Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2015, 02:08 PM   #1

Naturally Aspirated Cars- The Future Collector's Car?

Once Porsche (and everyone else) produces only turbo- driven cars will the NA cars be the next wave of cars to be coveted??? Are we driving the future classics that will be swooned over just as the 'air- cooled' currently are? ' I dance with the car through the pedals and shifter, all the while savouring the growing torque curve, it's sweet sound and relishing the next shift...'

Old 01-22-2015, 02:24 PM   #2

Nope. WAY too many NA cars made. They will never have any collector value, in my not so humble opinion.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:04 PM   #3
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
Nope. WAY too many NA cars made. They will never have any collector value, in my not so humble opinion.
well we all know what opinions are like...

Lots of muscle cars including Corvettes were mass produced and many of them are collector cars now.

Just because there were lots produced doesn't mean they wont be collectible at some point

I have a 04 996 Targa which is NA and they only made around 500 in 2004, might be worth something someday. In the mean time, we are gonna have fun and drive the **************** out of it. Although I do like driving my Boxster better
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:49 PM   #4

[QUOTE=san rensho;432831]Nope. WAY too many NA cars made.

But they're ( M96) dropping like flies and the few that are left (unappreciated, fragile and expensive to repair)will offer a way (analogue) of driving that is about to disappear...
Old 01-22-2015, 04:09 PM   #5

Heck - some of the toys I grew up with in the 80's are collectors items! Who knows what will or won't become a collectors item. Drive and enjoy the car as much as possible and if we luck out and they become worth something, awesome. If not, who cares - the fun we are having more than compensates!
Old 01-22-2015, 04:25 PM   #6

Garage
I have always thought it could also depend upon population growth. If there are 10 times the number of people to buy older cars, then their would be more demand. Yet, how tao know what becomes collectable. Chevelle SS and GTO's from the 70' yes, but how is demand for something like a Nova SS fom the same time?
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:44 PM   #7

I'll go with the too 'many produced' as well. I think what makes those Chevelle and other collectible so valuable is the fact that they haven't rust (completely anyway). Quite different with a car that is made fully out of aluminum, produced by 300,000+ etc...

Looking at my 18 years old Porsche today, it gives me the feeling that it will last another 82 years without worries. And so the 300,000 others out there I'm sure.

Chances are slim, but who knows lol
Old 01-22-2015, 04:45 PM   #8

Garage
Porsche have declared 986 models "classics" which currently means there will be parts available as long as Porsche is in business, meanwhile back at the ranch, prices for early 986's are falling as fast as a barrel of oil. Much of the depreciation is due to misconceptions about the IMS bearing failure rate, which is around 0.02% according to the class action lawsuit but each one that does fail is lauded as an example of poor design and or poor assembly by Porsche because they decided to change their production methods to save money and maximize profits by copying Japanese car manufacturers assembly techniques.
In reality who gives a crap, those of us who drive them, as they were meant to be driven, know what everyone else is missing.
I love the look in my passengers eyes when I put my foot in my 986 and the CAI roars as it sucks in air, the headers and Dansk exhaust start to roar like a formula 1 at 3.5K rpm, and I only brake for 911's in the twisties.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:00 PM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

I think that the 997.2 has the potential to become a somewhat-distant-future classic. The 997.2 GT-3 values are doing well and that bodes well for the slightly lesser car that it is based on.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:22 PM   #10

Garage
For the time being the 997 and particularly 987 look dated. The 986 looks more "new" than the 987 does (Amber lights aside.) I feel that the 981 will not age as well either.

We have already came to the point that 9x6 porsches are being featured in media. Taken 3 which I watched recently had a 996 hero car, and I recently watched a film called "love me" featuring an 03, 04 boxster s as driven by a highschooler simply ment to serve as a classy, tasteful, modern classic in the film. (It oddly had red dials!)
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
The 997.2 GT-3 values are doing well and that bodes well for the slightly lesser car that it is based on.
I completely disagree it bodes well for the 997. Ask yourself why the 997.2 GT3 is holding it's value?

1 - Last manual GT3. New ones are only PDK.

2 - Also, the last Porsche with a manual and a Metzger engine.

I don't believe it's a proof point that supports the OP's question.

It's the only modern Porsche that interests me.

/
Old 01-22-2015, 08:16 PM   #12

in the future ...we will all be driving Teslas and our box's will be worth 10x what they are worth now!
BTfd2e93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:18 AM   #13

Garage
In the future, it will be illegal to drive any fossil fuel car near a major metropolitan area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAvQSkK8Z8U
tomonomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:33 AM   #14

I can't say that I agree as I would gladly take a 997 or 987

over a 986 or 996. The earlier cars have a very tame looking front end and the panel gaps make them look very dated when you compare them to the later 987/997 cars that just look higher quality and more modern all around. The 981 is gorgeous though it looks much larger than the earlier cars but also much more exotic. I wish all of them were smaller and lighter than they are as something closer to the size of a later model MX-5 or Z3 would be ideal IMO. I would love for them to stay with the flat six but a move to turbo 4's does not automatically make the earlier NA models collector cars as I feel most people see old cars as just that...old cars. There were plenty of turbocharged cars in the 80's that are just barely starting to gain any sort of footing in the collector car marketplace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
For the time being the 997 and particularly 987 look dated. The 986 looks more "new" than the 987 does (Amber lights aside.) I feel that the 981 will not age as well either.

We have already came to the point that 9x6 porsches are being featured in media. Taken 3 which I watched recently had a 996 hero car, and I recently watched a film called "love me" featuring an 03, 04 boxster s as driven by a highschooler simply ment to serve as a classy, tasteful, modern classic in the film. (It oddly had red dials!)
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:29 PM   #15

As far as Porsches go, collector cars are those with limited production engines (relative to today's production figures).
Unlike a collector car, only a very small % of Porsches have recouped their original sticker prices. Certainly when you consider just how expensive those cars were in their day with way higher interest rates.
To be a "collector Porsche" they can be NA or then can Turbo, just as long as they don't make tens of thousands of them a year.
Those days are firmly in Porsche's past. They'll sell 200K Porsches this year. Keep that up for five years and you're up to your eyeballs in Porsches.
Not enough buyers care whether they are NA or Turbo to "boost" prices above their original stickers.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-23-2015 at 01:38 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:19 PM   #16

Possible, however I doubt it will be in our lifetime.
gomarlins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post

Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:31 PM   #18
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
As far as Porsches go, collector cars are those with limited production engines (relative to today's production figures).
Unlike a collector car, only a very small % of Porsches have recouped their original sticker prices. Certainly when you consider just how expensive those cars were in their day with way higher interest rates.
To be a "collector Porsche" they can be NA or then can Turbo, just as long as they don't make tens of thousands of them a year.
Those days are firmly in Porsche's past. They'll sell 200K Porsches this year. Keep that up for five years and you're up to your eyeballs in Porsches.
Not enough buyers care whether they are NA or Turbo to "boost" prices above their original stickers.
Then my 04 996 Targa is destined to be a collector car, they only made 508 that year
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:30 PM   #19

When I look at the cars that are valued over their contemporaries what stands out is that it had mass appeal and was part of a revolution. The 986 specifically, meets these criteria by causing a huge sensation when introduced, was a new- for- the- times formula ( mid-engine resulting in superior handling dynamics), and will be the last Porsche's without electronic interference/ interface. Rarity alone doesn't equate to high demand- there are many examples but I can't remember their names. Sensational, mass appeal at the time of production plants the necessary seed ( that's why a stock example is most desirable) so that when people reach the age where they begin to become nostalgic about their youth they remember 'where they were at' including music and other passions they felt. And while they may not have been able to have that 'thing' then, they can at this later date.

Last edited by woodsman; 01-24-2015 at 12:36 PM.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote