on either side of the crest. If it still wont close it may be out of adjustment.
If this is the case you may have to turn the little black rubber stoppers on each side of the hood. They are in the front on the bottom side of the hood. They may not seem like they turn, but they do. I'm not sure if they need to be turned clockwise or counter clockwise.
The latch has some adjustment as well. But try the first two suggestions first to see if they help. :)

This did the job. just twisted them in clockwise, and did the firm two handed press. :cheers:

Giller 01-29-2015 08:36 AM

I've always pushed down a bit on the crest. Requires very little force - certainly not enough to do any damage.

CraigM 01-29-2015 09:09 AM

After a few years of pushing on the crest the weatherstripping around it will bulge out, but no prints on the paint. As far as I could tell it didn't do any other damage - just replace that seal. Pick your (very mild) poison.

Where you able to close it easily before, or is this the first attempt?

JayG 01-29-2015 10:59 AM

you can also break the crest by pressing down on it and they are not cheap
press below it on the metal
to keep fingerprints off the hood, keep a cloth in your pocket

Perfectlap 01-29-2015 11:52 AM

If you've ever had to replace the crest, you know not to touch it with any kind of force.
Those little prongs glued to the back of the crest are fragile. The crest can snap off and the prongs will still be bolted to the hood, which makes removal of those prongs a PITA.

BoxsterSteve 01-29-2015 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 433831)
If you've ever had to replace the crest, you know not to touch it with any kind of force.
Those little prongs glued to the back of the crest are fragile. The crest can snap off and the prongs will still be bolted to the hood, which makes removal of those prongs a PITA.

So I'm not the only one who has had to deal with removing the posts after the crest went MIA. Agree, yes it is a PITA.

CraigM 01-29-2015 05:03 PM

Geez, sounds like I got lucky just having to replace the seal.

Any update from OP?