Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2014, 04:17 AM   #1

My trunk lid is different and no spoiler

Greetings all. First time post. Let me introduce myself.

About 4 months ago, I wanted to buy a car to enjoy for the summer. It was either a Crossfire, BMW Z3 or Z4, Audi TT or a SLK but out of the blue I just did a search on carsforsale.com for "convertibles" and BOOM, a Porsche came up. I never dreamed of owning a Porsche but now I will never look back again. I love it. My heart skips a beat even when it's sitting in my garage.

I ended up getting a '00 Boxster S with the 6-speed. But after reading some more and looking at other pictures I noticed mine doesn't have the automatic spoiler and the break light at the top by the window. I'll try to attach the picture. Did the previous owner do some modifications or was this a different option?

Thanks.

Thanks

John N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 04:53 AM   #2

It looks like you have one of the factory aerokits, do you also have side skirts and a slightly different front bumper than most other 986 Boxsters? if so then score, that was a very pricy option and looks really good.

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:17 AM   #3

Here's a couple more pics from the front and side.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:28 AM   #4

Score! You have the aerokit option. Sweet. Look under the front trunk at the option code. There should be an AA code listed. That's the code for the aerokit.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:25 AM   #5

A rare option coveted by many. Nice ride and welcome to Porsche!
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:39 AM   #6

That's sweet! Congrats!
Old 12-16-2014, 01:37 PM   #7

Garage
welcome!

You have good taste. I also, have a '00S in blue.
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 02:11 PM   #8

'01S here, also in Blue!
jpc763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 02:56 PM   #9

Garage
Nice looking car. Welcome to the forum
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 02:58 PM   #10

Garage
I love seeing buyers new purchases as it seems so many of these boxsters are uniquely optioned! Nice find, enjoy your car!
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 04:44 PM   #11

It looks like you might have 18" "turbo look" wheels too? Look under your front trunk for the option codes and you can see all the factory options it came with.

I have a 2000 S Ocean blue, I sure do love blue ��
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:10 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John N View Post
Greetings all. First time post. Let me introduce myself.

About 4 months ago, I wanted to buy a car to enjoy for the summer. It was either a Crossfire, BMW Z3 or Z4, Audi TT or a SLK but out of the blue I just did a search on carsforsale.com for "convertibles" and BOOM, a Porsche came up. I never dreamed of owning a Porsche but now I will never look back again. I love it. My heart skips a beat even when it's sitting in my garage.

I ended up getting a '00 Boxster S with the 6-speed. But after reading some more and looking at other pictures I noticed mine doesn't have the automatic spoiler and the break light at the top by the window. I'll try to attach the picture. Did the previous owner do some modifications or was this a different option?

Thanks.

Thanks
I have a silver 99 with the same package. I love it.
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 06:49 AM   #13

Thanks everyone for telling me a little more about my "find".

Yesterday was a sad day. I called the insurance company and placed it in storage mode. It's now sitting in my garage all warm and cozy under cover till spring. I didn't even get a chance to run around with the top down this year 'cuz I bought it so late in the season. But it'll get used a lot next year come spring.

BTW, I love blue too. When I went to go see it for the first time, I thought it was black from the pictures but when I pulled up in the driveway and saw that it was Blue, that is what sealed the deal.

While in storage, should I start the engine about once a month, let it get to normal engine temp and rev up the engine a couple of times to get the oil splashed around a bit, mostly to give the IMS seal a good coating of oil on the inside?
Old 12-17-2014, 06:51 AM   #14

It looks like you've got 3/4 of the Aerokit 1. I see the side skirts, and the rear wing with the correct trunk lid (which is rare). Usually if someone adds the wing, they just disable the automatic spoiler and bolt on a wing. What is the trunk lid made of, is it metal or composite? The front bumper cover on your car is the standard Boxster S cover, that's the only Aerokit 1 piece not on the car from what I see.

Here's a picture of what the Aerokit 1 front bumper cover looks like:
EJ_2001_986_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:09 AM   #15

Garage
Quote:

Yesterday was a sad day. I called the insurance company and placed it in storage mode. It's now sitting in my garage all warm and cozy under cover till spring. I didn't even get a chance to run around with the top down this year 'cuz I bought it so late in the season. But it'll get used a lot next year come spring.

BTW, I love blue too. When I went to go see it for the first time, I thought it was black from the pictures but when I pulled up in the driveway and saw that it was Blue, that is what sealed the deal.

While in storage, should I start the engine about once a month, let it get to normal engine temp and rev up the engine a couple of times to get the oil splashed around a bit, mostly to give the IMS seal a good coating of oil on the inside?
Welcome to the forum and congrats on a beautiful find! Of course I am partial to blue as well

Here is a link to some storage tips and a simple search will find you many more. What ever you do, DO NOT start the car unless you are going to drive it!

http://986forum.com/forums/boxsters-sale-wanted/54518-winter-storage-questions.html
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:50 AM   #16

It makes sense. Before I bought it I did the carfax and there was a report of some front end damage so that makes me believe that they replaced it with a standard front end and not the Aerokit version.

The trunk lid is metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_2001_986_S View Post
It looks like you've got 3/4 of the Aerokit 1. I see the side skirts, and the rear wing with the correct trunk lid (which is rare). Usually if someone adds the wing, they just disable the automatic spoiler and bolt on a wing. What is the trunk lid made of, is it metal or composite? The front bumper cover on your car is the standard Boxster S cover, that's the only Aerokit 1 piece not on the car from what I see.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:38 PM   #17

Quote:

Don't start it until spring. It's hard enough on an engine to start it dead cold with no oil left on the cylinder walls - to do it 4 or 5 times is punishment.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:10 PM   #18

Quote:
It makes sense. Before I bought it I did the carfax and there was a report of some front end damage so that makes me believe that they replaced it with a standard front end and not the Aerokit version.

The trunk lid is metal.
John: re-check the decklid w/ the spoiler - it should be fiberglass.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:17 PM   #19

Congrats

Quote:

Congratulations and welcome to the forum. Beautiful car and great kit.

As was said before, do not start the car unless you're going t drive it. And, put her on a battery tender. I have used the cigarette lighter adapter on a Porsche CTEK successfully for the past six years.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:08 PM   #20
2002 Boxster S

Garage
I have a factory Aerokit II and my trunk lid is metal, too. Why do you think it should be fiberglass?