986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   dead boxster (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55046)

jmccjr 12-08-2014 07:58 AM

dead boxster

I woke up yesterday morning to a dead boxster. as I turned the ignition key the window dropped 3 inches and the rear spoiler deployed but nothing else happened, no lights, bells or whistles. From the advice of this forum, I charged the battery using the power port last night and the charger showed fully charged battery this morning yet still no sign of electrical power to the entire car. attempted to open hood through fuse box but that only sets off the cars alarm. I'm looking for any ideas before I start looking for a shop to tow it to. I'm batting 100% with feedback from the 986forum community and praying this can be fixed by me. thanks in advance.

Timco 12-08-2014 08:33 AM

Dead batt. Swap that first.m
Then check alternator voltages.

particlewave 12-08-2014 09:45 AM

Three common issues to check;

1) Dying battery
2) Water or moisture under drivers seat (immobilizer is there)
3) Failing ignition switch

My vote is #2.

jmccjr 12-08-2014 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 427642)
Three common issues to check;

1) Dying battery
2) Water or moisture under drivers seat (immobilizer is there)
3) Failing ignition switch

My vote is #2.

Thanks for the reply. I checked under the seat and the floor and carpet are dry and dusty. I checked the drains about two weeks ago but not ruling that out because we have had alot of rain the last week and the air if very damp.

Have you heard that on boxsters with alarms that the hood and trunk releases are disabled through the alarm system? Trying to get to the battery to test.

woodsman 12-08-2014 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmccjr (Post 427650)
Have you heard that on boxsters with alarms that the hood and trunk releases are disabled through the alarm system? Trying to get to the battery to test.

No but it may be a completely dead batt. There is a cable in the pass fender area that will release the frunk lid. It may be reachable through the towing hook hole on the front bumper. If it's not there you need to remove the pass wheel and liner to locate it. What 'power port' are you referring to- Cig lighter?

jmccjr 12-08-2014 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodsman (Post 427657)
No but it may be a completely dead batt. There is a cable in the pass fender area that will release the frunk lid. It may be reachable through the towing hook hole on the front bumper. If it's not there you need to remove the pass wheel and liner to locate it. What 'power port' are you referring to- Cig lighter?

Woodsman, I hooked a 3amp battery charger/maintainer through the cig lighter last night before I went to bed and around 3:30am the alarm started to sound (very muffled and slow) and I turned it off by using a key in the door. This morning the battery showed completely charged on the LED display on the charger although everything in car was completely without power. Thanks for helping with this, I just hate to take to shop if its an inexpensive relay/fuse or battery issue.

woodsman 12-08-2014 01:23 PM

You've got to get to that batt. Or pay them to...

jmccjr 12-08-2014 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodsman (Post 427674)
You've got to get to that batt. Or pay them to...

OK will do, I have the breakdown to get to that cable in the wheel well so I will give that a try once tonights snow melts.

jotoole 12-08-2014 05:13 PM

Just for the heck of it you should take a look around underneath the front bumper area. I was in your situation 2 months ago, turns out previous owner had relocated the front trunk release cable. There it was, the loop hanging just behind front right bumper. While I was at it, I replaced the locking lug nuts w/regulars.

Jamesp 12-08-2014 05:33 PM

You can use a jumper battery to operate the front trunk release even if your battery is dead. The instruction booklet in the fuse panel door shows you how to do it. From there you have access to the battery.

jotoole 12-08-2014 05:37 PM

That fuse panel feature not available on my 2000 base. Tried to work around on other circuits, no go.

jmccjr 12-08-2014 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamesp (Post 427705)
You can use a jumper battery to operate the front trunk release even if your battery is dead. The instruction booklet in the fuse panel door shows you how to do it. From there you have access to the battery.

James, I tried the fuse box option but it only made the alarm sound when I touched the terminal with the 12volt power source, hood still wouldn't open.

koosh 12-09-2014 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmccjr (Post 427715)
James, I tried the fuse box option but it only made the alarm sound when I touched the terminal with the 12volt power source, hood still wouldn't open.

hook up your positive of the spare battery to the terminal in the fuse box and the negative to the steering column under the dash, put the whole lot on the drivers footwell, close the door, lock it with the key in the door then press and hold the button to release the hood and it should pop open.

mines set the alarm off just like yours but when i closed and locked the door the button on the key popped it open...